C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Here Comes the Hate: Why an Automatic Z06 is a Good Thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:27 AM
tws
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cummins6900
Hello My name is George and I am new to this forum and interest in a Corvette. I have friends and relatives with vettes as well as a cousin with a bad *** kicking C6-Zo6. Well for me I would love to drive a stick BUT I had lost my right leg in a very bad accident and saddly can't any more. I personally am thrilled that Gm is putting Auto with paddle shifts in ALL the new vettes, now maybe I can buy one. to where I could not before, Gm is wanting to bring sales up, Well then give people what they want. I also feel if you are paying $70,000 on up on a car, you should be able to order ANY of the past or present colors.As well as a hardtop or a convert. I would love to buy a C7, Zo6/Zo7 convert. in Daytona Orange.
I agree! I would buy a c7 z06 convertible pewter with black top or machine silver with black top!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:22 AM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MrAngry
Hi guys -

My name is Mike Musto and I'm the host and producer of a show called /BIG MUSCLE on Youtube's drive Network. I recently wrote a post for CorvetteForum about the new Z07 and why I think many potential buyers will love the fact that GM is now offering a decent paddle shifted automatic. Yes, I know that a torque converter is still in the mix, however I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on this.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...06-good-thing/

Cheers and thanks - Mike
First I want to say that so far, I am extremely impressed with both the C7 Stingray, and now this Z06 looks simply fantastic; I am very glad I delayed my stingray purchase long enough to see what the Z06 had in store, and GM certainly has delivered, and delivered in a BIG way.

That said.. while I agree that an automated paddle shifted transmission is a good thing, and what I want, the fact that it is still a traditional automatic with a torque converter is really less than ideal...and I certainly have some concerns that need to be cleared up before I will choose which transmission to order, or maybe if to order the car.

GM may say that it "upshifts faster than pdk at WOT" What does that mean? how was that timed? From time the paddle is depressed? Honestly.. I doubt it. Most likely GM is timing it from the time the mechanical gear change starts until it completes, Not from the time the paddle is depressed. Even in the XF, which arguably has the best performance automatic on the market today, there is a noticeable delays and can get pretty lazy on the downshifts compared to a good DCT or semi-automatic manual.

In my opinion that is really the biggest factor, and is what will determine how good, or how bad this transmission is. How it drives. If it is better than the ZF, quick and responsive giving instant up and down shifts in all situations on demand like a good DCT; I am in. If it does not, well.. that makes it tough.. I would like the performance benefits of a paddle shifted car, but I would have go for the manual. A lazy automatic, even one as good as the ZF would make me absolutely insane. Or I could wait for a better transmission option, or purchase something different.

There are some smaller concerns.. Such as the parasitic losses compared to a true manual. DCT's and especially semi-automatic manuals don't really produce any additional parasitic losses over their manual counterparts; A claim which this automatic is not likely to share due to the dumbell torque converter... so we will have to wait for someone to do a back to back dyno and performance testing to compare the two.

Finally the question of heat generation and cooling capacity during long track sessions will be a concern, though honestly a small one. It appears a great deal of thought and engineering has gone into cooling, and I suspect that GM has this pretty well covered.

Given all of the patents GM has filed for their in development DCT's, I am personally of the opinion that the only reason there is a torque converter in the Z06 (and possibly even the Stingray) is same reason the 2014 stingray has the carry over C6 Auto: Because the DCT is simply not ready yet. We know it is in development, we just don't know when they will be done with it... MY2016?19?18? Who knows...

