C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

slushbox supercar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:37 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
Auto or DCT, I don't care. As long as it comes with a true manual, I'm good to go. Self-shifting trannies may be faster, but they are for sissies.
I guess all of the F1 drivers are sissies

Didn't GM also deliver a blue C7 to a well known Nascar driver recently who also opted for an auto? Sissy.

The misplaced testosterone and chest thumping is highly entertaining
Old 01-12-2014, 03:23 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Snorman
Dig in, because there is going to be a long year if they start building later in 2014.
We're going to be hearing how GM cheaped out and should have offered a DCT.
We're going to be told that they should have revised the rear fascia to appease the "majority" of people who don't like the rear of the C7 (this includes that it should have had round taillights).
We're going to hear that they screwed up by not offering a bigger cube NA engine.
It's going to be bench raced to death against the C6 Z06 and ZR1, very likely with many owners of the latter telling us that it's not going to be as fast and GM is lying about its performance numbers.

Basically, the entire C7-Detractors Playbook will be brought out in full force.
S.
Yup ! And with any luck, their trollish behavior will get them locked out. Just as with the round tail light threads ...........
Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Dig in, because there is going to be a long year if they start building later in 2014.
We're going to be hearing how GM cheaped out and should have offered a DCT.
We're going to be told that they should have revised the rear fascia to appease the "majority" of people who don't like the rear of the C7 (this includes that it should have had round taillights).
We're going to hear that they screwed up by not offering a bigger cube NA engine.
It's going to be bench raced to death against the C6 Z06 and ZR1, very likely with many owners of the latter telling us that it's not going to be as fast and GM is lying about its performance numbers.

Basically, the entire C7-Detractors Playbook will be brought out in full force.
S.
Don't forget that it will be "beaten handily" by a bolt-on C5..

Oh wait...

Last edited by Lavender; 01-12-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 PM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
"Slushboxes" are from the '50s when they had fluid couplers. Those were replaced by torque converters in the '60s, lockup torque converters in the '70s, pulse width modulated (PWM) lockup torque converters in the '90s, and the 2000s brought us multi-disc PWM lockup torque converters capable of transmitting the maximum power of high performance engines in lockup mode. The 6L80 torque converter goes into lockup in 2nd gear and I'm sure the 8L90 will too. The PWM feature "pulses" the lockup clutch hydraulic pressure to achieve as much as 80-100 RPM "slippage" between the input/output of the torque converter at low RPM cruise to dampen engine vibrations due to low frequency power pulses from individual piston power strokes. The modern day torque converter has nothing in common with the old "slushbox" fluid coupler...welcome to the 21st century.

A DCT has two multi plate wet clutches that are hydraulically applied/released in a clutch to clutch architecture. The 8L90 has multiple multi plate wet clutches that are hydraulically applied/released in a clutch to clutch architecture. The same exact thing just different. There is no reason the 8L90 can't shift as fast as a DCT...they both use multi plate wet clutches and a hydraulic pump in conjunction with proportional "solenoid" valves that control the speed of the clutch engagement/shift.

I like the term "torque converter MCT" for the 8L90...it has more than two clutches so DCT wouldn't be proper. Plus, more is better.

Any standing start contest will be won handily by the 8L90 with the torque converter multiplying torque and letting the engine get up on top of its HP curve faster. They weigh about the same and efficiency will be about the same but the 8L90 will be smaller. The 8L90 will kick any DCT to the curb when it comes to drivability and you don't have to worry about the computer second guessing what you want to do. You also don't have to worry about being in the wrong gear all of a sudden since the DCT can only pre-select one gear...all gears are engaged all of the time in the 8L90.

I think if people took the time to understand 21st century automatics, we wouldn't have so many naysayers. Hopefully there will be plenty of info at the reveal but it's the proverbial "you can lead a horse to water" all over again...you can't drown them because they breathe through their butt.
Uh.....I think the OP just got schooled! I noticed the OP has not responded since....can't really blame him/her.

BTW, Great post glass slipper!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:40 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
I'm going to change the tone of this statement.
Manual shifting trannies are for sissies who are afraid to go faster.

I think I like it this way better.
Manuals are for the sissies who want to drive the car faster, not have the car drive them faster.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:47 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Some race to have fun some race to win...all that matters is who crosses the finish line first.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:12 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Hardly anyone will be racing this car. And at an amateur level you can most certainly win with a manual.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:19 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by gthal
I guess all of the F1 drivers are sissies

Didn't GM also deliver a blue C7 to a well known Nascar driver recently who also opted for an auto? Sissy.

The misplaced testosterone and chest thumping is highly entertaining
It's probably not testosterone. Much of the bitching, I suspect, is from the older members who couldn't drive a Z06 unless it were to be equipped with Depends and who get their daily dose of "T" through their armpits.

