C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PID value for calculated MAT

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 06:21 PM
ir0nman11
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default PID value for calculated MAT

Does anyone know what the PID address and formula for the calculated MAT (manifold air temp) reading on these cars? The sort that can be inputted as a custom PID reading on torque app for example. Maybe someone that might have hptuners set up could probably read the properties from their preset chart PID list.

Like for example how ethanol % sensor reading is 22-0052 with formula (A/255)*100
Old 05-21-2023, 08:45 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Moved from C7 General discussion to C7 Tech/Performance.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:34 AM
d16dcoe45
Pro

Received 326 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ir0nman11
Does anyone know what the PID address and formula for the calculated MAT (manifold air temp) reading on these cars? The sort that can be inputted as a custom PID reading on torque app for example. Maybe someone that might have hptuners set up could probably read the properties from their preset chart PID list.

Like for example how ethanol % sensor reading is 22-0052 with formula (A/255)*100
Isn't there a direct IAT sensor you could log? I know in my LS3 I would log IAT directly. It was a Chevy SS sedan which was known for inaccurate readings because the thermistor (for intake temp) was built into the 5 pin MAF connector, and the MAF sat directly above the radiator which skewed the readings. I divorced it and ran an old style brass GM IAT further down the intake (I had to make a new resistance vs temp chart, but all the info was available online) --closer to the intake manifold and got more realistic numbers, it worked really well. Before I divorced the sensors, idle IATs on an 80 degree day would go up to
160 PLUS which would retard the timing and make the car soggy when pulling away.

Kyle of "Goat Rope Garage" on Youtube explains how to write out the formulas for alot of calculated PIDs, and then how to log them, check him out if you haven't. He covers Gen 3, 4 and 5 (LT) tuning.

Last edited by d16dcoe45; 05-22-2023 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:02 AM
ir0nman11
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

You can log an IAT2 sensor, yes. But on the C7 the IAT means nothing in relation to timing. Timing is based on the MAT value, which is a calculated value from an equation using the IAT sensors and ECT (i think there was another sensor but I forget which one)
Old 06-01-2023, 05:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

You can log an IAT2 sensor, yes. But on the C7 the IAT means nothing in relation to timing. Timing is based on the MAT value, which is a calculated value from an equation using the IAT sensors and ECT (i think there was another sensor but I forget which one)
The LT4 has 3 IAT Sensors. IAT1 and 2 are colocated with the MAF sensor. IAT3 is colocated with the manifold pressure sensor at the rear of the SC on the driver's side of the car and senses the air temperature of the charge air going into the engine. Its reading is called Manifold Air Temperature.

Bill
Old 06-03-2023, 12:44 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,063 Posts

It's in HP Tuners but it's a default....ie there's nothing to setup and they don't show the math to get there. Perhaps I'm not understanding your question? This is from my 2019 GS....

Old 11-30-2023, 09:33 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

Anymore info on this?

16 ZO6 in question. Trying to read boost from OBD2. (Dash logic) I have tried all the possible ways to calculate it, even their standard calculated boost. that's subtracts Baro from the manifold.

I have Verified the Car is reading the Baro correctly. Set a screen to show just the Baro reading. it changes with weather, altitude ect. For example right now its around 99kpa.

set a screen to show just the manifold pressure, and its showing it below that (In vacuum) but bring the car up to 0 reading on a mechanical boost gauge and its only reading 64ish. so that's still in vacuum, not = the cars current atmospheric pressure... It should be close to the outside Baro reading when 0 boost is reading on gauge.

SO there has to be some Math to correct the readying of this sensor or something. Dashlogic is working issue too, but they have not fixed it. If i know what the sensors is doing to come to the manifold absolute pressure, Then I can use that math, to fix the manifold pressure and then subtract the Baro and have an accurate boost reading.

Purposely stalled the car. Manifold Absolut pressure Reads 64kpa with motor off. while Baro is reading 99kpa.
around 5psi boost its reading 84 kpa. and 10 psi of boost it reads 108kpa... its not leanear.. even if I take the 64 KPA we know is atmospheric and subtract that form the manifold. it will be 0 boost reading. but at 5lbs of boost in real life it will read 84kpa-62kpa= 20 kpa which is only 2.9 psi what is the magical multiplier.

It maybe a problem with absolute manifold pressure vs absolute manifold pressure Hi res. does anyone know the difference or the math that is between the two?

Last edited by mittens; 11-30-2023 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-03-2023, 05:21 PM
Toaks
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
Anymore info on this?

16 ZO6 in question. Trying to read boost from OBD2. (Dash logic) I have tried all the possible ways to calculate it, even their standard calculated boost. that's subtracts Baro from the manifold.

I have Verified the Car is reading the Baro correctly. Set a screen to show just the Baro reading. it changes with weather, altitude ect. For example right now its around 99kpa.

set a screen to show just the manifold pressure, and its showing it below that (In vacuum) but bring the car up to 0 reading on a mechanical boost gauge and its only reading 64ish. so that's still in vacuum, not = the cars current atmospheric pressure... It should be close to the outside Baro reading when 0 boost is reading on gauge.

SO there has to be some Math to correct the readying of this sensor or something. Dashlogic is working issue too, but they have not fixed it. If i know what the sensors is doing to come to the manifold absolute pressure, Then I can use that math, to fix the manifold pressure and then subtract the Baro and have an accurate boost reading.

Purposely stalled the car. Manifold Absolut pressure Reads 64kpa with motor off. while Baro is reading 99kpa.
around 5psi boost its reading 84 kpa. and 10 psi of boost it reads 108kpa... its not leanear.. even if I take the 64 KPA we know is atmospheric and subtract that form the manifold. it will be 0 boost reading. but at 5lbs of boost in real life it will read 84kpa-62kpa= 20 kpa which is only 2.9 psi what is the magical multiplier.

It maybe a problem with absolute manifold pressure vs absolute manifold pressure Hi res. does anyone know the difference or the math that is between the two?
I was told by both Dashlogic and a few tuners that it is not possible to read MAT no matter the calculation. I returned mine after trying to figure it out and realized it wasn't possible.
Old 12-04-2023, 10:10 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

I have used dashlogic on last 3-4 vetts I have had. All reading boost, and manifold temps? This is the only one I have had this issue on. First LT4

Get notified of new replies

To PID value for calculated MAT

Quick Reply: PID value for calculated MAT