C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To cam or not to cam... THAT is my question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 11:55 AM
Hawkerpilot62
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default To cam or not to cam... THAT is my question.

Fellas, I have a ‘16 C7 Z06 A8 that I just finished putting an AFE CAI on and I’m about to slap on an AFE off-road x-pipe and Borla ATAK exhaust.
I’ve been considering a cam, (nothing crazy, mind you) and LTH w/HF Cats a local high performance shop will do for about $6500. with a tune.
So here goes: this is a daily driver for me that will not see a track. Maybe a strip, but even that would be rare. I’d really like to have that “idle.”
Thoughts??

Thank you, gentlemen.

Last edited by Hawkerpilot62; 09-20-2020 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Misspelled word.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:30 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Performance wise it’s totally unnecessary with the mods you’ve listed. However if it’s a pure idle reason then it’s the only way you’ll get it. Definitely make sure the shop is extremely familiar with these cars. Does the $6500 include the headers, cats, cam, all necessary parts for the swap, tune and the hp tuner credits? If so, that seems really cheap and I’d be worried. The parts alone (good quality) and hp tuner credits will cost about $5000-$5500 and no shop is doing that job for the difference.
The following 3 users liked this post by ss2z06:
Hawkerpilot62 (09-20-2020), Kirito (05-10-2021), S.FLA..Z06 (10-27-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 12:59 PM
Hawkerpilot62
Advanced

That is with everything included. I could PM you their quote if interested. Not sure what “tuner credits” are. The cam and associated materials are coming from Texas Speed shop. It had an Halltek CAI and I won’t need that.

Ron
Old 09-26-2020, 05:40 PM
MiNuS31
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkerpilot62
That is with everything included. I could PM you their quote if interested. Not sure what “tuner credits” are. The cam and associated materials are coming from Texas Speed shop. It had an Halltek CAI and I won’t need that.

Ron
What part of texas you live?...I went to a local shop here in houston and had them add a stage 3 cam and MSD atomic air intake manifold on my C7 M7 with a tune...all parts and labor included...but the cam package offered alone with tune is $3500...but I paid $1200 for the manifold and taxes etc...just over $5k out the door...total mods on my car is CAI, Kooks Headers, X Pipe, Corsa Extreme Exhaust, MSD manifold, Stage 3 Cam, Tune...idle is just perfect for me...can meet up one weekend if ya live close by to check it out...but performance wise I notice a difference adding the cam...but I just got it mainly for the acoustics...wouldn't be worth the HP gains/performane for the price alone in my opinion...
Old 09-26-2020, 06:00 PM
Hawkerpilot62
Advanced

Originally Posted by MiNuS31
What part of texas you live?...I went to a local shop here in houston and had them add a stage 3 cam and MSD atomic air intake manifold on my C7 M7 with a tune...all parts and labor included...but the cam package offered alone with tune is $3500...but I paid $1200 for the manifold and taxes etc...just over $5k out the door...total mods on my car is CAI, Kooks Headers, X Pipe, Corsa Extreme Exhaust, MSD manifold, Stage 3 Cam, Tune...idle is just perfect for me...can meet up one weekend if ya live close by to check it out...but performance wise I notice a difference adding the cam...but I just got it mainly for the acoustics...wouldn't be worth the HP gains/performane for the price alone in my opinion...
Hey bud, thanks for the reply. I live just West of Ft. Worth. I have a couple other shops shooting me quotes now. Baileys adjusted mine down to about $6500. since I am proving the exhaust with the X-pipe. They’re adding the cam and LTH’s with a tune for that number. He says he can guarantee me 700 to the wheels.

Ron

Last edited by Hawkerpilot62; 09-28-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:08 AM
0JUICED1
Former Vendor

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts

We usually recommend doing a cam on these cars. The TSP stage 2 cam makes a great roots style blower cam since it has zero overlap. It has a solid chop but still drives excellent with zero surging or stalling. The nice thing is if you decide to add more power down the road you always end up needing a cam for the high side fuel system. Having the cam already taken care of allows you to push it harder when you're ready.

