C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablo or Range.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 11:54 AM
42059jim
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Diablo or Range.

Thinking about getting a Diablo !3 Platinum. I mainly want to turn off the v4 mode., but read that i can do a little more "can" tuning with the Diablo. What over adjustments can I make with the tuner?
Old 02-26-2024, 03:26 PM
Blackwater0323
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Turn off AFM/DOD, adjust idle, turn off CAGS, adjust throttle progression, adjust rev limiter, adjust speedometer, add canned tuned, get an email tune from someone like Diablo Lew, put it back stock if you want, view log on Diablo software on your computer, a few more things it can do.
The following users liked this post:
Mike@DiabloSport (02-27-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 03:38 PM
42059jim
Heel & Toe

Thank you for the answer. I guess for a little extra I'll go with the tuner. any special model diablo? I'm looking at the I3 Platinum.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:39 PM
Blackwater0323
Racer

Originally Posted by 42059jim
Thank you for the answer. I guess for a little extra I'll go with the tuner. any special model diablo? I'm looking at the I3 Platinum.
I3 Platinum is what you want. You will probably have to contact them to unlock your ECM.
42059jim (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 09:04 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,265 Likes on 1,647 Posts

it's worth it ...

Dave
The following 2 users liked this post by Dcasole:
42059jim (02-26-2024), Mike@DiabloSport (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 12:02 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,964 Posts

Thinking about getting a Diablo !3 Platinum. I mainly want to turn off the v4 mode., but read that i can do a little more "can" tuning with the Diablo. What over adjustments can I make with the tuner?
Only way I see to really turn off the V4 mode is the Diablo. The Range is only useful if you don't want the V4 mode to engage. AFAIK, the Range keeps the car unable to enter V4 mode by not allowing the emissions testing to proceed. Do I care a whit about emissions? Not in the least. That said, I really don't want a "fooler" on my car. Every year, I have to get tested. With that dongle on, I will never be able to pass. This is why I think they tell you to remove it, drive for a while under different conditions to let the ECM do the readiness tests. After which, you pass emissions and you can reinsert it. This is ASSUMING you pass it. If not, you now have very little time, relatively speaking to get it fixed, do the readiness tests and pass. Way I see it, you might be running all year with faults that you don't know about. That and I have managed to kick the thing out while getting out of the car. Maybe it's a sign of what to do? I managed to sell it for a loss and get the Diablo.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:12 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aklim
Only way I see to really turn off the V4 mode is the Diablo. The Range is only useful if you don't want the V4 mode to engage. AFAIK, the Range keeps the car unable to enter V4 mode by not allowing the emissions testing ,Way I see it, you might be running all year with faults that you don't know about. .
While your comments about the Range causing the car to be not being emissions ready are directionally correct, your statement "by not running the emissions test" is not how the Range stops AFM from engaging .

The Range and the Diablo stop AFM exactly in the same way , they alter the parameters in the ECM that cause AFM to engage, by altering these parameters the ECM never sees the conditions that engage AFM . This action alone would set a CEL , Its how they handle the CEL is where they differ.

Diablo is actually altering the parameters in the tune when you upload the changes you requested to make on the device , because of this change there is no cel because the conditions to engage AFM are never met
Not that warranty matters much to most of the anymore but the Diablo also does not alter the CVN file in the ECM when you upload these or any other changes to the ECM which is how GM and others entities can detect if the car has been tuned.

The Range shuts off AFM by altering the parameters but it does so as a piggyback device using the communcations bus and since its not actually writing to the tune, the only way to clear the CEL is to run a "Clear CEL" command once it disengages AFM . This command is only used so the light does not come on as the ECM will still see that AFM is not engaged as the conditions to engage it have not been altered

If there was another fault with the car the light would still come on as long as the fault still exists so the Range will not hide a legitimate CEL

This is the same command that a handheld code reader or diagnostic scanner uses to clear CEL's and just like these devices , when u run this command it also resets the "Emissions Ready" status in the ECM . Now you have to do the drive cycle in order to be able to pass emissions

They both work great , its just up to the end user to decide which is best for them as , for various reasons not everybody is comfortable with "tuning" their car

Dave

Old 02-27-2024, 06:46 AM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 285 Posts

Diablo I3 is the way to go.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:41 AM
42059jim
Heel & Toe

