C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Is the new Z06 what you really wanted to see?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:39 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Default Is the new Z06 what you really wanted to see?

Here is my first take on what I have seen so far today.

The pics just released from Detroit show the fully optioned C7 Z06 with the most aggressive aero package that comes with the "ultimate" Z07 track attack option, kind of like the Viper T/A. That Z07 edition also comes with CCM brakes, Pilot Sport Cup tires and a clear , adjustable height wicker bill on the back spoiler so you can see through it in your rear-view mirror, like NASCAR's rear spoliers, plus front winglets and side skirts. All that to say that I think it looks a little bit too much like a boy racer. Fast, aggressive, but not subtle looking. One mean machine for sure, but it would have been nice if they had made it lighter with a NA motor rather than a supercharger, and sleeker looking. But it does run in that 4 cylinder eco-mode, so perhaps like the new breed of small engines with turbos, it is set for grunt and efficiency.

I am going to wait and see what the base Z06 looks like before I decide how much I like it. It has mag shocks like the car I ordered, so that should help with comfort if one wants to use it as a regular road car. I think it's going to appeal to a very limited market, for those who want the special, super fast edition, like some guy I know buying a snakish brute of a Viper T/A, and are willing to pay for it. Let's just say it is the polar opposite of a Lotus. Lightness is not speed they say in Kentucky, brute force, big fenders covering thick wide super-sticky meats, and tons of downforce is speed. Slow it down with some carbon ceramic brakes, add tons of cooling ducts and inlets, and overcome the drag those all make with tons more fuel pumped in and turned into a serious dose of foot-lbs. Just like those racing Le Mans Corvettes.

At least those new C7.R race cars are going to be normally aspirated, with a 5.5 litre motor. I think the Z06 is what a top-flight tuner shop might have turned out if they had started with a base C7 Z51 like the one I ordered, and added tonnes of go-fast stuff. I think I was hoping for a more fully engineered solution, that only a factory effort could come up with, rather than a skunk-works special. That is what I like about the C7 Z51; it is a ground-up completely new design, with a ton of good engineering made into a comprehensive package, where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The Z06 is more akin to a C7 with a bunch of tacked on parts.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:45 PM
NotEnoughToys
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Frame is 60% stiffer then the old Z06 however they did not say how much stiffer than a base C7. Looks to be about the same type of upgrades a C6 VS C6 Z06 had.

Last edited by NotEnoughToys; 01-13-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by ClevelandPlasma
The Z06 has a all carbon fiber frame, 60% stiffer then the old Z06 however they did not say how much stiffer than a base C7. Looks to be about the same type of upgrades a C6 VS C6 Z06 had.
Aluminum

If its under six figures - GM has a winner ... regardless what the tail lights look like.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:50 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Z06 has a all carbon fiber frame, 60% stiffer then the old Z06 however they did not say how much stiffer than a base C7. Looks to be about the same type of upgrades a C6 VS C6 Z06 had.
No, the $400,000 Lamborghini Aventador has an all carbon fiber frame. The Z06 has an aluminum frame.

Originally Posted by descartesfool
One mean machine for sure, but it would have been nice if they had made it [slower] and [less scary]
They make that car already, it is the base Corvette...
Old 01-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by descartesfool
Here is my first take on what I have seen so far today.

The pics just released from Detroit show the fully optioned C7 Z06 with the most aggressive aero package that comes with the "ultimate" Z07 track attack option, kind of like the Viper T/A. That Z07 edition also comes with CCM brakes, Pilot Sport Cup tires and a clear , adjustable height wicker bill on the back spoiler so you can see through it in your rear-view mirror, like NASCAR's rear spoliers, plus front winglets and side skirts. All that to say that I think it looks a little bit too much like a boy racer. Fast, aggressive, but not subtle looking. One mean machine for sure, but it would have been nice if they had made it lighter with a NA motor rather than a supercharger, and sleeker looking. But it does run in that 4 cylinder eco-mode, so perhaps like the new breed of small engines with turbos, it is set for grunt and efficiency.

I am going to wait and see what the base Z06 looks like before I decide how much I like it. It has mag shocks like the car I ordered, so that should help with comfort if one wants to use it as a regular road car. I think it's going to appeal to a very limited market, for those who want the special, super fast edition, like some guy I know buying a snakish brute of a Viper T/A, and are willing to pay for it. Let's just say it is the polar opposite of a Lotus. Lightness is not speed they say in Kentucky, brute force, big fenders covering thick wide super-sticky meats, and tons of downforce is speed. Slow it down with some carbon ceramic brakes, add tons of cooling ducts and inlets, and overcome the drag those all make with tons more fuel pumped in and turned into a serious dose of foot-lbs. Just like those racing Le Mans Corvettes.

