C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to my Grand Sport?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 12:33 AM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Integrity1
Disconnect your battery all night
Disconnected new Optima battery from car and connected the charger/maintainer to the battery.. Leaving it disconnected from car overnight.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:05 AM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 285 Posts

Connect an current meter inline with the battery to determine exactually how much current draw is on the battery. Should be ~50 to 70 ma. Any more you got something wrong.

If more then:

You can start pulling fuses, one at a time, watching the meter to drop current wise, to help determine where the excessive current draw is coming from.

Last edited by Tinkertech; 04-21-2021 at 08:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Integrity1 (04-25-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:33 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 849 Posts

It is possible that the inline device triggered a code that can only be cleared by a MDI2 tool. I haven't seen anything that HPTuners itself couldn't clear but I have heard there are a few.

I also saw a RPM video on YouTube where it seems that flashing the car with a pedal commander connected caused all sorts of electrical and running issues. The car would only fire on some cylinders. They had to remove the device and reflash the car to the stock tune to clear the issue. Then they were able to move forward and tune the car. I know your device was an inline device but I wonder if something similar has happened where the ECU needs a hard reset from the MDI2 tool. The source of the issue was touching the ECU with a pedal commander hooked up. Hopefully you can get this solved without a trip to the dealer.

Oh and I'm sure you are, but be sure to tighten the batter terminal properly. You can check the voltage and amps downstream of the battery with an amp meter to be sure you're getting the proper contacts.

Last edited by Internets_Ninja; 04-21-2021 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:39 AM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
It is possible that the inline device triggered a code that can only be cleared by a MDI2 tool. I haven't seen anything that HPTuners itself couldn't clear but I have heard there are a few.

I also saw a RPM video on YouTube where it seems that flashing the car with a pedal commander connected caused all sorts of electrical and running issues. The car would only fire on some cylinders. They had to remove the device and reflash the car to the stock tune to clear the issue. Then they were able to move forward and tune the car. I know your device was an inline device but I wonder if something similar has happened where the ECU needs a hard reset from the MDI2 tool. The source of the issue was touching the ECU with a pedal commander hooked up. Hopefully you can get this solved without a trip to the dealer.

Oh and I'm sure you are, but be sure to tighten the batter terminal properly. You can check the voltage and amps downstream of the battery with an amp meter to be sure you're getting the proper contacts.
Battery terminals have been tight AF every time I have connected them.
Waiting on my MDI2/Laptop to get here so I only have the VXDIAG VCX Nano, and HPTuners MPVI-2 Pro Suite currently.
I am being proactive since it is my daily and I have a brand new PCM, Rear Diff Control Module, and Brake Control Module purchased and on the way, in case I need to clone a PCM or any new module.
What has me baffled is the car runs perfectly engine wise, no CEL, so if PCM suffered some sort of retardation from the VP16 it is weird that it is everything but the engine function messed up.

Last edited by ANGRY Z; 04-21-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:19 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by ANGRY Z
Battery terminals have been tight AF every time I have connected them.
Waiting on my MDI2/Laptop to get here so I only have the VXDIAG VCX Nano, and HPTuners MPVI-2 Pro Suite currently.
I am being proactive since it is my daily and I have a brand new PCM, Rear Diff Control Module, and Brake Control Module purchased and on the way, in case I need to clone a PCM or any new module.
What has me baffled is the car runs perfectly engine wise, no CEL, so if PCM suffered some sort of retardation from the VP16 it is weird that it is everything but the engine function messed up.
The VCX Nano can emulate an MDI2. I've done it on my Z06. I used the VCX to update some modules over the TIS website and then I've also used it with the MDI2 emulator clone software. I used it to turn on the afterblow feature in the A/C.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:46 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Went back to the drawing board and it's fixed!
I re-questioned the possibilty of a grounding issue and went back over the grounds with a wrench this time, and the one that the catch can was bracketed to took a few small turns to snug it down some more. Started up car and all issues are gone!
I will test drive it tomorrow and see what happens. Leaving battery connected over night to verify that nothing is drawing down volts.. The Volo Performance engineer wants me to give their VP16 another try. Lol.
I will update y'all tomorrow.
BIG THANKS TO ALL that have contributed their input during this freak situation!!
I hope this helps the next guy/girl that runs into similar situation.

The following 2 users liked this post by ANGRY Z:
GeoGS (04-22-2021), Integrity1 (04-25-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:15 PM
motojager
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

The ground gremlin strikes many. Glad you found it.
The following users liked this post:
ANGRY Z (04-21-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 06:07 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by motojager
The ground gremlin strikes many. Glad you found it.
Me too!

Quick Reply: What happened to my Grand Sport?!