C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern Virginia dealer refusing to honor CPO to replace torque tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 10:42 AM
ninten5
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Northern Virginia dealer refusing to honor CPO to replace torque tube

Hello everybody,

I am being bamboozled by a dealer in my area for the TSB with the v4/v8 mode noise coming from the front. He did the triple flush 2 months ago and the noise came back. Now he won’t replace the torque tube and wants me to fork out $7300!

I have escalated the issue to Chevy corporate but anything else I should do? They’ve had my car for 3 days, charged me a diag fee. Any dealerships you guys trust in the DC metro area to take it to?

My car is a ‘16 Stingray Z51 33k miles with a CPO warranty of 6 years/100k miles.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:23 AM
JasonVette
Drifting

Received 1,211 Likes on 596 Posts

Sure it's the torque tube? A triple flush wouldn't "temporarily" stop a noise if it was really coming from the torque tube.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:43 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Are they sayings its the torque tube and want you to pay the $7300 or are you saying its the torque tube and they are quoting you $7300? If its the first then they are definitely in the wrong. If it is the second then it is what it is without a confirmed diagnosis by the dealership.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:07 PM
ninten5
Heel & Toe

The service advisor on the phone says, yup your torque tube has been damaged. Price quoted is $7296.00 Here is what it says on the invoice:

deformed propeller shaft
rubber coupler, which may move the driveline support
assemblys front input shaft bearing out of position -
RECOMMEND REPLACEMENT OF Driveline Support Assembly (DSA) TO
CORRECT CONCERN
Old 11-03-2022, 04:38 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

If you truly have a GM warranty and not some 3rd party warranty I would try harder. That absolutely should be covered. Unless of course if your car has any mods.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:05 AM
mdformula350
Drifting

Received 471 Likes on 363 Posts

Geez, so they are saying the warranty doesnt cover it at all then? $7300 seems like full price. Keep trying, assuming the car is apart then still? If they cant even get whats covered or not right, wonder if they can fix if correctly anyway.. Keep trying since the car is still there and get some clarity from higher ups to find out the issue, definitely stay on top of it and dont wait days for communication back and forth, I would inquire every day till this is resolved. seems like a lot of damage for a low miles Z51.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:48 AM
ninten5
Heel & Toe

Yup. The genuine Chevy CPO warranty. Actually the dealer told me it’s still valid when I went in the first time for the triple flush. Now two months later, he’s flipped on me. Cars been there for 4 days now, the manager doesn’t respond to my voicemails anymore. Called corporate to days ago and have a case started.

So unprofessional service, if this is not resolved, I will never buy a Chevy again (not even the C8 I was contemplating)
Old 11-04-2022, 11:03 AM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by ninten5
The service advisor on the phone says, yup your torque tube has been damaged. Price quoted is $7296.00 Here is what it says on the invoice:

deformed propeller shaft
rubber coupler, which may move the driveline support
assemblys front input shaft bearing out of position -
RECOMMEND REPLACEMENT OF Driveline Support Assembly (DSA) TO
CORRECT CONCERN
That being the case then there is no question it should be covered. I don't understand them denying it if this is a cpo car. What date and mileage does the cpo go to? It should say on your contract. That is the only other thing i could see being the issue is if it is expired. Beyond that it should be cut and dry.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:05 PM
ninten5
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ss2z06
That being the case then there is no question it should be covered. I don't understand them denying it if this is a cpo car. What date and mileage does the cpo go to? It should say on your contract. That is the only other thing i could see being the issue is if it is expired. Beyond that it should be cut and dry.
My warranty for CPO expires 11/17/22. The car has been at this dealership since 10/31/22, they are dragging their feet because they want to run out the warranty timer. Scumbags, didnt even give me a loaner.

What do you guys think, wait for corporate to work their magic or get the car back, pay their BS diagnostic fee and take it to another dealer?