I think in a few years when the DCT is complete and GM starts stuffing them in Corvettes they will be sure to hold a flashy release, point out how great it is compared to this 8 spd auto; and drop short unspecific marketing claims like "It up-shifts faster than a PDK at WOT". They will tell us all of the advantages it carries and sell it to us... Just like they are doing with this soon-to-be-shared with the Silverado automatic. It is a sales pitch. I will take the spin with a grain (or a small rock) of salt until at least some real details are released, it can be independently tested and I can drive one, until then I remain skeptical, yet open minded.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:20 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadfly
There are some smaller concerns.. Such as the parasitic losses compared to a true manual. DCT's and especially semi-automatic manuals don't really produce any additional parasitic losses over their manual counterparts; A claim which this automatic is not likely to share due to the dumbell torque converter... so we will have to wait for someone to do a back to back dyno and performance testing to compare the two.

...until then I remain skeptical, yet open minded.
How do you think DCTs or automated manuals shift??? Magical pixie dust? It takes energy provided by the engine to make those shifts. In spite of your inability to think of how they accomplish their shifts, there are additional parasitic losses over their manual counterparts. A DCT has multi-plate wet clutches hydraulically applied/released just like an automatic therefore it has a hydraulic pump just like an automatic.

Once again, this is a modern day automatic with many electronic controls and that applies to the pump too. The 8L90 has a vane pump with volume and pressure controls. When the computer senses low demand for fluid, the cam ring for the pump is shifted by a small piston which reduces the volume. When the computer senses a low demand for pressure, there is a computer controlled solenoid valve which reduces the pressure. In the world of hydraulics, the HP required to drive a pump is given by the general equation HP=PSI*GPM*.0007...reduce PSI and GPM and you reduce the parasitic losses. Once again, this is not an automatic from the '60s, this is a very modern computer controlled transmission...welcome to the 21st Century. The parasitic losses will be very close to a DCT if not better.

In spite of your claim otherwise, you are still very close minded. I will say I see the door creaking open...open it all the way, get some very technical books, and read about modern day automatics.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:56 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Not concerned about peoples. Hate .....when the new A8 outperforms the manual transmission on the road course it's all over.

I've been driving manual cars for over 30 years....my present corvette is a manual. I love driving it.....but push comes to shove if the A8 version of the z06 Is just as fast as the manual on the road course it's all over.

Mr Ruess said the automatic A8 version was a no compromise alternative to the manual transmission version...then that's where I'll be heading for my next corvette...

The lift off roof also helps seal the deal.

Gm is smart giving the customer what he or she wants and still offering ultimate performance...

The manual transmission I am sure is awesome with rev match and if the automatic A8 doesn't live up to the hype...the m7 version will be in my garage instead
Old 01-14-2014, 06:56 AM
vettesweetnos
Drifting

Received 1,267 Likes on 578 Posts

All the arguing and bickering about manual vs auto for no reason. It is great to have the choice because now I will be purchasing this Z. And for a reason that no one ever seems to think of. At 6'6" 260 lbs. broad shoulders and big legs and feet I can finally drive a Z06. I fit comfortably in the c6 Z but did not have the foot room to shift proper with size 16 shoes. Now I do not have to worry about that. Thank you GM.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

the auto looks like a very strong gear box and will work great with the supercharged engine. should be faster and help the driveline survive the big torque

real test will be to see if it can lap faster on the road course,and my bet is that it will be very competative with the stick and crush it at the drag strip

when you are up on the boost, why take your foot off the throttle?

while many have perfected the fine art of power shifting, it's certainly NICE to have the option for an auto.

my hope is that the "automatic operation" shifting is not too brutal. the programing on the 6spd was not "right" until the later years and then IMHO it's actually really good.

