C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Expendables

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:52 AM
TacDoc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Expendables

I know negative comments have been flowing regarding the "black plastic" front fender liner extensions as well as the end plates on the front spoiler but here is a consideration. How much are these to replace? Keeping in mind the Z07 is the track rats car, not a "poser" ride, these components are subject to track damage. The CF front splinter is a concern to me. My 09 Viper has a HEAVY poly rub strip on the leading edge of the CF to accept rubs instead of the CF. I cringe when driving my ZR1 and 45 degree every driveway etc to avoid damage. The Z07 is not intended to be bought by the " I have to have the latest and greatest crowd ". It is for us track rats, and replacement cost for track damage is an issue. I love the idea of non CF components in "at risk" locations. I rub my CF splitter on my GTM and I am risking $300, I rub my ZR1 and I am looking at four figures. Please keep the expendables affordable GM.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:19 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

its for any one that can cover costs of ownership....good lord its a mass produced street car..
Old 01-16-2014, 02:41 PM
TacDoc
Racer

Missed my point Troller. The gripes over the black plastic fail to take into account some items are made that way to deal with the abuse the intended use will bring. You don't want durables, don't get the package.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 614 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by TacDoc
I know negative comments have been flowing regarding the "black plastic" front fender liner extensions as well as the end plates on the front spoiler but here is a consideration. How much are these to replace? Keeping in mind the Z07 is the track rats car, not a "poser" ride, these components are subject to track damage. The CF front splinter is a concern to me. My 09 Viper has a HEAVY poly rub strip on the leading edge of the CF to accept rubs instead of the CF. I cringe when driving my ZR1 and 45 degree every driveway etc to avoid damage. The Z07 is not intended to be bought by the " I have to have the latest and greatest crowd ". It is for us track rats, and replacement cost for track damage is an issue. I love the idea of non CF components in "at risk" locations. I rub my CF splitter on my GTM and I am risking $300, I rub my ZR1 and I am looking at four figures. Please keep the expendables affordable GM.
With the introduction of an auto tranny and removeable roof, it will be that crowd that buys it.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:07 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I'm sure C7 Carbon and others will have replacement parts that will be MUCH cheaper than true GM parts.
If it weren't for aftermarket alternatives I wouldn't even have a splitter on my GS,,, just too expensive to replace all the time at OEM costs. On the other hand I just bought a blem CF unit for $199.00. I wont cry hard when I chip the front of it a bit.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:06 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

hope the splitters are a little more sturdy then the c6 versions
Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,962 Likes on 1,385 Posts

I agree. I hope they have some non-carbon fiber replacements. At least all the parts are black, so no color matching and painting, which is nice (even though the automatic top out cruiser crowd is complaining). The cheaper the better for the low hanging parts.

Michael
Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

Funny how they didn't complain about the same gurney flaps on the C6 GS, Z06 and ZR1. They also haven't seen all the chips resulting from debris thrown up by track tires that eventually destroys CF parts in those areas. Finally get a car for track rats and the waxers are doing their best to try and ruin it. They will flood out of their dens and purchase every one they can find then never drive them except to the local cruise in on a sunny dry day and abuse the car by letting it sit for long periods of time.

Bill
Old 01-16-2014, 10:07 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

The track rats will have their car...it's called the Z07. Does that mean everyone who wants the new Z has to buy the Z07 ? No...I assume that's why there are 2 less expensive platforms that will be available.

Last edited by sam90lx; 01-17-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 AM
Eagle Ray 7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
With the introduction of an auto tranny and removeable roof, it will be that crowd that buys it.
Why does this bug people, it's a car not a moon rock!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:34 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Funny how they didn't complain about the same gurney flaps on the C6 GS, Z06 and ZR1. They also haven't seen all the chips resulting from debris thrown up by track tires that eventually destroys CF parts in those areas. Finally get a car for track rats and the waxers are doing their best to try and ruin it. They will flood out of their dens and purchase every one they can find then never drive them except to the local cruise in on a sunny dry day and abuse the car by letting it sit for long periods of time.

Bill
It's interesting how "Bill" and "Michael," the two most vocal, judgmental supposed "track" boys feel compelled to sign their name at the end of every post. I don't suppose an overinflated ego or feeling of superiority have anything to do with that, eh? Where's that book on Freud......

When I buy my C7 Z06 I'll be sure to consult with you both......after all, you guys seem to know exactly what everyone should do with their car. I certainly wouldn't want you to think of me as a "waxer" or "poser." That would really ruin my day.....you guys are my heros!

Newsflash: the percentage of potential owners like you mean nothing to GM. The future success of Corvette is all about volume and brand image....hence the lack of expenditure on a real front end design.

This Z06 is a really half-assed effort....those fender and front fascia molds are damned expensive...."Might as well just keep the Stingray front fascia for now and see if the damed thing sells. Hell, just throw a couple plastic strips on there to cover the front wheels. They'll think it's cool."