Manual transmissions may be more fun, if that's your thing, but if performance is what matters, particularly serious racing, manuals won't be the transmission of choice, nor have they been for quite some time.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:27 PM
yellow09
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Its a supercar because of the performance it delivers. Not because of who made it.

I believe the company who makes it has a lot to do with whether it's a super car or not.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:31 PM
C6Sixspeed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Slushboxes" are from the '50s when they had fluid couplers. Those were replaced by torque converters in the '60s, lockup torque converters in the '70s, pulse width modulated (PWM) lockup torque converters in the '90s, and the 2000s brought us multi-disc PWM lockup torque converters capable of transmitting the maximum power of high performance engines in lockup mode. The 6L80 torque converter goes into lockup in 2nd gear and I'm sure the 8L90 will too. The PWM feature "pulses" the lockup clutch hydraulic pressure to achieve as much as 80-100 RPM "slippage" between the input/output of the torque converter at low RPM cruise to dampen engine vibrations due to low frequency power pulses from individual piston power strokes. The modern day torque converter has nothing in common with the old "slushbox" fluid coupler...welcome to the 21st century.

A DCT has two multi plate wet clutches that are hydraulically applied/released in a clutch to clutch architecture. The 8L90 has multiple multi plate wet clutches that are hydraulically applied/released in a clutch to clutch architecture. The same exact thing just different. There is no reason the 8L90 can't shift as fast as a DCT...they both use multi plate wet clutches and a hydraulic pump in conjunction with proportional "solenoid" valves that control the speed of the clutch engagement/shift.

I like the term "torque converter MCT" for the 8L90...it has more than two clutches so DCT wouldn't be proper. Plus, more is better.

Any standing start contest will be won handily by the 8L90 with the torque converter multiplying torque and letting the engine get up on top of its HP curve faster. They weigh about the same and efficiency will be about the same but the 8L90 will be smaller. The 8L90 will kick any DCT to the curb when it comes to drivability and you don't have to worry about the computer second guessing what you want to do. You also don't have to worry about being in the wrong gear all of a sudden since the DCT can only pre-select one gear...all gears are engaged all of the time in the 8L90.

I think if people took the time to understand 21st century automatics, we wouldn't have so many naysayers. Hopefully there will be plenty of info at the reveal but it's the proverbial "you can lead a horse to water" all over again...you can't drown them because they breathe through their butt.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,911 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Try a DCT in heavy traffic, and see how that clutch holds up for you. Also not many will be willing to pay the thousands ($10K?) more for a special Corvette only DCT.

All transmissions have their advantages and disadvantages. Don't like the automatic? Get the manual. At least, GM still offers one, unlike the other supercars.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 01-12-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:41 PM
evo8power
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Manuals are for the sissies who want to drive the car faster, not have the car drive them faster.
i would never buy this car if there wasnt a manual shifter, i would think a LOT of people who enjoy the connection of driving a car with a stick feels the same way. And i have driven a GTR and as i did love the car, the paddle shifters gave me very little enjoyment. But the car itself looks insane!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:47 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Who knows the Auto may perform as well or better than a DCT but even for marketing & perception purposes GM should have put a DCT in this car.

I can see how some (maybe ignorant) will start talking sh*t about GM always being behind the world and blah blah. Talking all their sh*t and bringing down the entire car while totally ignoring all the rest of the cars positives. If GM didn't have a DCT ready then they could have outsourced one for a year or two.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Who knows the Auto may perform as well or better than a DCT but even for marketing & perception purposes GM should have put a DCT in this car.

I can see how some (maybe ignorant) will start talking sh*t about GM always being behind the world and blah blah. Talking all their sh*t and bringing down the entire car while totally ignoring all the rest of the cars positives. If GM didn't have a DCT ready then they could have outsourced one for a year or two.

. . . and GM should offer an expensive DOHC engine for those who want it, and to appear super-technical - - - oh, they already did that? In 1990? Wow!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:54 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
. . . and GM should offer an expensive DOHC engine for those who want it, and to appear super-technical - - - oh, they already did that? In 1990? Wow!
GM of today is much different than GM of the 90's.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:03 PM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
GM of today is much different than GM of the 90's.
Sure is. Now they have a woman running the show. Can a Mary Kay Corvette be far behind?
Old 01-12-2014, 08:09 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

I thought GM got a patent last year for a DCT, and it was posted picture and all?

Get notified of new replies

To slushbox supercar?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:56 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

This post should be mandatory reading in all C7 forums
Old 01-12-2014, 10:02 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for this post…awesomeness
Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 PM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your insights.

Quick Reply: slushbox supercar?