C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Grandsport

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:04 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by hhntr111
How would we feel about a C7 GS with that "old tech" LS7, making about 525hp?
It depends, have they reworked the valves...
Old 01-16-2014, 09:10 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
It depends, have they reworked the valves...
The upcoming Z-28 buyers are hoping they have.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

How about you guys leave the trolling in the C6 general section.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

I for one was hoping the LS7 would finds it's way into the C7 Z06. I love the 427!
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LFZ
How about some of you Z guys getting a sense of humor..
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Yeah...this is for the C7 trolls ^^^^
Old 01-16-2014, 09:48 PM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

GM has targeted the 911 with the Vette. How many variants of the 911 are there? That's rhetorical, because the correct answer is ∞.

So, hopefully that means GM will also offer a plethora of Vette variants, sharing as many components as possible, so they can actually make money on them even if they sell in small volumes.

One other thought about a widebody: It can only exist when compared against a "narrow body". The Stringray is already quite wide and has much larger flares than the C6 did. It looked almost like a widebody....up until the C7Z was revealed. If GM just started with the C7Z body as the base car, would people think it was sufficiently wide? Would people freak out when the C7Z was revealed and it didn't get any WIDER? So, I think expectations are in place that there will be a "standard" and a "wide" version. There can never be a "wide" version without a standard to compare it against.

I hope GM does release a GS, and I hope it is basically a Z06 but with the standard LT1 (maybe with a hotter cam). Split the price difference between the Stingray and the Z06.

-T

Last edited by Trackaholic; 01-17-2014 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:11 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Need a c7 gs

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I agree. There is a large number of people that will want the look without needing or wanting all the power, and the sticker price of the Z06.
I'd love to see a C7 GS.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:20 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 91 Posts

Default I agree

Originally Posted by BMadden
I hate the "poser" label applied to the Grand Sport. That just smacks of insecure egomania on the part of Z06 owners. They seriously need to get over themselves with that type of arrogance. It's a Corvette, not a Veyron so no matter which one you have it's not going to be that unique anyway.
I'm embarrassed for these Z06 people bashing the GS. It's like little kids argueing over who has a faster go kart. Grow up! The GS fills a great niche in the Corvette buyers market and keeps interest in the Corvette buying public and keeps the Vette economically viable for GM to continue the series.

I would not have bought a C6 if the Grand Sport wasn't offered. I wanted the wide body look without the racing horsepower/extra cost that a weekend cruise driver like myself doesn't need.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:22 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by danm1
I'm embarrassed for these Z06 people bashing the GS. It's like little kids argueing over who has a faster go kart. Grow up! The GS fills a great niche in the Corvette buyers market and keeps interest in the Corvette buying public and keeps the Vette economically viable for GM to continue the series.

I would not have bought a C6 if the Grand Sport wasn't offered. I wanted the wide body look without the racing horsepower/extra cost that a weekend cruise driver like myself doesn't need.
Very true, not everybody wants a race car. I would hardly call anyone with a GS a poser. It's a great look on the car, period.

But this being a Z06 thread, Discussion of power and track worthiness is at the heart of the discussion. I also am not a huge fan of forced induction. Most likely because I've never really taken the time to study it, so perhaps I am a victim of "contempt prior to investigation".

However, this seem to be the way of the future in performance automobiles. I guess it's just time to come to some acceptance of this. There is still much unknown about this set up in the Z06. But what I am looking forward to is just how fast this technology, now that it is in the mainstream, is going to advance. I bet we are going to see some really cool stuff as they target parasidic power loss and heat soak on these S/C and turbo systems.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:35 AM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
GM has targeted the 911 with the Vette. How many variants of the 911 are there? That's rehtorical, because the correct answer is ∞.

So, hopefully that means GM will also offer a plethora of Vette variants, sharing as many components as possible, so they can actually make money on them even if they sell in small volumes.

One other thought about a widebody: It can only exist when compared against a "narrow body". The Stringray is already quite wide and has much larger flares than the C6 did. It looked almost like a widebody....up until the C7Z was revealed. If GM just started with the C7Z body as the base car, would people think it was sufficiently wide? Would people freak out when the C7Z was revealed and it didn't get any WIDER? So, I think expectations are in place that there will be a "standard" and a "wide" version. There can never be a "wide" version without a standard to compare it against.