Old 11-04-2022, 07:34 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

File a complaint with BBB
Old 11-05-2022, 04:59 PM
9sec
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 477 Posts

I would start with a visit to a lawyer ands ask for him to send a letter with the proof the warrenty is still in effect and what you want to settle this. second im sure they have a Facebook page post the events on there. bbb and up the gm chain reinforcing that the claim was filed before the expiration date and that gm is dragging its feet to void any warrenty work. lastly talk to some other dealers to see if they will honor the warrenty
Old 11-05-2022, 06:58 PM
ninten5
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 9sec
I would start with a visit to a lawyer ands ask for him to send a letter with the proof the warrenty is still in effect and what you want to settle this. second im sure they have a Facebook page post the events on there. bbb and up the gm chain reinforcing that the claim was filed before the expiration date and that gm is dragging its feet to void any warrenty work. lastly talk to some other dealers to see if they will honor the warrenty
Ok new update, took it to another dealer (recommended by a vette friend) and they found a faulty belt tensioner. Voila! Problem fixed, no more clanking at low rpm. Though I did have to pay for it, since powertrain doesn’t cover that.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:07 PM
9sec
Melting Slicks

Ok new update, took it to another dealer (recommended by a vette friend) and they found a faulty belt tensioner. Voila! Problem fixed, no more clanking at low rpm. Though I did have to pay for it, since powertrain doesn’t cover that.
if thats the case I would rip that first dealer to shreds on every social media I could find
The following users liked this post:
MeanRay1 (12-16-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 07:46 PM
Citation
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts

I would not be so fast to say the torque tube is ok. It may not have been the source of your noise but t’s a known failure item. The description by the original dealer was quite specific. Do you want to find out next year you have to buy one? I would waste a few hundred dollars to pay the second dealer to carefully inspect the torque tube.
The following users liked this post:
aklim (11-06-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 12:19 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

they are dragging their feet because they want to run out the warranty timer.

Scumbags, didnt even give me a loaner.
Why would that matter if they are getting paid? I am curious what the difference is whether they get paid by you or the warranty? It's not like the warranty costs them money or does it?

Why? I have been to many places and not all of them give loaners. My MB dealer might give you a loaner if you get the repair done late enough where they have a loaner. Otherwise luck of the draw. If one is available, good for you.
Old 11-06-2022, 12:20 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Citation
I would not be so fast to say the torque tube is ok. It may not have been the source of your noise but t’s a known failure item. The description by the original dealer was quite specific. Do you want to find out next year you have to buy one? I would waste a few hundred dollars to pay the second dealer to carefully inspect the torque tube.
I'd agree with that. Get a 2nd opinion before the warranty runs out. It could be more difficult after than before.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:58 AM
ninten5
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Citation
hmmm so I should take it to a third dealer? Honestly, I trust this second dealer much more, the tech has been working on corvettes for 30 years. And literally solved the major problem. I’ll monitor the car for a week more and go on longer trips. And really drive in different conditions to make sure of any noise coming from the front again.

Get notified of new replies

To Northern Virginia dealer refusing to honor CPO to replace torque tube

Old 11-06-2022, 11:37 AM
Citation
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts

Ninten, sorry I may not have been clear. I was not suggesting a third dealer. Simply explain the first dealer's diagnosis, and that you want them to actually inspect the torque tube. You will need to offer to pay for the inspection. If you are confident the problem is fixed I understand you can continue without further investigation. I was merely considering at wasting the labor cost of looking t the torque tube components at your expense, versus possibly buying the part out of warranty at a later date. If its not broke you don't have to fix it.
Old 11-06-2022, 03:02 PM
9sec
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim
Why would that matter if they are getting paid? I am curious what the difference is whether they get paid by you or the warranty? It's not like the warranty costs them money or does it?
warrenty work will have a set amount of labor paid by gm. not a dime more no matter how long it takes the dealer to fix it. so in a sense yes it costs them money since if it was the owner paying for it they could charge more labor and theres little to no recourse for the owner but to pay it
Old 11-06-2022, 03:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 9sec
warrenty work will have a set amount of labor paid by gm. not a dime more no matter how long it takes the dealer to fix it. so in a sense yes it costs them money since if it was the owner paying for it they could charge more labor and theres little to no recourse for the owner but to pay it
So if that is true AND the difference to the dealer is significant, why on earth would they want to do any warranty work? Why would I want to buy an extended warranty from GM if the dealers are going to blow me off?

Quick Reply: Northern Virginia dealer refusing to honor CPO to replace torque tube