C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket exhaust questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 10:34 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Aftermarket exhaust questions.

What brand are you using and why?

Should I buy cat back or axle back?

Does aftermarket work with active exhaust or do you lose that ability?

is it all bolt on?

Who has the Corsa sports? These are what I'm considering.

Best place to buy?
Old 12-19-2020, 10:40 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 849 Posts

I chose Borla because I prefer the deeper sound, specifically the Sport version. Corsa is also great but you need to pick which sound you like better. The one thing I like about Corsa over the Borla is the tip alignment. You have to work harder to line up the Borla tips. Corsa solved this by fusing their tips so that you don't have to line them up individually.

Purchasing "cat back" which replaces the factory mid pipe (x pipe) is recommended for volume, sound and performance. Borla no longer offers the catless midpipe so I wouldn't bother with that. Corsa still sells the catless mid pipe as does AWE I believe. These are all interchangeable with any axle back system that fits like OEM. So you could buy a Corsa or AWE catless Xpipe and the Borla axle back and it would all bolt up like OEM. OR you could just buy all Corsa.

Yes aftermarket systems work with AFM and NPP but you need to buy the correct version.

Yes it is all bolt on with the exception of the Borla X pipe that does NOT remove the rear cats. Then you have to cut the stock midpipe after the secondary cats. This is why I wouldn't bother with any midpipe(xpipe) that keeps the factory secondary cats. You want the complete catless x pipe that bolts up to the factory system up front. As mentioned, Corsa and AWE catless Xpipes do. Borla used to sell a version that does, but they no longer do.

Pretty sure Meraki, a vendor on here sells it all, I've purchased from them a few times. Great prices and good service. Can't go wrong with Josh over there.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Internets_Ninja:
DAVEY2 (12-24-2020), ImBatman (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 10:49 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Great info!! Thanks!!!
Old 12-19-2020, 11:15 AM
G-manO
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll add that I have a BBE (billy boat) bullet PRT axle back. I got it because my c7 stingray came with the non-npp exhaust which I found to be way too quiet, even at wot. I live in ca with the strictest smog inspections in the nation and will fail if there is anything aftermarket detected in the path from the air flow sensor to the cats, therefore, I got the axleback version, midpipe. you didn't mention if you have a stingray, grandsport, or z06 but for the stingray, there are two general aftermarket models, ones for non-npp like mine and ones for npp. The exhausts for non-npp cars have the VTM valves but no npp valves. BBE also makes exhausts i.e. fusion for npp cars and those have both the VTP and npp valves. If you have a z06, from what i've seen, I don't think those have the VTM valves but do your research.

everyone has their own preferences so try to hear them in person in possible, or at least watch as many youtube sound recordings as possible (which still aren't the same but will give you an idea. I like the sound of the bullet PRT but i'll note that it has a noticeably higher pitch, all the way from off throttle to wot. I would describe it more of a "screamer" rather than rumbling off throttle and having a more mid level tone on acceleration like most of the other exhausts I've seen; the stock npp is deeper as well. The PRT (purge resonance tech) works pretty much as advertised to reduce/eliminate loud droning at cruising, low throttle driving. I can still hear it a bit but it's pretty muted and nice to have since I don't have npp to quiet it down when desired.
Old 12-19-2020, 03:49 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

If you actually do the headers & Xpipe I'd stick with the NPP stock untill you actualy hear them on your car, if you can stand the sound level Borla is the nice rumbly one
Old 12-22-2020, 10:29 AM
406Miles
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

What does the sound do if I just have the secondary cats removed and leave everything else in place?
Old 12-22-2020, 01:31 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by 406Miles
What does the sound do if I just have the secondary cats removed and leave everything else in place?
If u have NPP it was almost as loud as my headers and high flow cats, it sounds great

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 12-22-2020 at 01:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
edweiler (12-26-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 10:03 AM
0JUICED1
Former Vendor

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts

If headers might be in your future you don't want to buy a catback. All long tube systems will come with their own Xpipe and you kind of get stuck with the one from the catback.

Corsa has a new NPP system that sounds pretty amazing and retains the valves. Most aftermarket systems that do really go from loud to louder. I really enjoy the factory NPP with headers. Adding long tubes will increase the volume and being able to switch from touring to sport is a blast. With headers the sport mode really wakes up yet the touring mode is still very subtle and easy to drive daily with a headache. It really offers the best NPP function. If you decide you still need more volume you can always add an axleback down the road.

Check out our site, we have some great pricing with coupon code VETTE.

Last edited by JUICED1; 12-23-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:03 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
I chose Borla because I prefer the deeper sound, specifically the Sport version. Corsa is also great but you need to pick which sound you like better. The one thing I like about Corsa over the Borla is the tip alignment. You have to work harder to line up the Borla tips. Corsa solved this by fusing their tips so that you don't have to line them up individually.

Purchasing "cat back" which replaces the factory mid pipe (x pipe) is recommended for volume, sound and performance. Borla no longer offers the catless midpipe so I wouldn't bother with that. Corsa still sells the catless mid pipe as does AWE I believe. These are all interchangeable with any axle back system that fits like OEM. So you could buy a Corsa or AWE catless Xpipe and the Borla axle back and it would all bolt up like OEM. OR you could just buy all Corsa.

Yes aftermarket systems work with AFM and NPP but you need to buy the correct version.

Yes it is all bolt on with the exception of the Borla X pipe that does NOT remove the rear cats. Then you have to cut the stock midpipe after the secondary cats. This is why I wouldn't bother with any midpipe(xpipe) that keeps the factory secondary cats. You want the complete catless x pipe that bolts up to the factory system up front. As mentioned, Corsa and AWE catless Xpipes do. Borla used to sell a version that does, but they no longer do.

Pretty sure Meraki, a vendor on here sells it all, I've purchased from them a few times. Great prices and good service. Can't go wrong with Josh over there.

Good luck!
Thanks for the kind words. Merry almost Christmas.

Originally Posted by clovergamecock
Great info!! Thanks!!!
We can get you taken care of with Borla, Corsa, AWE, etc!!

-Josh
Old 12-24-2020, 03:53 PM
DAVEY2
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you know if adding the x-pipe will cause the car to not pass an emissions inspection? I am in a county in Georgia that requires the inspections in order to get a yearly registration.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:04 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DAVEY2
Do you know if adding the x-pipe will cause the car to not pass an emissions inspection? I am in a county in Georgia that requires the inspections in order to get a yearly registration.
Davey I am in GA also, we just have OBD2 testing , no sniffter test as long as u have no CEL u pass
Old 12-24-2020, 05:08 PM
Kehraus
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Since the cats in the back are not monitored by the computer, why doesn't somebody make 'cat look' pipe covers that would pass a visual inspection?
Old 12-24-2020, 05:21 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kehraus
Since the cats in the back are not monitored by the computer, why doesn't somebody make 'cat look' pipe covers that would pass a visual inspection?
no sir they are not, several manufacturers that were making them already made them with "resonators " in the front ... not sure they resonated anything and were put there just for a visual ....

Dave
Old 12-31-2020, 08:16 AM
fabianvs
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MerakiAutoworks
Thanks for the kind words. Merry almost Christmas.

We can get you taken care of with Borla, Corsa, AWE, etc!!

-Josh
which x pipes do you have in stock ?
Old 12-31-2020, 02:44 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by fabianvs
which x pipes do you have in stock ?
Should have some Corsa's by the mid of this month.. hopefully.

-Josh

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket exhaust questions.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust questions.