C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:45 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,841 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Because replacing the ccb rotors and pads will cost half the value of the car in 4 years.
Really. I've had my ZR1 for 4 years know and have replaced the pads twice so far. The rotors are still the factory ones.

Annnnnnd I track my car.

I'd suggest folks who are on the fence regarding the CC brakes take input from folks that actually use them versus people who just think they know all about them. There's a little bit of knowledge and a lot of assumption available around here.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Medic Man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Really. I've had my ZR1 for 4 years know and have replaced the pads twice so far. The rotors are still the factory ones.

Annnnnnd I track my car.

I'd suggest folks who are on the fence regarding the CC brakes take input from folks that actually use them versus people who just think they know all about them. There's a little bit of knowledge and a lot of assumption available around here.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:55 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

Annnnnnd I track my car.

That is great, but I have a foot in the Porsche camp, too, and their Brembo CCBs seems to have not been so lucky. Many folks remove their CCBs and use iron rotors to track. To each his own, for sure, but the price of replacing those carbon brakes, speaking only for me, is scary.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:07 AM
GrantG
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
That is great, but I have a foot in the Porsche camp, too, and their Brembo CCBs seems to have not been so lucky. Many folks remove their CCBs and use iron rotors to track. To each his own, for sure, but the price of replacing those carbon brakes, speaking only for me, is scary.
The replacement cost of the ZR1/Z07 rotors is a small fraction of what Porsche charges for PCCB rotors (around $7k vs. $20k, afaik). Makes considering the carbon-ceramics on the Z much more appetizing.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:08 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
That is great, but I have a foot in the Porsche camp, too, and their Brembo CCBs seems to have not been so lucky.
  • Porsche over-charges for their pads and rotors.
  • Porsche doesn't use the same pad compound GM uses.
  • Porsche over-charges for their pads and rotors (wait, I said that already).

The two aren't comparable. Again, folks on the fence should ignore the users of other CCB setups and focus on getting input from the people who drive ZR1s and Z07-optioned C6 Z06s. The vast majority of us fricken love the GM CCB setup and wouldn't be without them.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:46 AM
GrantG
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
[LIST][*]Porsche over-charges for their pads and rotors.[*]Porsche doesn't use the same pad compound GM uses.[*]Porsche over-charges for their pads and rotors (wait, I said that already).
Porsche does charge too much for PCCB's, but Ferrari uses the identical rotors as the ZR1 on its Enzo and maybe other models and I think they charge at least double of what Porsche charges (and about 6 times more than what Chevy charges for the same part).
Old 01-20-2014, 12:02 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by GrantG
Porsche does charge too much for PCCB's, but Ferrari uses...
Yep, I'm aware. I was specifically answering the previous poster's reference to having a foot in the Porsche camp. More to your point: it doesn't seem like any of the European sport or GT cars have affordable CCB setups. They all over-charge for the components because, well, they can.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:06 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I believe GM said in their press release that the carbon-ceramic brakes were part of the Z07 package. Doesn't make sense to offer them separately, since the only other differences between the Z07 and the lessor packages are a few additional add on aero parts and the tires.
Not exactly, the Z07 option will have stiffer springs and shocks than the "base" Z06.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:19 PM
jumper5836
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
Yep, I'm aware. I was specifically answering the previous poster's reference to having a foot in the Porsche camp. More to your point: it doesn't seem like any of the European sport or GT cars have affordable CCB setups. They all over-charge for the components because, well, they can.
It's all depends on how much you track and what track it is.

So whats the price diff for ZR1 ccb vs steel. For my 996tt 18k vs 1k the differential between PCCB and steels rotors and pads is 17k USD. Which is probably more like around 20k here in Canada of which my car is only worth 40k.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:21 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
That doesn't mean that they are necessary.
same could be said of 640 hp supercharged....yet people get them

we shoud all have 300hp and drum brakes
Old 01-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Medic Man
If I was spending close to a hundred thousand for a sports car and they had an option for the CC brakes which clearly have more advantages than disadvantages, why is this not a no brainer?
Because I'll track that particular car and the cost to replace the CCB's, which wear at a rate very similar to iron rotors in an on-track environment, is over $20k. In fact, a great many owners switch their CCB's to iron rotors.