If the Z06 does sell well, there might a refresh in couple of years with a proper redesign. If not, there's always a GS to resurrect sales numbers. It's happened before, right?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:46 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
It's interesting how "Bill" and "Michael," the two most vocal, judgmental supposed "track" boys feel compelled to sign their name at the end of every post. I don't suppose an overinflated ego or feeling of superiority have anything to do with that, eh? Where's that book on Freud......

When I buy my C7 Z06 I'll be sure to consult with you both......after all, you guys seem to know exactly what everyone should do with their car. I certainly wouldn't want you to think of me as a "waxer" or "poser." That would really ruin my day.....you guys are my heros!

Newsflash: the percentage of potential owners like you mean nothing to GM. The future success of Corvette is all about volume and brand image....hence the lack of expenditure on a real front end design.

This Z06 is a really half-assed effort....those fender and front fascia molds are damned expensive...."Might as well just keep the Stingray front fascia for now and see if the damed thing sells. Hell, just throw a couple plastic strips on there to cover the front wheels. They'll think it's cool."

If the Z06 does sell well, there might a refresh in couple of years with a proper redesign. If not, there's always a GS to resurrect sales numbers. It's happened before, right?
God please no more grand sport! The Z can be ordered without all the big aero, I'm a 1/4 guy, of I buy one the aero will be kept to a minimum, but I'll still have that motor which will have more than 625hp /635tq as stated by GM, should be an easy 10 second car with a warranty that is what I want. My other cars should be quicker but I always worry about breaking.
The busa is built to take 600+ hp! motor trans... Everything I have over 30k in it, but flukes can happen, I love that factory warranty.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:55 AM
TacDoc
Racer

Right on point, don't need the aero, pocket the savings.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:06 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by TacDoc
Originally Posted by sam90lx
The track rats will have their car...it's call the Z07. Does that mean everyone who wants the new Z has to buy the Z07 ? No...I assume that's why there are 2 less expensive platforms that will be available.
Originally Posted by Eagle Ray 7
Why does this bug people, it's a car not a moon rock!
This ..........
Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

In addition, if someone orders a Z06/Z07 and never tracks it, does it make them a poser ? It's their money being spent, not yours.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:23 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
God please no more grand sport! The Z can be ordered without all the big aero, I'm a 1/4 guy, of I buy one the aero will be kept to a minimum, but I'll still have that motor which will have more than 625hp /635tq as stated by GM, should be an easy 10 second car with a warranty that is what I want. My other cars should be quicker but I always worry about breaking.
The busa is built to take 600+ hp! motor trans... Everything I have over 30k in it, but flukes can happen, I love that factory warranty.
Rumor has it all 3 versions get the bushwacker flares!
Old 01-17-2014, 10:46 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Default ???

This debate is what makes Corvettes so interesting. They have broad appeal. Waxers, track rats, 1/4 milers, gold chain cruisers, mid-life crisis men, women making a statement, all buy these things. Amazing that GM has managed to keep everyone reasonably happy.

Let me say, however, to everyone hammering the track rats--without these guys and their market, I suspect the Corvette would not have 7 class wins at Le Mans, I believe it is, would not have built a small but loyal following in Europe, and would still offer big motors but inferior brakes, suspensions, etc., which for years Chevy skimped on in many Corvette models because no one demanded better. The track rats have demanded better and it shows in the cars, and it shows in how many fans of European sports cars have at least considered a Corvette recently rather than laughing at them or ignoring them altogether.

Get notified of new replies

To Expendables

Old 01-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,962 Likes on 1,385 Posts

I'm glad Chevy has the guts to build a good car with the goal being performance. They don't want to take a back seat to anyone. It has the most down force of any car they have had in their wind tunnel. Their goal was to be the best. There are plenty of other cars on the market for people not interested in top quality performance. There is no pretending with the Z06. You get the performance, or your don't get the car.

Michael
Old 01-17-2014, 12:31 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
In addition, if someone orders a Z06/Z07 and never tracks it, does it make them a poser ? It's their money being spent, not yours.
Bingo.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:14 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
This debate is what makes Corvettes so interesting. They have broad appeal. Waxers, track rats, 1/4 milers, gold chain cruisers, mid-life crisis men, women making a statement, all buy these things. Amazing that GM has managed to keep everyone reasonably happy.

Let me say, however, to everyone hammering the track rats--without these guys and their market, I suspect the Corvette would not have 7 class wins at Le Mans, I believe it is, would not have built a small but loyal following in Europe, and would still offer big motors but inferior brakes, suspensions, etc., which for years Chevy skimped on in many Corvette models because no one demanded better. The track rats have demanded better and it shows in the cars, and it shows in how many fans of European sports cars have at least considered a Corvette recently rather than laughing at them or ignoring them altogether.
......and these cheap fender flares will create whole new rounds of laughter. Wait until the British guys from Top Gear rip them off with their tea toting little fingers.

Quick Reply: Expendables