C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Speculation on 1000hp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Sarasota_Mike
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Speculation on 1000hp?

I'm trying to get an idea of what it will take to get the new Z to 1000hp? Will it be able to retain any version of the current motor or is it a completely new motor? Any guesstimates on the cost of getting to that sort of power? My guess is that this smaller SC is going to be limiting, and if you get rid of that, than you might as well build a complete new motor... Am I wrong in thinking that? Of course I understand that this is all speculation for now since we don't even know the exact stock hp numbers yet.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:40 PM
GrantG
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you talking about 1,000hp at the flywheel or at the ground? If flywheel is ok, then it looks like Late Model Racecraft can get you there with a Stingray and $25k:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-z...d-737rwtq.html

836rwhp is over 1,000hp at the motor. At least I would assume over 15% loss with a torque tube. Most 911's use 15% - they also use a transaxle, but not torque tube...

Last edited by GrantG; 02-06-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:42 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarasota_Mike
I'm trying to get an idea of what it will take to get the new Z to 1000hp? Will it be able to retain any version of the current motor or is it a completely new motor? Any guesstimates on the cost of getting to that sort of power? My guess is that this smaller SC is going to be limiting, and if you get rid of that, than you might as well build a complete new motor... Am I wrong in thinking that? Of course I understand that this is all speculation for now since we don't even know the exact stock hp numbers yet.
This is COMPLETE speculation, but here are my two cents worth:

I think the engine internals (all forged components and a lower compression ratio) are probably good for it.
The SIMPLE way to hit 1000HP would be a wet nitrous shot. Given a tank of race fuel, a good tune, and someone who is not afraid to blow up his $90K car, that will be your direct route to 1000 horsepower.

Doing it the FI route will take a more aggressive camshaft, along with the DOD delete that will require and supporting cam mods valve springs, retainers would be a minimum to pull it off without insane boost numbers. If the FI route is turbo, better exhaust valves would be highly advisable.
It should be possible to do 1000HP crank via a TVS 2300 blower; the blower and maybe the heads may need to be ported. A larger blower can probably pull it off on the stock heads. Either one will probably need intercooler upgrades.

The surest way to do this would be to run a twin turbo setup. Turbocompounding would be a really cool way to do it; push the turbo boost through an FMIC and then into the blower; that would allow it to happen at a lower boost level (from the turbos), there would be no lag to speak of, but you'd have the full weight penalty of the supercharger and it would want to run pretty hot.

The *best* way to do it would probably be an intake manifold swap and a twin turbo kit.

Either one of the two routes available may need fuel system upgrades, although depending on how capable the factory pump is, the cam swap may be able to drive it to 1000hp capacity.

This is all speculative of course.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:51 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default The operative words are blow-up!

http://videos.streetfire.net/recentv...36004baf08.htm

And Nitrous!

Old 02-06-2014, 05:53 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

(I'm not sure that was the one because the computer I'm using won't run it, but, the ingredients are correct. There should be a valve dropping out of a tail pipe on a dyno?)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 02-06-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:40 AM
jsiddall
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
(I'm not sure that was the one because the computer I'm using won't run it, but, the ingredients are correct. There should be a valve dropping out of a tail pipe on a dyno?)
I just see fire and smoke on that one.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Sarasota_Mike
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm certainly not hoping for a result like that dyno run... haha

To go back to some of the other posts, I was not aware that you can add turbo's in addition to the stock SC but I'm just learning a lot of this stuff. I just got rid of a CTS-V and that was fairly easy to get up to 700-800hp with the stock SC, CAI, headers and tune, but I was told the stock SC on the V had a lot of room left which made it very easy to push harder.

I ask about the 1000 hp because I run a little bit of track time for fun and know a few guys with twin turbo's on Vipers which smoked my 08 Z which dyno'ed at 700rwhp withr a good amount of mods

Get notified of new replies

To Speculation on 1000hp?

Quick Reply: Speculation on 1000hp?