C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost FOB - Help! TechLine MDI2 programming

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 11:03 AM
maestro300
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Lost FOB - Help! TechLine MDI2 programming

I lost my only FOB for my 2014 (somewhere on a jogging trail) Luckily I have the doors unlocked so I unlatched the roof and locked it to keep it safe.

My question is regarding new FOB programming. I have a ACDelco Techline subscription for that VIN so I can do all software updates. I am using a MDI2 clone which works great. I can get the car into accessory mode with it and not have the key (it appears) as it lets me get into the "Immobilizer" learn / relearn option.

Has anybody ever programmed a FOB without having the original key? Is it possible? I'm getting a new Fob delivered today and dont want to screw something up!
Old 10-26-2022, 11:27 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,830 Likes on 2,071 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

NO, not true. You can program with 0 no FOBs. You need to have the key that came with the car (2nd FOB has key). If you don't have a key, then you are in deep doo-doo. You will need to get a key from the dealer using the VIN. Once you have the key, you can program the new FOBs yourself using the long program that is listed on this forum.

Make sure you have the correct GM FOBs for your car.
4 button TRANSMITTER W/O REMOTE START Manual 14/15 22779879 16/19 23465950
5 button TRANSMITTER W/REMOTE START Automatic 14/15 22779880 16/19 23465951
5 button TRANSMITTER W/O REMOTE START Manual Convertible 14/15 22816265 16/19 23465954
6 button TRANSMITTER W/REMOTE START Automatic Convertible 14/15 22816266 16/19 23465955

Here is the link to the FOB programming thread

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...s-and-rke.html

Use the long program.
This information is for people that do NOT have tech eqpt that allows you to program stuff on the car.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 10-26-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:56 AM
maestro300
Instructor

Thanks-- since I have the dealer tools (Techline Connect) and the MDI2 that GM uses to program them- I will see if it lets me do a "Learn new" without having any key in the vehicle. I will update this afternoon!

I do not have the keys, nor any FOBs. So if this doesn't work it may become a driveway artwork piece like it has for the past 7 days!
Old 10-26-2022, 12:02 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by sammy burks
As I stated befor you do not have the key or fob you will need to take your title to a GM dealer they will make you a new key or program you a new fob. I know on a C6 corvette if you have the key you can program a new fob but I dont know if that would work on C7 .

Yes, if you have a key you can program on the C7. You can lose both FOBs and program the new FOBs to the car. All you need is the key or the cool stuff the OP has to get it done. But he should still have a key! The FOBs are not programmed, the car is programmed to recognize the FOBs.

Elmer
The following users liked this post:
maestro300 (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 01:10 PM
maestro300
Instructor

I got the new fob programmed and can now lock/unlock and start it! This was without both FOBs or any keys. I used the TechLine SPS2 tool and the MDI2 to update the Immobilizer from ACDelco. They are great tools for cases like this and a VIN subscription is like $40 for 24 months!

Old 10-26-2022, 01:20 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Awesome! I think I need one of those gadgets!

Elmer
Old 10-26-2022, 03:20 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Very cool

Curious....is there any validation process to get the VIN subscription? In other words can anyone with this tool program any C7?
Old 10-26-2022, 03:41 PM
maestro300
Instructor

I believe there is no VIN verification. However, you have to pay $40 per VIN unless you pay the big money for the unlimited like the dealerships use. This is a dealership tool.

On my c7, I only had to be in the vehicle with my MDI2 connected. Using the Techline software, I am able to connect to the vehicle and do software updates on any computer modules. This includes programming replaced parts (New ECU without VIN).

I do want to note, if you're programming a new FOB without a key-- they built in a 15 minute timer that you MUST wait to complete before it lets you move to the next step. The whole process takes yet another 10-15 minutes following prompts (press start button) hit next (Press and hold start button for 12 seconds)-- press next....etc I think the built in the initial 15 minute delay to prevent quick thefts but scary none-the-less that it can be done without any key at all. That part I certainly agree on! Again, these are meant to be dealer tools-- I am just a techie type person who wants to do my own Infotainment and other software updates on my own. I just happen to get lucky and have this tool when I lost my key and wondered if it would work.
Old 10-26-2022, 04:01 PM
9sec
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by maestro300
I believe there is no VIN verification. However, you have to pay $40 per VIN unless you pay the big money for the unlimited like the dealerships use. This is a dealership tool.

On my c7, I only had to be in the vehicle with my MDI2 connected. Using the Techline software, I am able to connect to the vehicle and do software updates on any computer modules. This includes programming replaced parts (New ECU without VIN).

I do want to note, if you're programming a new FOB without a key-- they built in a 15 minute timer that you MUST wait to complete before it lets you move to the next step. The whole process takes yet another 10-15 minutes following prompts (press start button) hit next (Press and hold start button for 12 seconds)-- press next....etc I think the built in the initial 15 minute delay to prevent quick thefts but scary none-the-less that it can be done without any key at all. That part I certainly agree on! Again, these are meant to be dealer tools-- I am just a techie type person who wants to do my own Infotainment and other software updates on my own. I just happen to get lucky and have this tool when I lost my key and wondered if it would work.
the long program is about the same. takes 30 minutes to delete all the fobs and start over with new fobs. programmed a new fob on mine with no software just a mechanical key in the trunk and fob in the steering column slot
Old 10-26-2022, 06:07 PM
eboggs_jkvl

My instructions shows various 10 minute wait intervals as it works it's way through. I got that timing interval from the owner's manual.

Elmer
Old 10-27-2022, 09:48 AM
maestro300
Instructor

Thats a great write up! I just read through it and good info to know!
Old 10-27-2022, 01:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by maestro300
........................................ ........

On my c7, I only had to be in the vehicle with my MDI2 connected. Using the Techline software, I am able to connect to the vehicle and do software updates on any computer modules. ........................................ ..

........................................ .
Which brand of MD12 do you have?

By the way I would suggest purchasing a second FOB and two keys (one for each FOB). They do come in handy.

Bill
Old 11-18-2022, 10:39 AM
maestro300
Instructor

Sorry for the late reply. It was one of those cheap Amazon Chinese knockoff MDI2's. The nice thing is it still gets the firmware updates from AC Delco when you launch the tool. The official apps see it as a genuine device. So far I've had no issues with it at all. It was kind of a fun thing clicking through each computer module in my vehicles and finding newer software versions.

I have an early 2014 that had the dim dash display at dusk - so I used it to update all of the modules required to fix it. It looks like most modules were up to date but did find maybe 5 or 6 that I updated to the latest versions. I used it on my GMC Acadia as well and it resolved some of the quirky bugs on the Infotainment. Unfortunately none of these updates changed anything with the UI's on it but is certainly more stable.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:12 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,640 Posts

I have one also , it's a VXDIAG it comes with a copy of GDS2 and Tech II Win and also acts as a PASS-THROUGH device . I bought it for the same reasons , I am a techie and I love doing my own work . I updated my TCM module and a few others , programed keys for my neighbors truck....

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Lost FOB - Help! TechLine MDI2 programming

Quick Reply: Lost FOB - Help! TechLine MDI2 programming