C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stabitrack check engine light and misfires

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 05:29 PM
Monterey C6
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Stabitrack check engine light and misfires

I have a 2019 Stingray with 7600 miles on it and took it out of storage today for a little ride. It began to misfire terribly and I wasn't sure if I would be able to get home. A light came on saying service stabitrack and the check engine light. From what I've read I don't see what the stable length would have to do with a misfiring engine. When I put the car away it had approximately 1/2 tank of gas and I added stabil fuel stabilizer. I was wondering if the gas was bad but I have done this for years with my cars that I put in storage and never had an issue. Has anyone else had this problem? Sadly the 3 year 36,000 Mi portion of the warranty ran out a month ago.
Old 02-26-2023, 07:27 PM
Flattman
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 261 Posts

I'd be looking at a battery if it were me. I know it's not old but based on your mileage it doesn't get driven a ton.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteMike2024 (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 08:26 PM
Monterey C6
Melting Slicks

Well I bought the car in January 20 so it's only 3 years old and I have kept a trickle charger on it anytime it is in storage. Although I would be tickled to death if that's what it took to correct the problem.
Flattman (03-01-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 05:57 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Make sure a little happy mouse didnt chew on a spark plug wire.
Old 02-28-2023, 06:09 PM
AEK
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Monterey C6
It began to misfire terribly and I wasn't sure if I would be able to get home. A light came on saying service stabitrack and the check engine light.
When this happened to me, it was due to a broken valve spring.

TL, DR: It can be due to many things, which may have nothing to do with the rear axle.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:14 PM
bigbrand0105
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a very similar problem after checking alternator, voltage regulator, battery all grounds and ECU it ended up being a bad connection at the fan!! Seems like all things electrical in these cars is tied together. I was just happy to have found the issue.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:08 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I have a 2019 Stingray with 7600 miles on it and took it out of storage today for a little ride. It began to misfire terribly and I wasn't sure if I would be able to get home. A light came on saying service stabitrack and the check engine light. From what I've read I don't see what the stable length would have to do with a misfiring engine. When I put the car away it had approximately 1/2 tank of gas and I added stabil fuel stabilizer. I was wondering if the gas was bad but I have done this for years with my cars that I put in storage and never had an issue. Has anyone else had this problem? Sadly the 3 year 36,000 Mi portion of the warranty ran out a month ago.

It is normal to get the stabilitrak light when the ECM sees a misfire...on some GM platforms you'll get the traction control light and other messages...I even see that on my Toyota 4 Runner if I shut off an injector or COP coil with my scan tool...if you don't have a scan tool you can take it to Autozone and they may be able to identify which cylinder or cylinders are misfiring with their scan tool...without some diagnostic equipment you'll only be chasing your tail and wasting a LOT of money...find yourself a DIAGNOSTIC shop and take the car there...they have the right tooling to quickly and accurately diagnose this.
Old 03-04-2023, 08:01 PM
Monterey C6
Melting Slicks

I'm taking it to a Chevy dealer on Tuesday. I'm just hoping it is something simple and maybe emissions related so it would be covered.
95BLKVette (03-05-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 08:19 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I'm taking it to a Chevy dealer on Tuesday. I'm just hoping it is something simple and maybe emissions related so it would be covered.
Dealerships are just PART CHANGERS !!…expect a big bill !!…like I said find a diagnostic shop…they diagnose cars but do as you see fit.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:29 PM
gatormark91
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crank sensor?

Crank sensor going bad will do this. Look if the RPMs show zero on the gauge, that is a sure sign. It will trigger a DTC and light the MIL when it fails, but it can be going bad and still be within ranges that won't trigger a DTC.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:44 PM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If check engine light is blinking that indicates a missfire.

Did you check for codes?

Could also be a bad AFM lifter……if you get a missfire code on AFM cylinders 1,7, 2 or 6.

This happened to me with only 38k on my Vert…..No. 6 collapsed exhaust AFM lifter with bent pushrod also.

I replaced the bent pushrod and 4 AFM lifters on passenger side, then performed an AFM delete with HP Tuners.

Last edited by 95BLKVette; 03-06-2023 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:16 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Monterey C6. Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your vehicle. To do so, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: Monterey C6/Corvette Forums in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com
Old 03-06-2023, 10:47 AM
gatormark91
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default General Motors or Major Disappointment?

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
This is certainly not what we like to hear, Monterey C6. Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your vehicle. To do so, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: Monterey C6/Corvette Forums in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com
Ah, the General chimes in so it looks like they care. (Hint - they don't, they just want to manage their image) Their "certified" techs are generally incompetent, they don't even know how to check EFI fuel information, fuel values, cat performance, sensor voltage... they can't even think outside what their CEL codes tell them. If you are under warranty, they will just throw parts at it. If you're not under warranty, better make sure your bank balance is good to support them throwing parts at it. This is the same usual canned answer they give everybody.
The following 2 users liked this post by gatormark91:
C5 Diag (03-06-2023), Oskee (03-06-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 08:26 PM
Monterey C6
Melting Slicks

Well the issue was a defective Spark plug. I'm glad it was nothing more serious however it ended up costing me $260.19 for one bad spark plug.

I appreciate Chevrolet customer service reaching out to me. I'll be exceptionally happy if they reimbursed my expenses since it had just gone out of warranty. Anyway I'm happy to have my Corvette back running like it should.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:39 PM
Flattman
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 261 Posts

That's great news!! I'm sure thoughts were it was going to be a lot worse.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:49 PM
Chazzmania
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts

Well the issue was a defective Spark plug. I'm glad it was nothing more serious however it ended up costing me $260.19 for one bad spark plug.

I appreciate Chevrolet customer service reaching out to me. I'll be exceptionally happy if they reimbursed my expenses since it had just gone out of warranty. Anyway I'm happy to have my Corvette back running like it should.
I had a crack plug and this caused the same issues along with multiple lights coming up on the dash. Any voltage issues with these C7s can cause some funky messages

Get notified of new replies

To Stabitrack check engine light and misfires

Quick Reply: Stabitrack check engine light and misfires