C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 ZO6 is so awesome it makes the C7 look dated

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C7 ZO6 is so awesome it makes the C7 look dated

It is amazing to me how different the Z car makes the C7 look, I mean they hardly even resemble each other. Almost all that IMO was wrong with the C7 they have corrected with the new Z model. The wide body, the massive rubber, the splitter and side skirts, the "real" spoiler and of course the power plant. I mean geez, they gave the C7 a 24hp increase and kicked up the Z by 120. I truly felt another Corvette wasn't on my radar until the release of the new ZO6, GM seems to have listened and made some excellent choices they've implemented into the Z.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:12 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Welcome back, Dan.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:17 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

I think the new Z06 makes the base model look wimpy, just like the C6Z did with the C6 base model.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:30 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I was not a fan of the C7 but I will beg borrow and steal to try and afford the $100k this car is gonna cost. The whole aspect of the car blows the base C7 away and I'm glad I don't own a base now. It does look wimpy and outdated sitting next to the ZO6. BTW what happened to all you people that said the new C7 doesn't need the wide tires anymore because the car is so far advanced mechanically and rubber wise that it will do just fine and doesn't need the 'gimmick' of wide rubber to compete like the wide body uses. Well GM went right back to the wide body and wide rubber. Or is this a 'gimmick' also.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 AM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
I was not a fan of the C7 but I will beg borrow and steal to try and afford the $100k this car is gonna cost. The whole aspect of the car blows the base C7 away and I'm glad I don't own a base now. It does look wimpy and outdated sitting next to the ZO6. BTW what happened to all you people that said the new C7 doesn't need the wide tires anymore because the car is so far advanced mechanically and rubber wise that it will do just fine and doesn't need the 'gimmick' of wide rubber to compete like the wide body uses. Well GM went right back to the wide body and wide rubber. Or is this a 'gimmick' also.
The C7 Stingray eats the Grand Sport all up in almost every measurable metric. Pushing it to the next level is easiest to accomplish with more rubber.

I don't see any mystery here, nor do the skinny tire lovers need to concede anything. Both cars are improvements over their predecessors.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Ummm. The base model doesn't need the wide tires. At least from a handling perspective. The Z06 with 650ish HP sure as hell will. There is obviously a very big difference between the Stingray and the Z06!

I have a C7 Z51 and it replaced my 09 Z06 and I can tell you from first hand experience, that the C7 base is just fine with it's smaller tires and handles every bit as well as my Z06 did.

That said, I agree with most on this thread. The Z06 is really well done and does make the base look a tad wimpy however a set of side skirts and a front splitter on the base model will certainly close the gap a bit. I will say that I am extremely impressed with my C7 Z51. It's truly an amazing car on every level and I can only imagine how this Z06 is going to be. I'd venture to say it will be absolutely insane and violently fast too! Hats of to GM. They raised the bar so much with the C7 that I'm still shocked at how good this car really is and can only imagine how great the Z06 will be on every level.

Personally, I have no regrets about getting my Z51 now and have every intention of getting the Z06 in 3 years when the prices come down to earth just like I did with my C6's. Those of you with cars on order, I can't wait to hear your reviews this time next year! That car will be an absolute beast yet extremely well refined. Congrats to you guys with orders in place!

Last edited by slief; 02-03-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:17 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
The C7 Stingray eats the Grand Sport all up in almost every measurable metric. .
If that's a jab at my GS your barking up the wrong tree as I could care less what the C7 would do to my GS. All as I know and care is the GS with its wide body and massive tires is by far the better looking of the two. I couldn't drive either car to it's capabilities to see the difference ( just like everybody else here ) so your analogy is a moot point as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:37 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Considering the original Jalopnik leak was a view of the narrow Stingray body panels and not the widened ones that have ended up on the ZO6, I think that most Corvette fans still couldn't visualize what the car would look like. Now that everybody has seen the car in person and have accepted the new progressive look, they widened it to what is now the final proportions. I think both cars are totally appropriate to the overall C7 formula. If you compare the ZO6 exterior dimensions to any one car, it is the Ferrari 458 that comes nearest to the ZO6. The ZO6 is actually 3/4s of a inch wider than the 458 at 77" vs 76.3". It's shorter than the F-car at 177" vs 178.2" but actually has a longer wheelbase of 106.7" to 104.3" for the 458. If anyone of you have seen a 458 driving down the road, it looks incredibly wide and menacing. The ZO6 will have that same menacing look.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

