C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z06 front brake air ducts

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 05:56 PM
crazy888
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Z06 front brake air ducts

Hello,
New to group. I'm looking to purchase 2019 Z06. Mostly for weekend driving, but I do like to go to the track HPDE 3-4 weekends a year. I downloaded the manual and reading about track use. It mentions front brake cooling duct kit that should be installed before track event, then taken out after track event.... Where do you get the kit, does it really have to be installed AND taken out each track event? Also mentions J56 brakes (what are those) and wheel block for rear brakes not sure what this is.... same thing install, remove....

I tracked a Mustang Bullitt and put in high temp brake fluid and used that on the street & track, and changed it every two years..... The Corvette manual says to take out special brake fluid after one month... really, can't leave Motul in the car for two years?

Anything else I should be aware of taking a Z06 to the track?

I'm all for safety and good performance but it seems like a lot just to run on the track for a couple of hours... Thanks
Old 04-25-2024, 01:25 AM
jglassmaker
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

The J56 brakes are iron, then J57 brakes are the carbon ceramic brakes, J56 is the option code from GM.

The front brake duct isn't likely needed, unless you are going to really push it on the track. I've seen a number of ppl on this forum say they keep the duct in all the time also.. so doesn't sound like you really need to take it out. Maybe others can chime in with personal experience.

I don't think anyone sells the GM duct anymore. Some aftermarket ones are available still it seems.

Best advice for the track is normal car prep and for god sakes leave traction and stability control on, just adjust the mode as you get comfortable.

Last edited by jglassmaker; 04-25-2024 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Fixed brake code error thx @96GS#007 for correct info
Old 04-25-2024, 12:36 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,067 Posts

J56 brakes are the iron rotor brakes on the Grand Sport and Z06. J57 brakes are the carbon ceramic rotors

You can find the brake cooling kits online occasionally. I don't recall them being available from GM for quite some time.

Most of us leave them installed. They bolt to the lower front a-arm so I'll suppose that GM was worried about clearance on the street.

No fluid should be left in the car for 2 years if you plan to drive the car on track and do more than parade laps. I use Castrol SRF which is good for a year although I flush it in advance of that. The other fluids, including Motul, should be changed every 90 days. It boggles my mind the number of people that will try to save $20 and an hour or two of their time on brake fluid and then put an $80k car at risk, not to mention others on track. Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine because I saw an ******* at the track take out several cars when his brake pedal went to the floor and he plowed through them in a turn. Looking at the aftermath of the crash, the brake fluid in his master cylinder was clearly not fresh. So while legally it's speculation....I've been around long enough to know the fluid was old and he probably lied on the tech form. Brakes work until they don't.

In the pics you can see the duct pointing at the rotor and the inlet under the a-arm

The following 2 users liked this post by 96GS#007:
crazy888 (04-28-2024), jglassmaker (04-25-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 01:31 PM
crazy888
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jglassmaker
The J56 brakes are iron, then J57 brakes are the carbon ceramic brakes, J56 is the option code from GM.

The front brake duct isn't likely needed, unless you are going to really push it on the track. I've seen a number of ppl on this forum say they keep the duct in all the time also.. so doesn't sound like you really need to take it out. Maybe others can chime in with personal experience.

I don't think anyone sells the GM duct anymore. Some aftermarket ones are available still it seems.

Best advice for the track is normal car prep and for god sakes leave traction and stability control on, just adjust the mode as you get comfortable.
Thank you for your response!!
Old 04-28-2024, 01:36 PM
crazy888
3rd Gear

thanks for the response. Really I thought Motul spec said two years! I never had a brake problem with my Bullitt and left it in for two years. I'm not trying to be cheap either. Ok, so after each track session, drain Motul brake fluid and put street fluid in, until track day and change back.

Thanks for photos...
Old 04-28-2024, 01:44 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by crazy888
thanks for the response. Really I thought Motul spec said two years! I never had a brake problem with my Bullitt and left it in for two years. I'm not trying to be cheap either. Ok, so after each track session, drain Motul brake fluid and put street fluid in, until track day and change back.

Thanks for photos...
That's the shelf life of the fluid when being used on the street.

I'll also add the Z06 has waaaaay more hp and torque than your Mustang unless you had significant mods.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by crazy888
Hello,
New to group. I'm looking to purchase 2019 Z06. Mostly for weekend driving, but I do like to go to the track HPDE 3-4 weekends a year. I downloaded the manual and reading about track use. It mentions front brake cooling duct kit that should be installed before track event, then taken out after track event.... Where do you get the kit, does it really have to be installed AND taken out each track event? Also mentions J56 brakes (what are those) and wheel block for rear brakes not sure what this is.... same thing install, remove....

I tracked a Mustang Bullitt and put in high temp brake fluid and used that on the street & track, and changed it every two years..... The Corvette manual says to take out special brake fluid after one month... really, can't leave Motul in the car for two years?

Anything else I should be aware of taking a Z06 to the track?

I'm all for safety and good performance but it seems like a lot just to run on the track for a couple of hours... Thanks
DOT4 fluid absorbs moisture faster than DOT3 fluid resulting in a higher brake fluid flush frequency. The 2017+ factory brake ducts work fine, if you can find some to purchase you should get them. I installed a set on my 2015 Z06/Z07 and they helped immensely. I leave mine in all the time. You should consider adding the power steering cooling duct mentioned in GM TSB PI 1535 dated Sept, 16, 2015 to avoid power steering motor overheating.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 front brake air ducts

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 front brake air ducts