C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shop build times

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 11:32 AM
Bruce_K
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Shop build times

what's a reasonable amount of time for a shop to have your with you getting ancy?
Its only in for performance upgrades. Although its a decent amount of work. Its going on 6 months.

Just want to make sure I'm not being dramatic.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:26 PM
99vetteran
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 308 Posts

Whats their excuse for the hold up. What are you having done? Sounds like to much time for any build in my opinion. What did they originally tell for the build time?

Last edited by 99vetteran; 07-12-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:03 PM
Bruce_K
Racer

Its not much of a excuse, the orignal date was may 20th. I dropped the car of March 4th.
I was getting my engine built and tuned. I also had a transmission swap. they finally started on the Car last week. but it hasnt been to much progress since.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:20 PM
Ricky218
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

@Bruce_K I totally understand your frustration, I'm in a very similar situation. My car went to the shop for a motor build and has been gone for 4months. They finally finished the install and did the first start up last week. I'm sure there are a lot of variables that cause delays but I think the communication or lack there of is a huge part of the problem. Thats been my experience so far.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:09 PM
99vetteran
Melting Slicks

For sure, machine shop time, ordering parts, etc. It does suck but hopefully both will be great builds and come back home with big power.

Last edited by 99vetteran; 07-12-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:15 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Factor in we are in a pandemic. Supply chains have been impacted severely everywhere. Call the shop and ask you contact to send pics of the build. How hard can it be to send a few pics every 2 weeks. Assess their attitude next time you make a call for a status. Is the shop accommodating, indifferent, or hostile?
Old 07-12-2020, 06:13 PM
Bruce_K
Racer

Originally Posted by MMD
Factor in we are in a pandemic. Supply chains have been impacted severely everywhere. Call the shop and ask you contact to send pics of the build. How hard can it be to send a few pics every 2 weeks. Assess their attitude next time you make a call for a status. Is the shop accommodating, indifferent, or hostile?
so i dropped off all the parts at once, nothing extra needed to be ordered and if it did I paid for overnight shipping. The machine shop was done with the engine in 3 weeks. The guy at the shop has been pretty indifferent about communicating. Never mean but not very responsive.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:32 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bruce_K
so i dropped off all the parts at once, nothing extra needed to be ordered and if it did I paid for overnight shipping. The machine shop was done with the engine in 3 weeks. The guy at the shop has been pretty indifferent about communicating. Never mean but not very responsive.
When you spoke with him do you ever ask him about how long this project would take and is he providing you with bi-monthly status updates so you can assess the project progress? Need to speak with him and get a better sense where the project stands, are there any issues with getting additional unexpected parts, or is he having personnel issues at his shop because of the pandemic. Just need to clarify with him where the project stands. Be respectful and work with the shop. If he is not a great communicator it will be up to you to drive the conversation to get you answers. Major projects like this could drag on for 6 months but many times delays are likely a result of internal personnel scheduling issues. Give him a call every 2 weeks just to ask how things are going at his shop. Don't sit back and then call him 4 months after he had the car and expect it to be done. You need to coddle the project along while being tactful and considerate about it.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:00 PM
99vetteran
Melting Slicks

When you say piggy back I think your talking about Unichip. When I was at Magnuson Superchargers we had customers who couldn't wait for us to finish the proper tuning for the Toyota Tundra 5.7. They'd buy an earlier kit and then use the Unichip. Constant lean conditions, check engine lights, limp mode. We were always getting complaints about it from the customer and they couldn't wait till we got our tuning finished and wished they'd waited. You know some people are in a big hurry and just can't wait. That would not be a good option for anyone wanting to make good power, not sure its a good option at all.

Last edited by 99vetteran; 07-12-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:26 AM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,230 Likes on 775 Posts

This is why we are so strict with timelines. I do not bring the car in until all parts are here and the car doesn't leave the bay until it's done. An engine build we schedule the pull and already pre schedule the install as the machine shop I use 99.9% of the time hits their timeline of getting a motor back to me within 2.5-3 weeks. But sometimes even less. Sometimes customers don't like when they go to schedule and i'm 8-9 weeks out but when your car comes in it gets worked on the day it's supposed to be. We have many of our big power and moderate power setups down so well that a 1500 HP C7 build If the customer has us bring in an already sleeved block I can have on the dyno tuned in 10 business days. I hope your situation gets better and they provide you a great product!
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 07-14-2020, 06:24 PM
CraigStu
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 301 Posts

Maybe a quiet talk w/ the machine shop to see if he can recommend another installer? I guess 22 years as a tech at a Lexus dealer has me a little jaded.I find so many stories I see here as absolutely unacceptable. I know it's a different business, but if this guy figures he doesn't even need to talk to you, I'd do all I could to pull your car. Basically it's effe him.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:52 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,234 Likes on 3,468 Posts

Very few things should take THAT long!!!
Old 07-16-2020, 02:53 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bruce_K

Well, if you are suspicious about this I would take a surprise flight and pay the shop a surprise visit. Just tell the guy you have an old aunt that died recently and she lived in the general vicinity. Tell him that's what brought you out to his area and you just wanted to drop in while you were in the area. As a business man he should understand this. You need to get some assurance there is no funny business going on. If he is a legit business man that he would have no problem spending a few minutes with you and show you the car. If however, he becomes agitated I would call the police.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:34 PM
shane mccollom
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Well, if you are suspicious about this I would take a surprise flight and pay the shop a surprise visit. Just tell the guy you have an old aunt that died recently and she lived in the general vicinity. Tell him that's what brought you out to his area and you just wanted to drop in while you were in the area. As a business man he should understand this. You need to get some assurance there is no funny business going on. If he is a legit business man that he would have no problem spending a few minutes with you and show you the car. If however, he becomes agitated I would call the police.
call the police?? Lol

man do don’t any of that. If you wanna fly out or drive out to check on your car, be honest and say I came to check on my car. It’s been X amount of time and I’m ready to drive this beast. Lol. Cops won’t do anything as it’s a civil matter and not a criminal matter. Good luck and I hope you get your car back quick. My shop delivered my car to my house and I get back this weekend to drive it. I’m excited.

Get notified of new replies

To Shop build times

Quick Reply: Shop build times