Yes, I will be going with the Diablo. Is the any real difference between the 8245 and the 8246 other then price?. I see that the 8245 goes from 14 /16 models and the 8246 does the 17/19 models.Thanks for all the great info. I'm coming from a 2 wheel world and this is a new learning experience.I have a few videos of the car on my youtube 42059jim
CorvetteMike2024 (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 07:48 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Only way I see to really turn off the V4 mode is the Diablo. The Range is only useful if you don't want the V4 mode to engage. AFAIK, the Range keeps the car unable to enter V4 mode by not allowing the emissions testing to proceed. Do I care a whit about emissions? Not in the least. That said, I really don't want a "fooler" on my car. Every year, I have to get tested. With that dongle on, I will never be able to pass. This is why I think they tell you to remove it, drive for a while under different conditions to let the ECM do the readiness tests. After which, you pass emissions and you can reinsert it. This is ASSUMING you pass it. If not, you now have very little time, relatively speaking to get it fixed, do the readiness tests and pass. Way I see it, you might be running all year with faults that you don't know about. That and I have managed to kick the thing out while getting out of the car. Maybe it's a sign of what to do? I managed to sell it for a loss and get the Diablo.
Yes, I will be going with the Diablo. Is the any real difference between the 8245 and the 8246 other then price?. I see that the 8245 goes from 14 /16 models and the 8246 does the 17/19 models.Thanks for all the great info. I'm coming from a 2 wheel world and this is a new learning experience.I have a few videos of the car on my youtube 42059jim
The 17 to 19 model comes with the credits you need to unlock the ECM , not sure if you can unlock the TCM

The 14 to 16 model does not have the unlocking ablity but i am almsot sure you can buy the credits to do it

I would check with Diablo Lew , just Google his name and it will take you to his page where he sells devices and also custom tunes . He answers emails pretty fast

Dave
The following 2 users liked this post by Dcasole:
CorvetteMike2024 (02-27-2024), Mike@DiabloSport (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 09:00 AM
42059jim
Heel & Toe

Thank you Dave, I just emailed Lew..
Old 02-27-2024, 10:18 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

What year is your car?
if 17+, 8246 is the best place to start but either will work.
Dcasole (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:58 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
What year is your car?
if 17+, 8246 is the best place to start but either will work.
Hey Mike ! , I should have tagged you lol 😆

Dave
Old 02-27-2024, 12:14 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Not that warranty matters much to most of the anymore but the Diablo also does not alter the CVN file in the ECM when you upload these or any other changes to the ECM which is how GM and others entities can detect if the car has been tuned.

The Range shuts off AFM by altering the parameters but it does so as a piggyback device using the communcations bus and since its not actually writing to the tune, the only way to clear the CEL is to run a "Clear CEL" command once it disengages AFM . This command is only used so the light does not come on as the ECM will still see that AFM is not engaged as the conditions to engage it have not been altered

If there was another fault with the car the light would still come on as long as the fault still exists so the Range will not hide a legitimate CEL

This is the same command that a handheld code reader or diagnostic scanner uses to clear CEL's and just like these devices , when u run this command it also resets the "Emissions Ready" status in the ECM . Now you have to do the drive cycle in order to be able to pass emissions

They both work great , its just up to the end user to decide which is best for them as , for various reasons not everybody is comfortable with "tuning" their car

Dave
Very interesting. The reps wasn't 100% sure it would not leave a trace. If I understand you correctly, I can program it and remove it before I go to warranty work and it will be fine. Or did I misinterprete the statement?

So are you saying that if I developed a problem that would cause me to fail emissions it would still show up? If so why do you have to run without the dongle for a bit before the emissions testing? Kind of confusing.

Thanks for the education.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:22 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Very interesting. The reps wasn't 100% sure it would not leave a trace. If I understand you correctly, I can program it and remove it before I go to warranty work and it will be fine. Or did I misinterprete the statement?

So are you saying that if I developed a problem that would cause me to fail emissions it would still show up? If so why do you have to run without the dongle for a bit before the emissions testing? Kind of confusing.

Thanks for the education.
neither will leave a trace.

Dcasole (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 12:30 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I know that about the range unit. Wasn't sure about the Diablo. Now I am. As a plus, I won't kick the Diablo out of the car and Ias a plus, I had the tip in for the throttle adjustments done.

My concern was what data was the range unit hiding from the ECM of the car

Last edited by aklim; 02-27-2024 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:31 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Spoiler

Nope ,this is correct....

Yes you would see any other CEL , the reason why you have to remove the range is because at every start it runs the Clear CEL command which also resets the emissions ready flag to no

Dave

​​​​​​​

Get notified of new replies

To Diablo or Range.

Old 02-27-2024, 03:34 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

My concern was what data was the range unit hiding from the ECM of the car
The range will not "hide" anything other than the AFM data from the ECM

Dave
Old 02-27-2024, 03:49 PM
42059jim
Heel & Toe

Old 02-27-2024, 04:15 PM
Blackwater0323
Racer

If you take it back to stock for warranty work, you will have to drive 60-100 miles to reset everything. If not they will get a few "Not Ready" sensors. I would then them them you had a dead battery and took it out for recharging. But it ready matters as far as what kind of warranty work.

Quick Reply: Diablo or Range.