last paddle shifted car I rode in was a lightly modified Grand sport and it certainly shifted very well with the paddles. I was impressed.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:34 AM
tws
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vettesweetnos
All the arguing and bickering about manual vs auto for no reason. It is great to have the choice because now I will be purchasing this Z. And for a reason that no one ever seems to think of. At 6'6" 260 lbs. broad shoulders and big legs and feet I can finally drive a Z06. I fit comfortably in the c6 Z but did not have the foot room to shift proper with size 16 shoes. Now I do not have to worry about that. Thank you GM.
This is why I will probably get the auto as well. I hope there is a 1lt type as the base car. I don't need the hud memory and power seats. Data recorder and upgraded Bose stereo.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I am very happy to see the 8 spd auto going into the new Z. I think I just may be getting one in White
I know it is not a DCT, but if the shift timing is there, it is there. I tracked my A6, C6, I added a transmission cooler and I never had a problem with it overheating on a road coarse. So I don't expect the Z to have an issue with over heating either.
The guys who say it isn't a "real" sports car with an auto, are probably the same guys who still have a rotary dial phone at home.
I can drive a manual, and have owned plenty, personally I prefer paddle shifting.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:19 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
How do you think DCTs or automated manuals shift??? Magical pixie dust? It takes energy provided by the engine to make those shifts. In spite of your inability to think of how they accomplish their shifts, there are additional parasitic losses over their manual counterparts. A DCT has multi-plate wet clutches hydraulically applied/released just like an automatic therefore it has a hydraulic pump just like an automatic.

Once again, this is a modern day automatic with many electronic controls and that applies to the pump too. The 8L90 has a vane pump with volume and pressure controls. When the computer senses low demand for fluid, the cam ring for the pump is shifted by a small piston which reduces the volume. When the computer senses a low demand for pressure, there is a computer controlled solenoid valve which reduces the pressure. In the world of hydraulics, the HP required to drive a pump is given by the general equation HP=PSI*GPM*.0007...reduce PSI and GPM and you reduce the parasitic losses. Once again, this is not an automatic from the '60s, this is a very modern computer controlled transmission...welcome to the 21st Century. The parasitic losses will be very close to a DCT if not better.

In spite of your claim otherwise, you are still very close minded. I will say I see the door creaking open...open it all the way, get some very technical books, and read about modern day automatics.
That's it buster. Can you quit with the FACTS already. You're going on "Ignore".

I couldn't agree with you more. Mention "torque converter" and all these "engineers" start talking "transmission 101" from the 1960's (or earlier). I guess the fuel injection on a C7 is the same as on a "fuelie"

Jimmy
Old 01-14-2014, 08:42 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by vettesweetnos
Have you sat in a C7. To me its as tight as a C4. That's not a bad thing.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:45 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I sense this new 8L90E will be a thing of beauty...hard and fast shifts, no drop in RPMs, and no lag. I just hope its not like the paddle shifting experience in the C6, because that was rather lethargic and boring.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Dkarr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a young guy (early 30s) I think that the auto is an awesome move and one that I've been waiting on for a while. I've driven several Porsches with the PDK and WOW, they are fantastic. The best of both worlds and when it comes to track times there is no equal. I don't really care that this auto is a "traditional" one with a torque converter, I'm sure the Vette team has engineered it to compete with the worlds best or it wouldn't be in the car. Bravo Chevy for joining the 21st century with the other world leaders.

Honestly, the one thing I was a little disappointed about was the fact this car is supercharged instead of having a high revving naturally aspirated power plant (which is more synonymous with what I consider "track cars"). But hey, as long as it performs as they say then I don't really care.

I think the car is wonderful. Congrats Chevy for getting it right!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 AM
Bigsquat
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have never owned a Z because I refuse to ever purchase another car with a manual transmission. My choice. I didn't cry about it and bought what was available to me though I admit to being a little jealous of the Z car owners I would meet. Now GM has made it possible for me and I expect a lot of other like me to purchase and enjoy their halo car. The morons can call me all the names they want but I am pretty sure proving ones manliness has nothing to do with shifting a transmission. As for fun, driving fast while drinking my tea and eating a sandwhich is a lot more fun and incidentally takes a lot more skill than pushing in a pedal and moving a lever around. I'll be driving through the twisties with 625+ hp and greasy fingers. God Bless America and good Italian deli's everywhere.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:45 AM
mte.smiles
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loyalsince72

Some people are NEVER satisfied. They want a Chevrolet Ferrari, then complain because it's more expensive than a Mustang. Their mouths demand stuff their wallets (& most other Corvette buyer's) can't afford. While we don't yet know the price of the new Z06, you can bet many of those same people will be complaining that it's OVERPRICED - in spite of the fact that it can alreeady beat a ZR1 and may even beat a Porsche GT3 ond other 'supercars'. Yet, they EXPECT GM to build a dual clutch automatic with WELL BELOW 50 THOUSAND UNITS in total volume potential. At that volume, the transmission would cost $5,000 per unit - OR MORE.

