C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance Advice, please

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 05:55 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Maintenance Advice, please

I bought a C7 Stingray, 2LT , used with 20K milesabout 6 months ago. Recnty service by way of the dealers maintenace sticker on the inside of the windshield.

For various reasons I have put a mere 800 miles on it since and am now starting to wonder about maintenance.

I had planned to do a minor service, presumably an oil change and whatever else the dealer suggests, but am wondering if that's adequate?

Is there any other matters or service I should perform earlier or more ferquently?

How long can I expect the (presumably original) tires to last?

The car is garage kept, covered and with a trickle charger used when it sirts for more than a couple days.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2022, 07:19 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I suggest reviewing the maintenance schedule in your owners manual.

Then ask the dealer for a VIS which will show what work was done at GM dealers.
The following users liked this post:
JMII (02-23-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 07:46 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Seems like good advice...

Thanks
Old 02-21-2022, 08:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

A lot depends on what year the car is. If it is a 2014 maintenance requirements might be different than if it is 2019 due to years and mileage.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
C6_Racer_X (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 09:47 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,959 Posts

First thing I do when I get a new to me car is "It flows, it goes".
The following 2 users liked this post by aklim:
Catfish4818 (02-22-2022), vortech347 (03-31-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 11:06 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Elk
I suggest reviewing the maintenance schedule in your owners manual.

The manual is the best source of information since it is what the warranty is based on. A dealership is likely to recommend a wallet slimming plan, but depending on mileage or years there may not be much required. Stuff like brake fluid will go bad over time so even a low mileage car will require certain fluids flushed. A Corvette is just another GM vehicle (shared drive-train) so it doesn't require anything truly special.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:35 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,239 Likes on 3,472 Posts

Just follow the Owners Manual if you have doubts.

And, as for "...whatever else the dealer suggests..." if you do this prepare to get soaked if you have an even moderately unscrupulous dealer! They will tell you that your car MUST have anything they can come up with to charge extra for, from nitrogen in your tires (note the percentage in the atmosphere ) to cleaning your throttle-body, to a frammus-flush for your rear-mounted wingding-dooddle. Enjoy your Vette!
Old 02-25-2022, 09:30 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Avanti

And, as for "...whatever else the dealer suggests..." if you do this prepare to get soaked if you have an even moderately unscrupulous dealer! They will tell you that your car MUST have anything they can come up with to charge extra for, from nitrogen in your tires (note the percentage in the atmosphere ) to cleaning your throttle-body, to a frammus-flush for your rear-mounted wingding-dooddle. Enjoy your Vette!
Just do your own research. The owner's manual, IMO is the least amount they can get away with telling you to do. There may be more less. Do your own research.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:49 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 305 Posts

You do not state the year but your 20K mile car only needs yearly oil changes.

If your car has a manual transmission I would also dilute the clutch fluid (Ranger method) with new at each oil change.

Other than that you are good to go.
Old 02-27-2022, 04:56 PM
Spicy16
Forever Topless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 47 Posts

Not long ago I bought a 2016 with only 6300 miles. The GM report basically just showed regular oil changes.

I just hit 13k miles so changed the engine oil and the diff oil. Both aren't difficult. Engine oil isn't cheap, but diff oil isn't bad. I also went ahead and changed the cabin filter and engine air filter. Both air filters seemed pretty clean.

Next weekend I'm planning to go ahead and flush the brake fluid and coolant. To my knowledge, neither has been done. Both of those degrade over time regardless of miles. In addition, they are cheap and relatively easy to do. Each will cost me less than $30 or so. That's cheap insurance.

In regard to your tires, check the build date on them. Mine is still on the originals from 2016 and are fine on tread life, but it is recommended to replace them after 6 or 7 years. I'll replace mine at the end of the summer before I hit my Fall "travel" season.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 02-27-2022, 05:20 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you! That's about the best advice I received thus far and makes sense to me. I was working under the notion that I would have the dealer do a minor service (oil change, inspection and fix any minor issues. Might replace other fluids as well as I assume they are original (I think the dealer from whom I bought the car may have some information on that) I'm contemplating at least one road trip of maybe 500-800 miles this summer plus some some fun in the sun until late Fall.

I may sell it after that. It's just not getting enough use and I'm getting to the point where I'm finding it harder to get in and out of the car and I certainly don't need the full-blown "Sports Car" that the C7 - 2LT provides. I am hoping I won't lose too much money. Wish I had never sold my 2007 C6 base - now that was a great road-trip car. The C7 is a bit too much a "true" Sports Car" with all the performance, ride characteristics, small cockpit, etc.that implies. I can't imagine what a ZO6 might be like.

Thanks again 👍

Last edited by last901; 02-27-2022 at 05:23 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 02-27-2022, 05:30 PM
Spicy16
Forever Topless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 47 Posts

I use mine in the Fall for trips to college football games. It's about 400 miles roundtrip. Also have a Mercedes and BMW. Both me and the wife enjoy this one the most for those trips. I have the magnetic suspension so can dial in just the right highway ride. Really surprised at how comfortable the seats really are for longer trips. Wife lives the full-time wifi we have in it. Only issue is cargo space (mine is the convertible). When we do longer beach trips (8 hour one way drive), we take the BMW, but only because of luggage capacity.

Enjoy yours while you have it. Maybe you'll find a happy medium that fits you just right!
Old 02-27-2022, 08:35 PM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 102 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Avanti

Good point. Beware the stealerships!
Old 03-31-2022, 09:44 AM
vortech347
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 133 Posts

I bought a 16 Z51 M7 with 7k miles back in November 2021. Within the first month I changed all fluids except coolant, brakes and clutch (did the Ranger method).

I did oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, air filter and cabin air filter. I did it all myself so it did not cost me an arm and a leg for peace of mind.

All of the fluids looked good except the clutch fluid and diff. I suspect the dealer had done an oil change but I wanted to make sure it had the right oil.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:50 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vortech347
I bought a 16 Z51 M7 with 7k miles back in November 2021. Within the first month I changed all fluids except coolant, brakes and clutch (did the Ranger method).

I did oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, air filter and cabin air filter. I did it all myself so it did not cost me an arm and a leg for peace of mind.

All of the fluids looked good except the clutch fluid and diff. I suspect the dealer had done an oil change but I wanted to make sure it had the right oil.
You did all that and didn't want to do clutch, coolant and brakes?
Old 03-31-2022, 10:12 AM
vortech347
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aklim
You did all that and didn't want to do clutch, coolant and brakes?
The car has 7k miles. They are not scheduled to be changed yet. I did do the ranger method on the clutch fluid.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:50 AM
aklim
Team Owner

The car has 7k miles. They are not scheduled to be changed yet. I did do the ranger method on the clutch fluid.
Isn't it 2 or 3 years for brake fluid and coolant 5 years?
Old 03-31-2022, 03:35 PM
vortech347
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aklim
Isn't it 2 or 3 years for brake fluid and coolant 5 years?
I just looked in my manual and it says every 3 years for brake fluid and every 5 for coolant. Guess I'll be doing those soon, afterall.

I know it's overkill given my car is garage kept and not driven a lot. But those are cheap maintenance items.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I just looked in my manual and it says every 3 years for brake fluid and every 5 for coolant. Guess I'll be doing those soon, afterall.

I know it's overkill given my car is garage kept and not driven a lot. But those are cheap maintenance items.
Used or not, brake fluid is hygroscopic. I think coolant does break down after some time or mileage.

Get notified of new replies

To Maintenance Advice, please

Quick Reply: Maintenance Advice, please