Regarding whether or not I'll get the Z07 package on my C7Z, that's yet to be determined and I'd need far more info that we have now to make that decision.
S.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:44 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Snorman
Because I'll track that particular car and the cost to replace the CCB's, which wear at a rate very similar to iron rotors in an on-track environment
They do not, in any way, wear anywhere near the rate of steel rotors. Even when tracking them. That's just patently false information. Completely and totally.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
They do not, in any way, wear anywhere near the rate of steel rotors. Even when tracking them. That's just patently false information. Completely and totally.
How much does a replacement set of rotors (front and rear) for a ZR1 and a Z06/7 cost if you don't mind me asking?
Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
I'm not talking about ZR1 rotors, I'm talking about Porsche CCB's, and yes...from everyone I have spoken to that has had them and read, they do. That, and the replacement cost, is why you see so many CCB GT3's and 911's at the track with iron rotors.
And FYI...rotors are not steel, they are iron.
S.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:50 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Lavender
How much does a replacement set of rotors (front and rear) for a ZR1 and a Z06/7 cost if you don't mind me asking?
Each rotor will cost anywhere from $1100-1300 a piece, depending on where you get them. AMZN generally has them at the best prices. (Yeah: Amazon!) Buying them directly from your local Chevy shop will cost you a bunch more, so it's not ever recommended to do so.

They're expensive, but the performance and robustness in them can't be matched by steel.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Medic Man
Racer

Because I'll track that particular car and the cost to replace the CCB's, which wear at a rate very similar to iron rotors in an on-track environment, is over $20k. In fact, a great many owners switch their CCB's to iron rotors.

Regarding whether or not I'll get the Z07 package on my C7Z, that's yet to be determined and I'd need far more info that we have now to make that decision.
S.

I'm willing to bet that less than 5% of the Z06 owners track there cars on a regular basis. So I think you're in the minority.. I may be wrong but i doubt it.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:53 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

I'm not talking about ZR1 rotors, I'm talking about Porsche CCB'
You car-switched mid-way through the conversation then. You and Medic Man were debating the CCBs available on the GM car, not the Porsche car.

Quite frankly: I don't give a rat's *** what Porsche owners (or Ferrari owners, or McLaren owners, or GT-R owners, or...) do with their brakes.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Old 01-20-2014, 12:55 PM
Medic Man
Racer

Originally Posted by jvp
You car-switched mid-way through the conversation then. You and Medic Man were debating the CCBs available on the GM car, not the Porsche car.

Quite frankly: I don't give a rat's *** what Porsche owners (or Ferrari owners, or McLaren owners, or GT-R owners, or...) do with their brakes.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:01 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The replacement cost of the ZR1/Z07 rotors is a small fraction of what Porsche charges for PCCB rotors (around $7k vs. $20k, afaik). Makes considering the carbon-ceramics on the Z much more appetizing.
So 7K is appetizing? 20K is stooopid, 7K is just kinda stoopid....I am looking at more like $1,200.00 for 4 iron rotors, $800 for f/r pads, and that will get you solid stuff to use as track consumables.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 01-20-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp

"Debating"? He responded to a comment I made nearly a week ago. And I didn't switch anything, my original comment was this...
...didn't option them on another car I recently ordered (and on which they are available for ~$9k), but I'll really be on the fence with the Z06.
...to which Medic Man replied.

And similar to the info I have gathered regarding iron vs. CCB rotors for my Porsche order, I will do the same thing regarding whether or not I'll want the Z07 package (CCB's) on my C7Z. If they wear at the same rate on a Porsche, I'd need to be convinced they won't on a Corvette (and not by some anonymous person on the internet, but by people I speak to who actually track their cars heavily).
S.

Quick Reply: Carbon Ceramic Brakes