C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7Z or Gen V Viper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:11 PM
yenko boy
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLANB
SRT stated publicly think year or so back that they would be getting auto at some point. Hopefully they still will but may go standard if they offer a hill assist like in the c7 and the challenger. As far as know no hill assist yet in the vipers. They are limiting their potential market but not offering auto especially since the z06 has one as option now.

Found that statement from SRT :
http://www.tflcar.com/2012/11/the-ne...ng-to-srt-ceo/
I don't see a dct happening in the viper... Maybe they can buy into gm's 8l90e(think that would be embarrassing for them though) or have Zf design them an 8speed.

Just found this also, sad... http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/srt-...nsmission.html

Last edited by yenko boy; 02-04-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:56 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
I got my base SRT viper with a 1000 miles for low $90s incl ttl. It's way easier to drive than my 06 coupe (traded). The gen III was a tough DD. The gen V will see a lot more daily use and 640hp and new gearing are plenty enough for my average skill level.

Seen a C7 and is a handsome car no doubt.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Sweet congrats!

I got a killer deal on mine too $95k brand spanking new..

Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 PM
72MiuraSV
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Viper. I am a huge fan of the c7, it is one of the very very few pure sports cars that is still being manufactured today. However, The Viper has and always will be the real driving machine. The Viper has NEVER gone soft since it's introduction in 92. The Corvette has almost always had that automatic tranny option and other compromises for comfort.
The Viper isn't made to please rich people that just want to have that image for the sunday cruise, yet they want comfort and they don't know how to drive around a track properly. The Viper has only been offered as one model. There has never been a "softer" viper submodel or auto trans. I honestly don't think you can compare a Viper with a Corvette, they are just in a different class. I'd rather have a driver focused car over something mainstream and compromised as far as pure sports car. Ralph Gilles: "We have no interest in competing with Corvette. Never have. You’re going to see Corvettes at every 7-11 and on every street corner. That’s not us. We are really an exotic, we’ve always wanted to be—that’s all we ever wanted to be. I struggle with the comparisons." If you want a Viper, you want a driving machine period.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:12 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

I think the Viper is better looking and has a more cohesive design. It is definitely a Viper no ifs and or buts.

The Z06 will undoubtedly be easier to live with and also will able to be driven harder easier. It will most likely outperform the snake in every category - until an ACR is released at least.

I think it is win win no matter which you choose.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:10 AM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

Location: Hailing From The Mean Streets Of Irvine, California
Received 4,153 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Obviously, in a "perfect world" where money was no option I would get both. There is no question that the Viper is a SEXY BEAST .
Not to mention, the exclusivity of it is quite impressive!

However, after owning the base C6 and C6 Z06 Corvettes, I gotta go with the C7 Z06
Yes, it's true everyone and their Grandma will own one, but for the price this brand new Z06 will put other SuperCars to shame.

Just my thoughts...

Many Thanks,
Corvette_Nut

Last edited by Corvette_Nut; 02-08-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:51 AM
Ontario Orange
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 72MiuraSV
...That’s not us. We are really an exotic, we’ve always wanted to be—that’s all we ever wanted to be. I struggle with the comparisons." If you want a Viper, you want a driving machine period.
I've owned six new exotic cars. My friends and myself, never considered the Viper "an exotic".
Sales are poor, so I guess this is some Gilles hype.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:04 AM
72MiuraSV
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ontario Orange
I've owned six new exotic cars. My friends and myself, never considered the Viper "an exotic".
Sales are poor, so I guess this is some Gilles hype.
I believe he is referring to the exclusivity of the current gen Viper. They are truly hand built where as the Corvette...is not
Old 02-08-2014, 11:55 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,739 Likes on 876 Posts

Vipers are rare, it's true but there rare for all the wrong reasons.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:04 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,739 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by 72MiuraSV
Viper. I am a huge fan of the c7, it is one of the very very few pure sports cars that is still being manufactured today. However, The Viper has and always will be the real driving machine. The Viper has NEVER gone soft since it's introduction in 92. The Corvette has almost always had that automatic tranny option and other compromises for comfort.
The Viper isn't made to please rich people that just want to have that image for the sunday cruise, yet they want comfort and they don't know how to drive around a track properly. The Viper has only been offered as one model. There has never been a "softer" viper submodel or auto trans. I honestly don't think you can compare a Viper with a Corvette, they are just in a different class. I'd rather have a driver focused car over something mainstream and compromised as far as pure sports car. Ralph Gilles: "We have no interest in competing with Corvette. Never have. You’re going to see Corvettes at every 7-11 and on every street corner. That’s not us. We are really an exotic, we’ve always wanted to be—that’s all we ever wanted to be. I struggle with the comparisons." If you want a Viper, you want a driving machine period.
Viper has never "gone soft" because it hasn't been around long enough. It did not have to suffer through the mid 70's and 80's. The vette survived and is the VERY REASON the viper was born. The "we have no interest in competing with Corvette" statement is B.S.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:23 PM
ALLANB
Pro

Originally Posted by rob62
Viper has never "gone soft" because it hasn't been around long enough. It did not have to suffer through the mid 70's and 80's. The vette survived and is the VERY REASON the viper was born. The "we have no interest in competing with Corvette" statement is B.S.
The viper is moving towards a more driveable ,streetable, refined type of car as the corvette has done.
You can get adjustable ride in the new Vipers. You can get all the nice new electronics and very nice interiors now. The new cars have the "nanny " systems to keep the car on the road.