For me it's the whole combination of changes, not just any one item. The Z car looks like a stout beast next to a C7 which is nice to see such a distinguishable difference. As we all know in the past many "regular" folks couldn't tell the difference when looking at a Corvette, the new Z defines it fantastically!!
Old 02-03-2014, 12:42 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

A little wimpy as stated above, but dated? Not so much...
Old 02-03-2014, 12:55 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

To me, the C7 is not dated. It's an awesome head turning very fast street car. Most non gear heads won't know the difference between a C7 or a C7 Z06. Obviously us vette junkies and other assorted car nuts, will get excited by the more muscular presence of the Z06, not to mention the total package of a street supercar.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Eagle Ray 7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

If that's a jab at my GS your barking up the wrong tree as I could care less what the C7 would do to my GS. All as I know and care is the GS with its wide body and massive tires is by far the better looking of the two. I couldn't drive either car to it's capabilities to see the difference ( just like everybody else here ) so your analogy is a moot point as far as I'm concerned.
Just like we don't care you drive an OLD car!

Last edited by Eagle Ray 7; 02-03-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:10 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

That thread was like watching Comedy central.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:14 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Eagle Ray 7
Just like we don't care you drive an OLD car!
How does the Kool-Aid taste?
Old 02-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Toxic Z
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
It is amazing to me how different the Z car makes the C7 look, I mean they hardly even resemble each other. Almost all that IMO was wrong with the C7 they have corrected with the new Z model. The wide body, the massive rubber, the splitter and side skirts, the "real" spoiler and of course the power plant. I mean geez, they gave the C7 a 24hp increase and kicked up the Z by 120. I truly felt another Corvette wasn't on my radar until the release of the new ZO6, GM seems to have listened and made some excellent choices they've implemented into the Z.

Agreed that the C7 Z, looks awesome. However, It was developed with the C7R... Because the C7 R had a much less than Stellar debut at Rolex.. I think that the jury is out regarding the performance of C7 Z. After all, the performance of C7R at Rolex is the only data we have at this point.

Do we buy the C7 Z because of looks?
Old 02-03-2014, 02:59 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

At Rolex, one of the car's sequential trans had issues. No sequential trans on the C7Z. They also had a radiator puncture. That's before even mentioning the different engine, aero from the C7Z.

I'm not sure how any of that translates to how the C7Z will or will not perform.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Eagle Ray 7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

How does the Kool-Aid taste?
Taste good cry baby!!!

Get notified of new replies

To C7 ZO6 is so awesome it makes the C7 look dated

Old 02-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

I don't think it would be fair to judge the car on its maiden voyage at the Rolex but all in all it did pretty well. Just like when SRT introduced the Gen V last year, it took some time to hone it in but they looked good at the end of last year and at Rolex. I can't speak for what equipment they share either but I'm pretty confident the Z will be a real performer.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:15 PM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
Ummm. The base model doesn't need the wide tires. At least from a handling perspective. The Z06 with 650ish HP sure as hell will. There is obviously a very big difference between the Stingray and the Z06!

I have a C7 Z51 and it replaced my 09 Z06 and I can tell you from first hand experience, that the C7 base is just fine with it's smaller tires and handles every bit as well as my Z06 did.

That said, I agree with most on this thread. The Z06 is really well done and does make the base look a tad wimpy however a set of side skirts and a front splitter on the base model will certainly close the gap a bit. I will say that I am extremely impressed with my C7 Z51. It's truly an amazing car on every level and I can only imagine how this Z06 is going to be. I'd venture to say it will be absolutely insane and violently fast too! Hats of to GM. They raised the bar so much with the C7 that I'm still shocked at how good this car really is and can only imagine how great the Z06 will be on every level.

Personally, I have no regrets about getting my Z51 now and have every intention of getting the Z06 in 3 years when the prices come down to earth just like I did with my C6's. Those of you with cars on order, I can't wait to hear your reviews this time next year! That car will be an absolute beast yet extremely well refined. Congrats to you guys with orders in place!
Well said IMO and my thoughts all the way. The moment I saw the C7 my '08 Z went on the chopping block, no regrets and same timeline or sooner for the Z version in just the right color.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

It does make the entire C6 lineup look dated...but the C7? Yeah right

Quick Reply: C7 ZO6 is so awesome it makes the C7 look dated