We usually charge $2300 for the install and tune on a cam plus an oil change. Cam/dod delete kits will run you around $1200-1400 and headers can range from $500-2500 depending on quality.
The following users liked this post:
Hawkerpilot62 (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 10:10 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,238 Likes on 3,471 Posts

From what you say, I'd call it a waste of resources.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:27 AM
MiNuS31
Instructor

Originally Posted by Avanti
From what you say, I'd call it a waste of resources.
For me im happier with my car...that’s all that matters...I knew what I was buying and expected...of course the performance gains help as well but I just drive it on the weekends and wanted a nice cam sound with a performance boost...win win for me...no Lewis Hamilton over here...
Hawkerpilot62 (09-30-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 09:09 PM
LT1pwrd'94
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

If you haven't already, contact Matt at Dedicated Motorsports. He's in Weatherford, they do fantastic work. Top notch tuning on these Gen 5 LT motors..
Hawkerpilot62 (10-26-2020)
Old 05-06-2021, 05:57 PM
Thuggishcoot42
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

what HP gains did you get ? I was told tune plus lth is 40 hp and cam is like 80hp
Old 05-06-2021, 05:57 PM
Thuggishcoot42
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

what HP gains did you get ? I was told tune plus lth is 40 hp and cam is like 80hp
Old 05-06-2021, 07:58 PM
MiNuS31
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thuggishcoot42
I got 495RWHP...not sure what stock GS RWHP is...
Old 05-08-2021, 02:45 PM
2ZORNOT2Z
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 259 Posts

If you are doing LTH you can't use your AFE X-pipe so don't put that on, you have to buy the X-pipe that mates to the LTH (Kooks or ARH - do not do TSP headers on a Z06, they don't fit right or didn't on my Z anyway - you get what you pay for with Kooks or ARH). I would wait to put the ATAK on as well until you hear the LTs with the NPP. It's nascar loud in sport/track with NPP, will be louder wit ATAK and that doesn't add any power anyway. I'm not sure you'll end up at 700 rwhp with just the mods you listed unless you add a pulley or E85. That lope will sound awesome though!
Old 05-08-2021, 07:45 PM
Lancevance
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

I was quoted $7700 just for a cam. Cam and heads was $10k. This is what they said was necessary for a reliable cam swap:

camshaft, phaser lockout kit, phaser bolt, ARP cam bolts, cam gasket w/hardware, timing cover gasket set, oil pan gasket/rvt, ARP crank bolt, BTR dual valve springs w/titanium retainers, hardened pushrods, NGK spark plugs, MSD spark plug wires w/heat socks, Mobil 1 oil, oil filter, coolant, GM LT1 head gaskets, GM LT1 exhaust gaskets, LS7 lifters, LS7 lifter trays, ARP LT1 head bolts.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:11 PM
MiNuS31
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lancevance
I was quoted $7700 just for a cam. Cam and heads was $10k. This is what they said was necessary for a reliable cam swap:

camshaft, phaser lockout kit, phaser bolt, ARP cam bolts, cam gasket w/hardware, timing cover gasket set, oil pan gasket/rvt, ARP crank bolt, BTR dual valve springs w/titanium retainers, hardened pushrods, NGK spark plugs, MSD spark plug wires w/heat socks, Mobil 1 oil, oil filter, coolant, GM LT1 head gaskets, GM LT1 exhaust gaskets, LS7 lifters, LS7 lifter trays, ARP LT1 head bolts.
What shop gave you that quote?...my cam package plug air intake manifold was 5k...from SeriousHP...car runs and sounds great...
Old 05-08-2021, 08:14 PM
Lancevance
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

What shop gave you that quote?...my cam package plug air intake manifold was 5k...from SeriousHP...car runs and sounds great...
American heritage performance in SoCal. I decided against it ultimately. $7.7k is a lot of money, and I'd have emissions issues and it would hurt resale value too. They also said the car would have to be in the shop for 5 weeks and it's my daily...so car rental would be another $1.5k.

They said it's for offroad use only and that I wouldn't be able to pass the annual smog check. All that seems like a lot of hassle for 80 extra hp. I like NA engines, so I guess I'll just save up for the C8 Z06, which is supposed to be a flat pane crank NA V8.

$5k sounds more reasonable though.

Last edited by Lancevance; 05-08-2021 at 08:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To To cam or not to cam... THAT is my question.

Quick Reply: To cam or not to cam... THAT is my question.