The only thing the Viper is lacking now is an auto option ,either like the z06 has or a DCT type of transmission and SRT has publicly stated and quoted it on here that they do intend to put out an automatic in the viper would think maybe in the 2016 model. I would even settle for a hill assist feature like the corvette and Challengers have.

The z06 having the auto option is one of the main reasons plan to buy one. I sold my 2008 as it didn't have auto and had no hill assist.

I bought recently my 07 SL55 and my 07 911 turbo both because they came with autos but with of course manual shifting when desired. Best of both worlds as far as I am concerned.

If z06 did not come out with auto option probably would buy a base car and have even considered buyin a 3rd or 4th generation Viper and having it converted over to auto. I live in a hilly place that sometimes gets quite a bit of traffic. Where lived previously was very flat and pretty much only bought manual cars and traffic was also fairly light.

The older generation Vipers were rough and raw and that was part of their appeal. But Viper is moving towards the future and the future is to offer an auto option like pretty much every other high end company is doing some even to the point of only offering the auto options like Porsche 911 turbo,GT3/ new lambo,etc. I think GM is doing it the right way in the z06. Offering both full manual to please those guys and auto to please auto guys. Only makes sense from a marketing point of view. I also think Viper could offer a v8 version putting out around 500hp and try to keep the price down to 70 or 80k on that one. They have the SRT at 100k and the GTS at 120 or so . Definitely would increase sales if they had a 70 or 80k Viper . And they should also hurry up and bring out the convertible version. The cars look a lot better to me in convertible form.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:22 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts

While we're discussing Vipers. I live near a long stretch of highway and once in a while I'll happen to wake up randomly at about 5am. It seems like clockwork before I can fall asleep again, I hear the unmistakable sound of a Viper V10 screaming down the road....and this person stays in it until you can't hear it because it is too far away to hear. If that's anyone of you who happen to be reading this, I hear your *** hitting those deep triple digit speeds at 5am. That's one hell of a drive into work.

And just for sake of some silly bench racing let's see if we can peg how fast this guy is going. I'm convinced he is getting caught by a light about a quarter mile from where he flies by my home and I can hear him. I can hear it full throttle a good 15 seconds after he flies by. Any idea what speeds he is hitting? I'm guessing the kind that get you thrown in jail.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 02-08-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:53 PM
esemes
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

simply put, yes. (to answer the OP's question)

there's no wrong answer between either of these. beautiful vipers shown here. wow.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:09 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by LEE427
Sweet congrats!

I got a killer deal on mine too $95k brand spanking new..

A friend of mine rented a 2013 Viper last weekend, red with those same rims. It was godly. I cannot wait to see how the c7z drives. It's definitely a tough decision between buying these 2 cars.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:17 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I take my Zr1 over the Viper's! Even the C7 too! the 10 cly sound and the rest of the car doesn't work for me like the Corvette cars!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:29 AM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a C6Z and a Gen 4 Viper. They are both awesome, fast, super fun cars, with their own specific flavor and behavior.

When I first got my C6Z, I had a 505HP Gen III Viper. The Corvette was hands down faster than the Viper.

The Gen 4 600HP Viper is a pretty good match for the C6Z, maybe a little faster, but not much (remember the Gen 4 Viper has a 3:07 final drive ratio).

If I had to characterize the driving difference, The C6Z is a much better high speed / long trip car and the Viper better on the back road twists and turns.

As far a looks, I like them both, but the Viper is clearly the public winner drawing a crowd wherever it goes, while the Vette barely gets a second glance, after all it is only a Corvette and there are thousands of them, everywhere.

Love the Gen 5 Viper GTS but can't (won't) do the $140K price tag. I'll wait for awhile until I can grab a Viper Blue Release Edition coupe for $90 or so. Really like the C7Z, except the cheap out of the front fenders.

Last edited by GlennSullivan; 02-09-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Rollymohan
2nd Gear

I have TA #57/93 and what a huge difference to my supercharged 2001 viper.This TA is a baby to drive.I love performance and i am waiting to see the numbers on that C7 z06.They are both true american sports car however i always prefer the viper ,it is just so eye catching you cannot resist looking at it.

Quick Reply: C7Z or Gen V Viper?