C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Expendables

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,389 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
In addition, if someone orders a Z06/Z07 and never tracks it, does it make them a poser ? It's their money being spent, not yours.
Maybe, but as you say it is their money. However, that is not annoying. Constantly complaining about performance parts for the track on a performance car that is designed to be a more track oriented car is annoying. If performance is not primary to them, get a Stingray and put all the marginally functional "look good" parts they want on it. That way they can still "look" the part. As a bonus they would be less annoying to those that want function first.

Once again they are not fender liners. They are not Rubicon flares. They are Gurney Lips. They have an aerodynamic function. People are free to paint them, or wrap them, or cover them with glitter. More power to them.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,398 Posts

The same people complaining about the Gurney Lips will be putting chrome taillight louvers on their car.

Michael
Old 01-17-2014, 10:45 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Missed my point Troller. The gripes over the black plastic fail to take into account some items are made that way to deal with the abuse the intended use will bring. You don't want durables, don't get the package
. Thanks for bringing this up TacDoc. It was my first thought on seeing the cars front wheel wells. What is funny about this controversy is this: The only reason the waxers and wanna be's want this car is because of its reputation(at least past z's have) as a dominant track car that we all expect to be continued with the c7z. They would not want the car if it was made as they say they want it made. That is nuts in my book.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X

Once again they are not fender liners. They are not Rubicon flares. They are Gurney Lips. They have an aerodynamic function. People are free to paint them, or wrap them, or cover them with glitter. More power to them.
Ooohhh...so THAT'S what they're called. Well, that's makes all the difference. No way they look cheap and tacky now.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:21 AM
Nightstalker Medic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
In addition, if someone orders a Z06/Z07 and never tracks it, does it make them a poser ? It's their money being spent, not yours.
I don't think I will track my car but I will Zaino it a lot. Two to three time a week during the winter up here. So, I guess i will be a Poser But it is my money.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:14 AM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Michael A
The same people complaining about the Gurney Lips will be putting chrome taillight louvers on their car.

Michael
Well, now we know what the "A" stands for.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Ooohhh...so THAT'S what they're called. Well, that's makes all the difference. No way they look cheap and tacky now.
Intelligent people have many differences about what they think looks good.

Being willfully ignorant diminishes the creditability of ones criticisms.

However, I guess is could be one of the traits of a bad poser. Good posers at least try to sound like they know something about cars.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:00 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Intelligent people have many differences about what they think looks good.

Being willfully ignorant diminishes the creditability of ones criticisms.

However, I guess is could be one of the traits of a bad poser. Good posers at least try to sound like they know something about cars.
It's got nothing to do with what I know or you think you know. Spin it anyway you want, slice it any way you want: that $hit is cheap., tacky and ugly. It won't stop me from buying one, but it's just another example of GM saving a few bucks and calling it "functional." I guess guys like you are dazzled by that kind of crap......there's one born every minute.

The real "posers" (using that word since you seem to like it) are the guys who think a few strips of cheap aero on their car make them something they're not.......and they go play 'Pro Driver" on track day.

You make me laugh.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TacDoc
I know negative comments have been flowing regarding the "black plastic" front fender liner extensions as well as the end plates on the front spoiler but here is a consideration. How much are these to replace? Keeping in mind the Z07 is the track rats car, not a "poser" ride, these components are subject to track damage. The CF front splinter is a concern to me. My 09 Viper has a HEAVY poly rub strip on the leading edge of the CF to accept rubs instead of the CF. I cringe when driving my ZR1 and 45 degree every driveway etc to avoid damage. The Z07 is not intended to be bought by the " I have to have the latest and greatest crowd ". It is for us track rats, and replacement cost for track damage is an issue. I love the idea of non CF components in "at risk" locations. I rub my CF splitter on my GTM and I am risking $300, I rub my ZR1 and I am looking at four figures. Please keep the expendables affordable GM.
The aluminum skid at the bottom should help to prevent track damage, at least in theory.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

It's got nothing to do with what I know or you think you know. Spin it anyway you want, slice it any way you want: that $hit is cheap., tacky and ugly. It won't stop me from buying one, but it's just another example of GM saving a few bucks and calling it "functional." I guess guys like you are dazzled by that kind of crap......there's one born every minute.

The real "posers" (using that word since you seem to like it) are the guys who think a few strips of cheap aero on their car make them something they're not.......and they go play 'Pro Driver" on track day.

You make me laugh.
I am not "dazzled". I am not ignorant. I know what it is and what it's for. I don't buy cars to impress my friends or strangers on the street. I buy them for me. I don't like paying extra for useless things, or materials. If the materials are engineered to meet their function and is a reasonable value I am happy. I don't think it is cheap and tacky. I think it is functional and made of the right material for the purpose.

