C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A temporary aero package for a 'track weekend' is acceptable!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A temporary aero package for a 'track weekend' is acceptable!

On the other hand asking loyal fans and fomer ZO6 owners to purchase a $100,000.00 car with what looks like temporary body shop patterns for parts in the making, leaves a lot to be desired

Thoughts?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Beaz
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shurshot
On the other hand asking loyal fans and fomer ZO6 owners to purchase a $100,000.00 car with what looks like temporary body shop patterns for parts in the making, leaves a lot to be desired

Thoughts?
When did you get a chance to see it in person?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I'm a current Z06 owner...I'm going to Detroit tomorrow for a special Corvette group only event Saturday morning...I am a buyer...and I love every damn bit of the car. I skipped buying a C6Z, built my C5Z in anticipation of this very car. This car is a weapon...period.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:40 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

You do know that they are offering 3 stages of aero...mild, moderate, and severe. I personally love all the aggressive aero and I am a current C6Z owner who added aero as well. Stuff is functional...especially on the track. Looks great too IMO.

If you don't like it and just want to cruise the street...get it without it.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Even if it didn't have the 3 different aero-performance levels I don't see GM forcing people to buy a track package. The Z06 is designed and built for a certain demographic and if you don't fit into the demographic don't buy the car. You can avoid all of that by buying a base level stingray. Maybe they should have done what they did with the old L88 engined cars and the C3 ZR1 and ZR2 option packages. Include mandatory heater and radio delete option codes if any of the other 3 options were ordered.

Bill
Old 01-16-2014, 07:17 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RC000E
I'm a current Z06 owner...I'm going to Detroit tomorrow for a special Corvette group only event Saturday morning...I am a buyer...and I love every damn bit of the car. I skipped buying a C6Z, built my C5Z in anticipation of this very car. This car is a weapon...period.
Without a doubt the car is a weapon, and one BMF at that

That being said I believe the purist with a first on race day attitude when nothing else matters will be okay with 'rubicon fender extensions'

However the real street/track owner and successful entrepreneur who has a wife and lives in a world where opinions matters, when you pull up to the valet in a car with what looks like parts held on by rivets......... the new ZO6 is not looking anywhere near as refined as the C6ZR1 even if it does beat it by 5 seconds on an over 7 minute track .
Old 01-16-2014, 07:25 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

That being said I believe the purist with a first on race day attitude when nothing else matters will be okay with 'rubicon fender extensions'

However the real street/track owner and successful entrepreneur who has a wife and lives in a world where opinions matters, when you pull up to the valet in a car with what looks like parts held on by rivets......... the new ZO6 is not looking anywhere near as refined as the C6ZR1 even if it does beat it by 5 seconds on an over 7 minute track .
Perfectly said !

Rubicon....
Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by RC000E
I'm going with the same group. I land in Detroit at 11am. Are you going to the dinner tomorrow night? I think I may go and pick up my shirt from there. I'm a buyer as well, deposit paid. I'm going to option this one to the max.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:18 PM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

From pictures of the new z, I could not disagree more with your statement that the zr1 is more refined. Apart from the aggressive spoiler on the z, the zr1 has very similar areo looks IMO. Looking basically side by side at a dealership, the stingray looks far more refined IMO then the zr1. The lines and especially the headlights make the c7 more refined. Maybe it's the color for some people. The grey c7z06 looks far less aggressive then the yellow. I can't see how the carbon fiber on the new z anything but upscale and not cheap looking. Look at the fast amount of super cars/hypercars with aggressive carbon areo. There's a big difference between a lot of the cheap "carbon fiber" aftermarket and the real carbon fiber with the expensive clear coat that won't get killed by sunlight. I can see what you mean about going to a nice dinner or hotel and the z won't be looked at as nice as jags, some Porsches, astons, ect. But that is not the point of the new z with the top trim. IMO the base c7 is the great dd, weekend track, gt all around amazing sports car and is marketed as such. The new z is mostly track oriented and with how the trend in the market for cars like these (porsche gt3/rs, c63 black series, all of the track edition m3s, jaguars xkrs, Astons ect) is to have a lot of areo to be a great track day car.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Strange set of priorities for a Z06 purchaser. Get a base Stingray, put a blower on it and you can happily valet and not worry about other's opinions.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mattkilla2015
From pictures of the new z, I could not disagree more with your statement that the zr1 is more refined. Apart from the aggressive spoiler on the z, the zr1 has very similar areo looks IMO. Looking basically side by side at a dealership, the stingray looks far more refined IMO then the zr1. The lines and especially the headlights make the c7 more refined. Maybe it's the color for some people.
Do you really think the C7Z looks as refined as a ZR1 or new (or any other year) GT3?

A track toy is one thing, but 'refined' suggest something else.

IMO you have yet to learn the difference
Old 01-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Caddylac10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's been a lot of testing going on with the aero package so I'm sure they put the Z together fairly quickly for show. They may end up refining the pieces a bit for production but that's basically how they look.

The front splitter is cf but the end caps don't appear to be. I'm sure the rocker panels are cf too just like the ZR1 but I don't think the spoiler will be cf because it has some adjustable components to it.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Do you really think the C7Z looks as refined as a ZR1 or new (or any other year) GT3?
And you don't think this spoiler isn't just a little too "over the top" to be called "refined"?

Michael
Old 01-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 599 Likes on 220 Posts

Then get the stingray. Its perfect for you.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Michael A
And you don't think this spoiler isn't just a little too "over the top" to be called "refined"?

Michael
The ultimate answer to your question IMO lies within the eye of the beholder.

If the spoiler on the GT3 was attached with highly visible bolts as the ZO7 spoiler is I would agree with you

But coming from the company who since the introduction of the whale tail in the late 70's, they have done a good job of tuning down a very functional spoiler.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:33 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this forum.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:59 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

So YOU liked those whimpy spoilers on the C6? They had to have done almost nothing! The only way to make a major dent in the track times is with more aero and a stiffer suspension. Both are present on the Z28, and on the way in this camp! It's also pretty easy!

I was getting tired of griping about it here!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-16-2014 at 11:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A temporary aero package for a 'track weekend' is acceptable!

Old 01-16-2014, 11:03 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

And if you don't like them and they are temporary like you say you can take them off as needed (rubber plug the holes).

That was MY original idea!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:58 AM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

A track toy is one thing, but 'refined' suggest something else.

IMO you have yet to learn the difference
Yes, the new z (I should have put minus the big spoiler) looks more refined then the zr1. I got that conclusion from looking at hd video and hd pictures of the new z plus how more refined the base c7 looked side by side next to a zr1 at a dealership I was at. I pointed out the headlights, lines and I'll add the supercharger hood on the zr1 look less refined and cheaper quality then the new c7. My only statement for a gt3 was the new z is in line with the trend or whatever you want to call it to have a lot of areo on the suoer/hyper cars.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:23 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A

Good point.

Quick Reply: A temporary aero package for a 'track weekend' is acceptable!