C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: Manual or Auto
Manual
30.07%
Auto
69.93%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

What willl be most popular--manual or auto?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 02:02 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Default What willl be most popular--manual or auto?

I, for one, would only be interested in the manual--no slushbox for me.

I would definitely own a DCT-type (automated dual clutch manual for those unfamiliar), if offered.

So, the poll (surprised I haven't seen this yet)--which will you buy?

Last edited by GTB/ZR-1; 02-05-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:10 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
I, for one, would only be interested in the manual--no slushbox for me.

I would definitely own a DCT-type (automated dual clutch manual for those unfamiliar), if offered.

So, the poll (surprised I haven't seen this yet)--which will you buy?

Agreed 100%
Old 02-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

I just voted on what I thought will be more popular and that's the automatic.

I however will almost 100% get the manual because that's how I roll

.......but if the auto is absolutely destroying the manual in performance I would have to consider it......looking forward to testing.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:49 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

My guess is, it will be just like the C5,C6,C7. 70 percent will go for the auto. Although some of us grew up with manuals in our hot cars, the newer generations have not and are more comfortable in an auto. Some of us oldsters, who still enjoy shifting on the back roads, are getting tired of the daily grind in traffic and are looking to go with a modern auto. The manual is fun for a little while, but becomes a chore when one is thru playing. For those who still want to shift all the time, the manual is still available.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:54 PM
racedrvr
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have always driven manual cars. I have only raced manual transmission cars....however I think the auto will be more popular for the masses. I also think performance marketing by GM will give it more attention and therefore increase sales vs the 3 pedal cars. From what I have read on the new auto, the last thing I would call it is a "slushbox".
Old 02-05-2014, 07:16 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Love the manual, will always get the manual (for myself, but not in a shared car), voted automatic. Automatics, unfortunately, are just so much more accessible.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What would I prefer? The Manual. What do I think would be the most popular? The auto. How should I answer this?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Far fewer younger people buy vettes. The audience is predominately older men 60 years or older. Therefore, the auto will no doubt be more popular.

To each his own...but it's manual for me.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:04 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Exactly 6 hours in & the voting is 72% to 23% for the AUTO...

WOW! I'm actually stunned it wasn't closer to 50/50.

It looks like Chevy is making the right call--even though I'll be in the minority w/ my choice lol
Old 02-05-2014, 08:26 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Auto 8 speed transmission that equals the road course and drag strip performance of the manual 7 speed....gets my vote.

Been driving manual transmissions for over 35 years.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by Blackdevil77
What would I prefer? The Manual. What do I think would be the most popular? The auto. How should I answer this?
Ditto. I voted for the manual because I would only buy one with it, but realize that more people will probably buy the two pedal version.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:10 AM
o2baZR1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

As long as I'm physically able, I never want an auto anything, even if it was a Honda Fit.

But, personally I'm not one of those people who prefers fewer units sold for the sole purpose of my car becoming more valuable monetarily or ego-wise. It's worth more to me to see as many people as possible enjoying the car. Because the majority of people who buy a Vette seem to want an automatic, I'm happier that GM is offering one. On the other hand, I hope I never see the day when you can't get a manual and that, as the years go by, seems to be becoming increasingly at risk. Hopefully the auto masses will be considerate on into the future and not kick us third pedal geezers to the curb.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 AM
racedrvr
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Far fewer younger people buy vettes. The audience is predominately older men 60 years or older. Therefore, the auto will no doubt be more popular.

To each his own...but it's manual for me.
Actually I think it's the reverse. Many of us older (I'm retired) guys grew up with manual. I think the younger crowd, in general, would prefer the paddle shifters but for the "slushbox" stigma attached to an auto. Once the specs and the marketing hype of "shifts faster than a DCT" are out, I think the younger crowd will lean towards the auto...and thus that's where my vote went.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Over time, the auto will continue to gain in percentage. Performance of the auto is catching and surpassing the manual.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:01 PM
FastMatt2
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
My guess is, it will be just like the C5,C6,C7. 70 percent will go for the auto. Although some of us grew up with manuals in our hot cars, the newer generations have not and are more comfortable in an auto. Some of us oldsters, who still enjoy shifting on the back roads, are getting tired of the daily grind in traffic and are looking to go with a modern auto. The manual is fun for a little while, but becomes a chore when one is thru playing. For those who still want to shift all the time, the manual is still available.
Back in the C4 days only 1 in something like 16 corvettes were stick shifts....
Old 02-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When men were men this poll would be 100% manual. I can not grasp the concept of a sports coupe with an auto!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:13 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
When men were men this poll would be 100% manual. I can not grasp the concept of a sports coupe with an auto!
Cmon Dan! Your killing me!

Get notified of new replies

To What willl be most popular--manual or auto?

Old 02-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never Sam, your situation is different! Let me ask though, would you drive a manual by preference? I learned on a manual and unless I had no choice I would only drive a stick. Take the new NSX as a for instance, I will have no choice in the matter for it will be paddle shift only. For my money you're the man Sam!!

Last edited by Big Dan 427; 02-06-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:30 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

I grew up on 4 speed sticks, they are a blast but they suck in traffic. The M6 in my 03 Cobra was a kick though.

Who knows....I still have not ruled out a C6 Z06 or ZR1 and get a DD for the daily stuff.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by o2baZR1
On the other hand, I hope I never see the day when you can't get a manual and that, as the years go by, seems to be becoming increasingly at risk.
That is when you buy used and never look back.

Originally Posted by racedrvr
Actually I think it's the reverse. Many of us older (I'm retired) guys grew up with manual. I think the younger crowd, in general, would prefer the paddle shifters but for the "slushbox" stigma attached to an auto. Once the specs and the marketing hype of "shifts faster than a DCT" are out, I think the younger crowd will lean towards the auto...and thus that's where my vote went.
Without going into too much detail, the young guys (younger than 30) who want a DCT and can actually afford a high-end performance car, make up a very small minority. However, as this demographic gets older, they WILL cause the death for the manual.

GM wanted to capitalize on the older guys that wanted a ZO6 who where never able to buy one before because they were only available in stick. I am sure a few younger guys who want the auto and can actually afford the car will tack on a few sales as well.

I find that it's predominately people my age (early to mid thirties - 45), who are younger but still grew up with stick shifts and still want them, that are also a small minority. Most of us reach old age and transform to auto guys for several different reasons. A small percentage of us will drive stick until we die... but there will not be nearly enough of us to save the stick.

Within the next 10 years or so, those younger folks who want the autos who cannot afford the car today, will get older and more will be able to actually afford the car. Couple this with the majority of older folks that will require them, and the market will be dominate by people who want autos. Right now, there is still enough of us manual guys that still want it...but that era is quickly coming to an end. Sadly.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 02-06-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: What willl be most popular--manual or auto?