C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7R Engine Builder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:55 PM
brewersprts
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default C7R Engine Builder?

So who is the c7r engine builder?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:33 AM
brewersprts
Pro

Do we still not know who is the c7r engine builder?
Old 07-13-2014, 06:51 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Not much response to this question.

I can say that up until a couple years ago C6.r engines were built by Katech.

Then it was announced that race engine building was being brought in-house and they would be built by GM Powertrain.

Haven't seen anything indicating how that worked out or if it is still the case.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:53 AM
STARRPWR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pratt & Miller
Old 07-14-2014, 09:10 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

The LS5.5R is built at the GM Performance Build Center and has been since its introduction in 2010.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2010/...tter-Corvette/

From the link:
"As Corvette Racing gears up for the start of the 2010 American Le Mans Series, the team is releasing additional details regarding the changes needed for competing in the now unified GT class. The most notable change for the GT Corvettes is the new LS5.5R V8 engine. Built alongside its LS9, LS7 and LS3 dry-sump brethrens at the Performance Build Center in Wixom, this new LS7 based engine is slimmed down to 5.5 liters and delivers 485 horsepower at 5800 rpms."

Pratt & Miller built the race cars, not the engines. Prior to the 2010 race season, Katech built the engines.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:43 PM
yenkovette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM Performance Center in house. About to be moved to Bowling Green I believe....
Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 PM
4vettezo6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STARRPWR
Pratt & Miller
Old 07-15-2014, 09:33 AM
bearmans
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by yenkovette
GM Performance Center in house. About to be moved to Bowling Green I believe....
We (The Performance Build Center) did move last Nov. to Bowling Green but the racing side of GM is moving to Pontiac, Mi. to a new facility being built at the GM Powertrain HQ. They were housed in the same building in Wixom, Mi. but they had a seperate build area from us. Hope this clears it up.

Barry
Lead build team
PBC, Bowling Green, Ky.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:17 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by bearmans
We (The Performance Build Center) did move last Nov. to Bowling Green but the racing side of GM is moving to Pontiac, Mi. to a new facility being built at the GM Powertrain HQ. They were housed in the same building in Wixom, Mi. but they had a seperate build area from us. Hope this clears it up.

Barry
Lead build team
PBC, Bowling Green, Ky.
Barry,

Good to have the facts on board.

This may eliminate many of the posts on this forum. LOL
Old 07-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barry
Lead build team
PBC, Bowling Green, Ky.
Awesome info!!! Thanks sir.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:57 PM
rrm
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Barry
Lead build team
PBC, Bowling Green, Ky.
You must read this forum so you know the close to suicidal edge many members are close to going over concerning pricing. PLEASE erg whomever is in charge to release the pricing and put an end to the misery!...thank you...rrm
Old 07-15-2014, 02:10 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rrm
You must read this forum so you know the close to suicidal edge many members are close to going over concerning pricing. PLEASE erg whomever is in charge to release the pricing and put an end to the misery!...thank you...rrm
yeah he'll get right on that. misery? first world problem, of the financially fortunate no less. let's put this in perspective. once we get that info there will be the next step to be miserable about, it never ends. been there, done that.. a watched kettle never boils etc. etc. just find something else to do and the time will fly by.. at least that is what i keep telling myself.

Last edited by TripleBlack99; 07-15-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:17 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Considering guys who actually build Corvette engines read our forum, I would hope we members would be civil in our discourse rather than bemoaning the people who build our cars. Constructive criticism is fine, but bashing is not. I think we as a group complain too much about nits rather than praise our cars' many incredible qualities. I have taken the plant tour several times and was always impressed with the people I met there....
Old 07-15-2014, 04:30 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Considering guys who actually build Corvette engines read our forum, I would hope we members would be civil in our discourse rather than bemoaning the people who build our cars. Constructive criticism is fine, but bashing is not. I think we as a group complain too much about nits rather than praise our cars' many incredible qualities. I have taken the plant tour several times and was always impressed with the people I met there....

Well said!
Old 07-15-2014, 04:58 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Chevrolet builds its' own race engines in house? I didn't know that. That's very impressive, if true. Maybe they should offer specially assembled production engines built by the same people.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:14 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by stevebz06
Chevrolet builds its' own race engines in house? I didn't know that. That's very impressive, if true. Maybe they should offer specially assembled production engines built by the same people.
Given above post #8, does anyone know how to respond to this?
Old 07-15-2014, 06:16 PM
bearmans
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Hey Quick,
Right now, we are building the LS7 for the Z28 Camaros but we start up on the LT4's soon for the 2015 Z06's.
if you take the tour again, you'll go right past the PBC! Can't miss it. White walls, lots of glass & a bunch of happy engine builders inside! We always wave at the tour groups. Look for the old guy with the gray beard & the Harley shirt! That be me! I'll be sure to wave back!

Barry

Get notified of new replies

To C7R Engine Builder?

Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2092
Given above post #8, does anyone know how to respond to this?
You would respond by saying, "Yes, this is a good idea to have race spec, zero balanced, blue-printed engines available as an extra cost option." What else could you possibly say?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 AM
brewersprts
Pro

Why the switch from Katech to in house?

Money? Pride? Problems with the engines?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:51 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

You would respond by saying, "Yes, this is a good idea to have race spec, zero balanced, blue-printed engines available as an extra cost option." What else could you possibly say?
The words I have bolded where you're questioning the "truth" is what he's talking about. The link I provided and an engine builder from GM have already established the "truth".

People can be strange...after my post with the link, a poster agreed with a previous poster that Pratt and Miller build the engine. I guess some people just doubt the truth even in the face of irrefutable evidence...I have a friend who refuses to believe we went to the moon.

Everybody has their insanity, I enjoy mine and wish the same for everybody else.

Quick Reply: C7R Engine Builder?