You don't like the look. Great I understand that. It is your money. Spend it how you like.

You don't make me laugh. I am just sad for you.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:51 AM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

I am not "dazzled". I am not ignorant. I know what it is and what it's for. I don't buy cars to impress my friends or strangers on the street. I buy them for me. I don't like paying extra for useless things, or materials. If the materials are engineered to meet their function and is a reasonable value I am happy. I don't think it is cheap and tacky. I think it is functional and made of the right material for the purpose.

You don't like the look. Great I understand that. It is your money. Spend it how you like.

You don't make me laugh. I am just sad for you.
C'mon man...turn that frown upside down!
No sadness...no tears.....it gonna be okay! Really!
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2014, 04:34 AM
93LT1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's interesting how "Bill" and "Michael," the two most vocal, judgmental supposed "track" boys feel compelled to sign their name at the end of every post. I don't suppose an overinflated ego or feeling of superiority have anything to do with that, eh? Where's that book on Freud......

When I buy my C7 Z06 I'll be sure to consult with you both......after all, you guys seem to know exactly what everyone should do with their car. I certainly wouldn't want you to think of me as a "waxer" or "poser." That would really ruin my day.....you guys are my heros!

Newsflash: the percentage of potential owners like you mean nothing to GM. The future success of Corvette is all about volume and brand image....hence the lack of expenditure on a real front end design.

This Z06 is a really half-assed effort....those fender and front fascia molds are damned expensive...."Might as well just keep the Stingray front fascia for now and see if the damed thing sells. Hell, just throw a couple plastic strips on there to cover the front wheels. They'll think it's cool."

If the Z06 does sell well, there might a refresh in couple of years with a proper redesign. If not, there's always a GS to resurrect sales numbers. It's happened before, right?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

C'mon man...turn that frown upside down!
No sadness...no tears.....it gonna be okay! Really!
I see you have included a picture of yourself crying about the Gurney Lips.

No need to cry. I am sure you can pay the dealership to paint the Gurney Lips on you Z06 when in comes in.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:02 AM
TacDoc
Racer

......and these cheap fender flares will create whole new rounds of laughter. Wait until the British guys from Top Gear rip them off with their tea toting little fingers.
How are they gong to see the aero when they are trailing a mile back in the fastest thing they build?
Old 01-19-2014, 11:05 AM
TacDoc
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald
The aluminum skid at the bottom should help to prevent track damage, at least in theory.
Hmm, with your level of understanding I would guess the only track you have ever been on is named Hot Wheels.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:46 AM
ttboost1
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow-

Why do semi-successful high end Z06 owners, or people pretend to be, talk all sorts of vile crap simply because it is via the internet?

It makes the whole group look bad. Can you not disagree without being disagreeable?

Imagine you were having these conversations in person, then act accordingly.

It is pretty obvious-

1) More than half of CURRENT Z06 owners do not like the 'jeep' front fender spats. It was NOT an aero decision, it was a 'I don't want to make new molds' by GM's decision.

2) Most also don't like the rear end design.

3) Despite these design issues, some of the people who don't like it will buy it anyways on the used market for a cheaper price.

4) Including myself, GM is costing itself new sales with the design issues people don't like.

The 'track' defender people seem to try to no end to defend the obvious flaws. Why I don't get. If this car came with C7R front fenders, they would be happy, everyone would be happy.

Most people have no issues with the front splitters/parts. It IS mainly the spats, and the lazy image they infer.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:49 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ttboost1
Wow-

Why do semi-successful high end Z06 owners, or people pretend to be, talk all sorts of vile crap simply because it is via the internet?

It makes the whole group look bad. Can you not disagree without being disagreeable?

Imagine you were having these conversations in person, then act accordingly.

It is pretty obvious-

1) More than half of CURRENT Z06 owners do not like the 'jeep' front fender spats. It was NOT an aero decision, it was a 'I don't want to make new molds' by GM's decision.

2) Most also don't like the rear end design.

3) Despite these design issues, some of the people who don't like it will buy it anyways on the used market for a cheaper price.

4) Including myself, GM is costing itself new sales with the design issues people don't like.

The 'track' defender people seem to try to no end to defend the obvious flaws. Why I don't get. If this car came with C7R front fenders, they would be happy, everyone would be happy.

Most people have no issues with the front splitters/parts. It IS mainly the spats, and the lazy image they infer.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:55 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

I see you have included a picture of yourself crying about the Gurney Lips.

No need to cry. I am sure you can pay the dealership to paint the Gurney Lips on you Z06 when in comes in.
Pretty weak, bro. I guess I've been sparring with a one-armed guy. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Expendables