At least those new C7.R race cars are going to be normally aspirated, with a 5.5 litre motor. I think the Z06 is what a top-flight tuner shop might have turned out if they had started with a base C7 Z51 like the one I ordered, and added tonnes of go-fast stuff. I think I was hoping for a more fully engineered solution, that only a factory effort could come up with, rather than a skunk-works special. That is what I like about the C7 Z51; it is a ground-up completely new design, with a ton of good engineering made into a comprehensive package, where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The Z06 is more akin to a C7 with a bunch of tacked on parts.
I wished for a supercharger and got one...and then some!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:54 PM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

gets my vote
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The ZO6 is better than what I anticipated. FAR better. It's really amazing that people find **** to complain about. I don't remember this many women being on the board when I was more active here.

-Alex
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4
Aluminum

If its under six figures - GM has a winner ... regardless what the tail lights look like.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

wow, clueless
Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
No, the $400,000 Lamborghini Aventador has an all carbon fiber frame. The Z06 has an aluminum frame.

They make that car already, it is the base Corvette...
mp4-12c also.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:03 PM
NotEnoughToys
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Frame is 60% stiffer then the old Z06 however they did not say how much stiffer than a base C7. Looks to be about the same type of upgrades a C6 VS C6 Z06 had.
Busy day, guess I should not be doing 5 things at once, mis read this article........

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first...e-stingray-z06
Old 01-13-2014, 06:11 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Very pleased and will be a buyer and I hated the C7 rear when it was revealed a year ago. Few other things I didn't care for but being a wide body was a must have. The auto trans is icing on the cake. I love my GS with the auto but always wished it had Z06 power. The splitter below the fangs is a huge improvement in the looks area as well.

Cant wait!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:14 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

My idea of the Z06 is a comfortable car that is a beast on the track. Voila - C7Z06/Z07 option. Plenty of power, great brakes, 8 speed paddle shift that is .08 seconds quicker than the 911 DCT, runs on pump fuel, gets great mileage and has a fantastic aero package to go. No need to spend money on upgrades after purchase. Oh, it is at a price point to beat all others, too. Although there will be many that complain about it on one point or the other, as there are always, I wonder how many complaints will come from those that actually have track experience?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sam isn't a C7 hater/troller anymore!? Progress...

-Alex
Old 01-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,473 Likes on 793 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Three things I'm pleased about and one I'm disappointed in.

Pleased:

1. Supercharged
2. Auto trans. I messed up my knee this year and that's why the 427 is for sale.
3. Targa top if they only make it in a coupe. If they introduce a convertible there will be four things I'm pleased with.

Disappointed:

1. The front fender flares. They look like a tacky add on. I understand to keep costs down it was beneficial to use the base car's fenders (at least that's how it appears). If those aren't the base car's fenders, then they should have made them wider like the C6 Z06/GS/427.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Z06 RB
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what I know so far, I think that they did a very good job and least I am impressed. They made it where different people can get what they want, manual trans for me and auto for others. My wife will like the idea of the removal top as it's the one thing that she misses on my C6Z.

Now do I want to trade mine, maybe not.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

I think the engineering and power are incredible. No doubt this is a hugely significant car in Corvette history - another world beater - world thrasher will probably be more accurate - but - I think it does look too boy racer - there are too many tacked on parts IMO. I really hate the plastic over the front wheels and wish they had done a unique front bumper for the Z06 instead of this treatment. In black it will all look much better i'm sure. Also wish they had cleaned up the rear bumper more - still too busy - but the width helps it a lot.

An amazing car overall - a truly worth successor to the Z06 nameplate for sure. On the fence if I will get one. When I see it in person will galvanize my purchase decision.

Performance/Power - 10
Design - 7.5

Last edited by Hirohawa; 01-13-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the new Z06 what you really wanted to see?

Old 01-13-2014, 06:20 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's around $90-95k fully loaded, sure.

More than $100k and I'm sure a lot of us will be at a Porsche dealer instead.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:22 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

It has won me over. I just hope the pricing stays civil. The only things I really dislike right now are what is not known (price, weight, final specs).
Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by tail_lights
It has won me over. I just hope the pricing stays civil. The only things I really dislike right now are what is not known (price, weight, final specs).
I thought the word is under $100K fully loaded Z07 package. SO probably looking at a $75K starting area.

Quick Reply: Is the new Z06 what you really wanted to see?