C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

The C7 Z06 revealed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:26 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, the cash register will rule when it comes to transmissions in the Vett, not the auto writter's reviews nor comments on the web. Whatever makes the cash register ring will be the determining factor. As an example, some time ago, Porsche tried to eliminate the 911 by introducing the 928 line of vehicles. The buyers, espically California buyers who at that time ruled the Porsche market, said no with their pocket books. They kept buying the 911 types and not the 928s. On the other side of the coin, the SUVs by Porsche were accepted as well as the sedans and are still in production and contribute very nicely to the Porsche profit.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:23 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Imo the 8 speed auto will pave the way for a future DCT. The future DCT will be used to sell the refresh, or an upgraded model similar to a zr1 or even may not surface until the c8.

Z06 is overkill as it is. It won't be criticized for lack of DCT or performance at all. GM can keep that Ace in the hole.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:37 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Imo the 8 speed auto will pave the way for a future DCT. The future DCT will be used to sell the refresh, or an upgraded model similar to a zr1 or even may not surface until the c8.

Z06 is overkill as it is. It won't be criticized for lack of DCT or performance at all. GM can keep that Ace in the hole.
And I'll wager right now that they sell more Z06's with the auto than the manual.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:48 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
And I'll wager right now that they sell more Z06's with the auto than the manual.
I agree with that as well.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:02 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Yup, and one of them will be mine.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:02 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Z06 is overkill as it is. .....
Although the current Z06 is a great performer, more HP and torque is always welcome and usable on the track. I just hope the wheel bearings, driveline and brake system are up to the task.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:09 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Although the current Z06 is a great performer, more HP and torque is always welcome and usable on the track. I just hope the wheel bearings, driveline and brake system are up to the task.
Agree, the Corvette could use some being up in that area.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

I don't think so... I think the newest generation of converter-based autos will overtake DCT technology.

Originally Posted by glass slipper
"Slushboxes" are from the '50s when they had fluid couplers. Those were replaced by torque converters in the '60s, lockup torque converters in the '70s, pulse width modulated (PWM) lockup torque converters in the '90s, and the 2000s brought us multi-disc PWM lockup torque converters capable of transmitting the maximum power of high performance engines in lockup mode. The 6L80 torque converter goes into lockup in 2nd gear and I'm sure the 8L90 will too. The PWM feature "pulses" the lockup clutch hydraulic pressure to achieve as much as 80-100 RPM "slippage" between the input/output of the torque converter at low RPM cruise to dampen engine vibrations due to low frequency power pulses from individual piston power strokes. The modern day torque converter has nothing in common with the old "slushbox" fluid coupler...welcome to the 21st century.

A DCT has two multi plate wet clutches that are hydraulically applied/released in a clutch to clutch architecture. The 8L90 has multiple multi plate wet clutches that are hydraulically applied/released in a clutch to clutch architecture. The same exact thing just different. There is no reason the 8L90 can't shift as fast as a DCT...they both use multi plate wet clutches and a hydraulic pump in conjunction with proportional "solenoid" valves that control the speed of the clutch engagement/shift.

I like the term "torque converter MCT" for the 8L90...it has more than two clutches so DCT wouldn't be proper. Plus, more is better.

Any standing start contest will be won handily by the 8L90 with the torque converter multiplying torque and letting the engine get up on top of its HP curve faster. They weigh about the same and efficiency will be about the same but the 8L90 will be smaller. The 8L90 will kick any DCT to the curb when it comes to drivability and you don't have to worry about the computer second guessing what you want to do. You also don't have to worry about being in the wrong gear all of a sudden since the DCT can only pre-select one gear...all gears are engaged all of the time in the 8L90.

I think if people took the time to understand 21st century automatics, we wouldn't have so many naysayers. Hopefully there will be plenty of info at the reveal but it's the proverbial "you can lead a horse to water" all over again...you can't drown them because they breathe through their butt.
Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Agree, the Corvette could use some being up in that area.
The wheel bearings were taken care of with the development of the C6ZR1. The SKF race bearings which became standard are very robust. I haven't worn one out after 3 years with my C5 race car. Also, they designed new spindles with the ZR1 which can be retrofitted all the way back to C5s (I have them on my car).

The new "base" Brembos on the C7 are extremely solid (no more silly slide rail calipers or padletts) and the carbon brakes are on par with the best of anything out there.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 PM
Just Cruise
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it looks awesome i want it.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 PM
jason427
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stingray23
No, I didnt. I just dont like the fact that an automatic will be offered.
Why would you not like people to have more tranny options?
That sounds ridiculous....

I'm ordering one of these AS SOON AS AVAILABLE because of the auto option!
Sold my zr1 due to not caring for the manual...

Glad GM did the right thing!!!,

Last edited by jason427; 01-12-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:47 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
The wheel bearings were taken care of with the development of the C6ZR1. The SKF race bearings which became standard are very robust. I haven't worn one out after 3 years with my C5 race car. ........
Have SKF on the front for a couple of years just fine, however, I just put them on the rear a couple of track events ago and ran new R6's. Probably should have broken them in a little easier as I now have a squeaking noise in the rear while rolling. Not sure but I believe the new SKF's were a little overstressed too soon.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:22 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
I don't think so... I think the newest generation of converter-based autos will overtake DCT technology.

The wheel bearings were taken care of with the development of the C6ZR1. The SKF race bearings which became standard are very robust. I haven't worn one out after 3 years with my C5 race car. Also, they designed new spindles with the ZR1 which can be retrofitted all the way back to C5s (I have them on my car).

The new "base" Brembos on the C7 are extremely solid (no more silly slide rail calipers or padletts) and the carbon brakes are on par with the best of anything out there.
It may at some point, but that's still heresay. At this point we know GM filed a patent for a 7 speed DCT. I doubt they filed that with no intention on using it.

DCT is not only efficient at shift speeds, but power loss and fuel efficiency also improve over torque converted auto's. Auto's are not on the same level, nor do they carry the same amount of hype. Based on this evidence, I stand by my statement.

I'll be glad if the hubs are better.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:23 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Holy **** this is nice...I suspect it will start at about 90k. Too rich for me (for a car)...I'm out. Hopefully it will depreciate quickly like most other vettes so I can have one in the future
Old 01-13-2014, 07:56 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by whiplash306
Subscribing for more info….. Definitely am NOT a fan of the base C7. This however, if it is indeed the REAL DEAL, is a gorgeous ride! Very impressed!
Really...Not much visual difference between the two..so your post is pure BS to me...jmho
Old 01-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Rexmobile
Instructor

After a long hiatus, going to get in line for this one
Old 01-13-2014, 12:29 PM
nlgrav182
Heel & Toe

Autoblog has the reveal.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:19 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just keep driving the C6Z and C6 ZR1 prices down please!
Old 01-13-2014, 03:54 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 712 Likes on 369 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Holy **** this is nice...I suspect it will start at about 90k. Too rich for me (for a car)...I'm out. Hopefully it will depreciate quickly like most other vettes so I can have one in the future
Car and Driver state in their video release that a GM rep said a fully optioned Z06 will come in below 100K.

I would think this is great news considering what the Z07 package offers!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Z06 RB
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be interesting to see.

Quick Reply: The C7 Z06 revealed.