C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Navigation and Infotainment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:00 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Default Navigation and Infotainment?

Since the new Z06 is about a year away will it get a newer navigation system or a newer infotainment system? As fast as the electronic world is upgrading Will the current system be out dated? I don't like my 2012 CTS V Navigation at all compared to my last 2010 BMW navigation system which was worlds ahead of GM, Maybe the 2014 GM system is better? Any input?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

I assume it will get whatever is in the 2015 Stingray. My understanding is that there will be some improvements, such as the new app store they are working on, new options for the video recorder system, and other tweaks. Hopefully they have found and fixed the cause of the glitchy screens that were in early Stingrays, so that should be fixed too. Maybe the iOS car interface will be available for iPhone users.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:27 AM
eegle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't found one yet that is worth what they charge. What I need is a front and back camera for parking.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:32 AM
Ontario Orange
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get lost about once every 5 years ...... I need Nav, like I need the flu.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:30 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I use NAV on my smartphone pretty much every day and I know exactly where Im going. Why? Because I live near Washington, DC and there are 8 million residents/commuters. I wont even pretend like I know whats the fastest route to get to any destination at any given period. Hell I even use it for subway/bus directions and just finished using it to help with my 10-day vacation in Europe. I also used Google Maps navigation for to locate the best reviewed restaurants in my local area, and to catch trains & navigate like a pro around European cities I've never visited before

I'll spring for the NAV system in my C7 order as long as it remains reasonably priced. Meaning $800 or less as it is now. Its still worth it for the few times when I actually need the car based system. While the smartphone NAV has huge advantages in software updates & connectivity.. theres still no better "hands on" interface while driving than the actual cars center console touchscreen. Its much easier to input locations and a passenger can easily assist should you be busy driving lol. There's also spoken directions over the car speakers & having the driving instructions shown on the HUD, DIC and center 8" screen. Using incar NAV means you dont have to worry about your smartphone battery draining or constantly plugging it in to keep it charged. And do I even need mention fumbling with a smartphone while frustrated, lost or in bumper-to-bumper traffic is just asking for an accident that will sure cost more than $800 bucks.

That said I do hope that GM will continue to update both the NAV software and entire MyLink touchscreen interface. One of the most underated topics about the C7, is that the MyLink interface has the ability to be easily updated and should eventually have its own "App store" where more/better functionality can be added down the road. I believe GM has already partnered with Apple to bring its siri voice commands & interaction in some 2014 vehicles to those with Apple devices. This should be just a stepping stone. Eventually our cars should be able to sync 100% with our smartphones and share anything on the smartphone screen. Atleast thats what I hope! Google maps is tons more useful than any OE based navigation system.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...1014-siri.html

Last edited by Daekwan06; 02-17-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
I use NAV on my smartphone pretty much every day and I know exactly where Im going. Why? Because I live near Washington, DC and there are 8 million residents/commuters. I wont even pretend like I know whats the fastest route to get to any destination at any given period. Hell I even use it for subway/bus directions and just finished using it to help with my 10-day vacation in Europe. I also used Google Maps navigation for to locate the best reviewed restaurants in my local area, and to catch trains & navigate like a pro around European cities I've never visited before

I'll spring for the NAV system in my C7 order as long as it remains reasonably priced. Meaning $800 or less as it is now. Its still worth it for the few times when I actually need the car based system. While the smartphone NAV has huge advantages in software updates & connectivity.. theres still no better "hands on" interface while driving than the actual cars center console touchscreen. Its much easier to input locations and a passenger can easily assist should you be busy driving lol. There's also spoken directions over the car speakers & having the driving instructions shown on the HUD, DIC and center 8" screen. Using incar NAV means you dont have to worry about your smartphone battery draining or constantly plugging it in to keep it charged. And do I even need mention fumbling with a smartphone while frustrated, lost or in bumper-to-bumper traffic is just asking for an accident that will sure cost more than $800 bucks.

That said I do hope that GM will continue to update both the NAV software and entire MyLink touchscreen interface. One of the most underated topics about the C7, is that the MyLink interface has the ability to be easily updated and should eventually have its own "App store" where more/better functionality can be added down the road. I believe GM has already partnered with Apple to bring its siri voice commands & interaction in some 2014 vehicles to those with Apple devices. This should be just a stepping stone. Eventually our cars should be able to sync 100% with our smartphones and share anything on the smartphone screen. Atleast thats what I hope! Google maps is tons more useful than any OE based navigation system.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...1014-siri.html
GM is not nimble enough to provide cutting edge apps the way Google and Apple can. Besides there is no money in it. The real money is in subscription based services like OnStar however they are quick to realize that this market is eroding as well. I believe what will eventually happen is they will concede that they make cars and not software and will allow your smartphone to interact with the display systems in the car. Your Google maps and other apps wil remain on your phone but will display in the car. That is where the future technology is heading. Proprietary NAV systems obsolete themselves too soon to be viable.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 PM
wgcatlga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
GM is not nimble enough to provide cutting edge apps the way Google and Apple can. Besides there is no money in it. The real money is in subscription based services like OnStar however they are quick to realize that this market is eroding as well. I believe what will eventually happen is they will concede that they make cars and not software and will allow your smartphone to interact with the display systems in the car. Your Google maps and other apps wil remain on your phone but will display in the car. That is where the future technology is heading. Proprietary NAV systems obsolete themselves too soon to be viable.

Get notified of new replies

To Navigation and Infotainment?

Quick Reply: Navigation and Infotainment?