I hope GM does release a GS, and I hope it is basically a Z06 but with the standard LT1 (maybe with a hotter cam). Split the price difference between the Stingray and the Z06.

-T

I caution you on your use of common sense. It freaks out the lesser folk, and will most likely cause even more whining than usual.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Cypher
IMO, if the new Z only sells 500-1000 units/yr…you can bet there’ll be another lower priced knock-off.

GM sold too many C6 GS’s to ignore that buyer.
The Z will sell 20-30 thousand units adding a GS will water down the line again, I hope GM doesn't make a GS, the GS should have stopped with the C4, this is why C6 models have dropped faster than any other gen vette, base , base vert, GS, Z06, 427 vert, ZR1, I don't want to see a corvette on every street stop, it's dead of winter in Chicago and I already am seeing allot, I can only imagine summer.
I need to see the Z07 in person, I have done a track day, but 1/4 is my thing, I have a year to decide, the only thing I know about the C7 is that it will be black if I buy one.(all my cars are black even my DD)
Old 01-17-2014, 03:55 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
The Z will sell 20-30 thousand units adding a GS will water down the line again, I hope GM doesn't make a GS, the GS should have stopped with the C4, this is why C6 models have dropped faster than any other gen vette, base , base vert, GS, Z06, 427 vert, ZR1, I don't want to see a corvette on every street stop, it's dead of winter in Chicago and I already am seeing allot, I can only imagine summer.
I need to see the Z07 in person, I have done a track day, but 1/4 is my thing, I have a year to decide, the only thing I know about the C7 is that it will be black if I buy one.(all my cars are black even my DD)
I think the Vette needs to sell in great numbers for GM to keep it around.

It's interesting that you've seen several, because I'm in CA near San Jose, and I have not seen one yet in person. I remember seeing C5s and C6s all the time, but not yet a C7 (or course they've barely been out, so that's understandable). I do think I see far more 911s than Vettes (of any generation) these days. IMO GM should milk the Vette in the same way Porsche does the 911. That means several variants at different price points, each one having a slightly different attitude. The Z06 should have been more track focused (IMO), the ZR1 should be the pure crazy version, the GS maybe slightly tamer, they need the widebody Vert, etc.

The more Vettes the better I say.

-T
Old 01-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Z will sell 20-30 thousand units adding a GS will water down the line again,

GM should hire you as their “Optimism Coach”...the entire Vette line-up combined hasn’t seen sales volume like that since 2008 and I don’t see those days returning anytime soon.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,001 Likes on 471 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Wow...Put down the crack pipe...At 80-100 grand they are not going to sell 20-30 THOUSAND Z06's and in no way will a GS water anything down. It's the model that kept the corvette from dying.

GM seems to have created the C7 to reel a few people in...when sales fall off of that the GS will get announced as others have said. I believe that to be true and we will just have to wait and see I guess.

Link to production.

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2013...ction-numbers/
Old 01-17-2014, 09:27 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I hate to shock the elitists out there, but GM is out to make money. They would love to see a C7 (any variant they can make money on) in every garage in the country if they could.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:00 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

I think the GS is coming. How else do you explain the wide body vert pics on here and I never heard GM say the Z06 was going to be offered in a vert.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Grandsport

Old 01-17-2014, 11:05 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 660 Posts

This is exactly what I was talking about earlier.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:07 AM
RT2SJB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac-to.html

Check out the new dual clutch in the cadillac ATS is the ZR1 next? You guys have no idea what is in the works at GM.......
Old 01-17-2014, 11:11 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by danm1

Read my posts from day one-2010. I have always supported the Grand Sport and I own a Z06. I personally know two ZR1 owners and about a half dozen Z06 owners and none of them run down the GS. It's a very minor, but vocal, number of Z06 owners(and also some non Corvette owners) that are butt hurt over the successful grand Sport.

Quick Reply: C7 Grandsport