C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 09:39 PM
URNASTY
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Electrical issue?

I tried searching but this is a little in depth and didn't find an answer. I went on a vacation for a week and put the 2014 M7 Stingray on the battery tender for the first time. In the bag and box the previous owner had written on a sticky note to plug the charger into the wall first upon install and unplug at wall first upon removal. I confirmed this in the manual and did just as instructed.
So today I take it off the tender wash the car and go run some errands and I did most of my driving in track mode. When coming back to the car after it was turned off on all 3 occasions upon starting it started in Tour mode. Is this normal? Is it a safety thing? I took it out tonight and drove in Sport mode and when I came back to the car and restarted it stayed in Sport.
Now the second and maybe more important question as I was driving tonight the center cluster (info area - speed/tach) went completely black and all kinds of lights came up on the dash. The analog gauges stayed and my radio was still live. It stayed this way for about 3-5 seconds then was gone.
Also once today the seat did not respond to me pushing the "1" button for position as I have auto return off I just tap the button upon starting.

Anyone else have any of these issues and do you think they could be related or related to me putting the car on the charger?
Old 08-08-2021, 10:17 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

When crazy things happen on our cars, the first question asked is, "How old is your battery"?

How old is your battery?

Elmer
Old 08-08-2021, 10:50 AM
URNASTY
Advanced

Good question. Just looked and it’s an X2 power battery which appears to be distributed by batteries plus and I am unable to find a date code.

Last edited by URNASTY; 08-08-2021 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:59 PM
URNASTY
Advanced

Contacted original owner. He said he replaced the battery no more than 1 year ago.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:57 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,303 Likes on 862 Posts

Comments:

- Drive mode will restart in the same mode for Tour and Sport (and I think Eco on my 2019). Track and Weather will default back to Tour as will Eco on most years.

- Seat memory is sometimes flaky. It seems to get confused if you open and close the door without exiting. M7 needs the parking brake set for a short poke on #1 or #2. (Auto should be in Park). Did you try holding in the memory button?

- There is a service bulletin PI1245, Document ID # 3829637 for a dealer software update to provide a choice for memory recall at ignition. The original choices were ON (at door open) | OFF. Labor on the PI was listed at 0.4 hr,

- batteries can fail at any time - even be bad on the store shelf

Ron

Last edited by RonC7; 08-08-2021 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:37 PM
URNASTY
Advanced

RonC7 thanks great news on the reset to tour. Also that is good news on the service bulletin. I thought it was kind of wonky having the seat move close to the wheel when entering the vehicle, does not seem like they put much thought into that one.

Still no clue on the digital portion of the dash going out. Not sure how it could be the battery if nothing else went out... Gremlin I guess.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:06 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,303 Likes on 862 Posts

YW

As far as the dash display - an occasional quirk is just an annoyance. But - if it occurs often there are various software and hardware fixes to try. These are not cars, but are really computer networks. If timing is off a bit on startup weird messages and symptoms show up. That is often caused by a weak battery.

Some sources of good info:

- C7 General | Sticky Threads on this site.

- Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | C7 Knowledge Base is full of good info.

Ron
Old 08-09-2021, 06:52 AM
Toddster993
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I always use track mode when on the track and every time I restart the car for the next session it defaults back to tour mode. When I drive on the street I use sport and it restarts in sport mode

Last edited by Toddster993; 08-09-2021 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:43 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Besides the battery check all connection points on top of the battery. Since it was changed no telling what was overtightened, left loose and so on!

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical issue?

Quick Reply: Electrical issue?