It makes it tough to read the Forum when people complain without thinking. Look at all the people who bitched because the team under-estimated demand for the Z51 package. Can you imagine PUTTING YOUR JOB ON THE LINE and telling management to build 75% Z51s. I might have gone out on a limb and recommended 50% installation at intro - since early buyers tend to load their cars. But nobody in their right mind would go much higher, because they need to KEEP THEIR JOBS.

Don''t demand of others what you wouldn't do yourself - if you were in their shoes. I had to wait an extra four weeks because of the Z51 parts shortage. And, while I certainly didn't like it, I UNDERSTOOD.

Can you imagine the piece of crap car that would have been built if some of these loudmouths had developed it, instead of Tadge and his crew?
Well put Sir. Total agreement.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:36 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm just glad the Z06 has an Auto finally!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:50 AM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smart Move!

My 2009 ZO6 was one of my favorite all time cars. I got screwed by the valve issue and wasn't happy by the way I was treated by the dealer, so I'd decided to move on.

I'm currently driving a 2013 Carrera S with the last of the manual transmissions. I love the car. I chose the manual over the PDK simply because I enjoy rowing the gears around town.

I probably will get a new ZO6 down the road (I feel it's wise to wait at least one year after any new model is released).

Chevrolet does need to offer an automatic transmission in order to compete with its competition, both on the track and at the dealership. The newer generations of drivers tend to gravitate toward the automatic and they are, after all, the potential buyers that GM is trying to entice.

And there's no denying it, a properly working automatic is the way to go for consistent performance on the strip or the street. back in 1970, I had an LS7 Chevelle with a fully worked Fairbanks automatic and I made tons of money racing on the street. I didn't really enjoy cruising around town with the car, but I did enjoy baiting someone at a red light. LOL

They're also constantly arguing about which transmission is best over at the Porsche forum. I think it's really silly, as a person should drive whatever makes him or her happy. Period.

I also found the ZO6 forum to be the best place to talk about cars and racing. I hope to be back here soon, as I miss the camaraderie.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:00 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I for one like the fact that Chevy will be offering an automatic tranny and targa top in the Z06. I think it will open up the market for a lot of new buyers provided the price point is reasonable.

Get notified of new replies

To Here Comes the Hate: Why an Automatic Z06 is a Good Thing

Old 01-14-2014, 11:04 AM
gtrguy
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

glad have auto option (even happier they still have stick option) because choice is always better. however, a8 will not be ideal for road course. ive drive modern autos like jag and they still lag on the downshifts. ok for drag strip though. should have been a dct, but gm cheaped out on this one
Old 01-14-2014, 11:14 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I for one like the fact that Chevy will be offering an automatic tranny and targa top in the Z06. I think it will open up the market for a lot of new buyers provided the price point is reasonable.
Choice is GOOD.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Blancpain
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrAngry
Hi guys -

My name is Mike Musto and I'm the host and producer of a show called /BIG MUSCLE on Youtube's drive Network. I recently wrote a post for CorvetteForum about the new Z07 and why I think many potential buyers will love the fact that GM is now offering a decent paddle shifted automatic. Yes, I know that a torque converter is still in the mix, however I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on this.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...06-good-thing/

Cheers and thanks - Mike
Great writeup! Also...love your show! You've had some very cool cars on there...my favorite was that Badass C2!

Quick Reply: Here Comes the Hate: Why an Automatic Z06 is a Good Thing