C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a piston upgrade necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 06:14 PM
zcyr10
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a piston upgrade necessary?

I have a '15 z51, main mods are a procharger and a single nozzle 50% meth kit. Anyways, just got the car back from getting tuned and it made 677rwhp at 14.6psi boost. I've seen many people say to change them out around 700. I don't plan (at the moment) to take the car any further, but I was hoping the meth would keep everything cooler and it wouldn't be necessary to change them out.
It's just a street car for fun, no track driving.
Thoughts?

Last edited by zcyr10; 04-18-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:21 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 760 Likes on 516 Posts

That’s a lot of power
Post up your exact mod list
Old 04-18-2020, 10:41 PM
zcyr10
Intermediate

Procharger with D1X upgrade
LT4 HPFP
Meth kit running on 50% meth
borla x pipe no cats
tony mamo ported throtle body
Dyno tune
Old 04-19-2020, 09:38 AM
irapilot
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe you are are on the ragged edge if not a little beyond it, and are pushing your luck with that amount of boost (power). Yes the meth definitely helps keep it cooler but it can do only so much. If you not really using the power i.e. the quick entrance ramp hit, etc. you may survive. If you make the heavy hits It's probably only a matter of time.

The biggest initial problem is the ring gap is to tight. You make the heavy hit the heat builds up, the top ring expands closing up the gap and the top ring land of the piston fails taking a chunk of the piston off. The first thing you do when installing rings in a boosted applications is open up the ring gap. There have been some that open up the ring gap and stay with the stock pistons, which "helps" them survive longer. But why would you do that with all the effort it took to tear the engine down, why wouldn't you put in a drop in forged piston set.

I'd pull the boost down to under 10psi. Just my thoughts

Old 04-19-2020, 10:12 AM
zcyr10
Intermediate

Originally Posted by irapilot
I believe you are are on the ragged edge if not a little beyond it, and are pushing your luck with that amount of boost (power). Yes the meth definitely helps keep it cooler but it can do only so much. If you not really using the power i.e. the quick entrance ramp hit, etc. you may survive. If you make the heavy hits It's probably only a matter of time.

The biggest initial problem is the ring gap is to tight. You make the heavy hit the heat builds up, the top ring expands closing up the gap and the top ring land of the piston fails taking a chunk of the piston off. The first thing you do when installing rings in a boosted applications is open up the ring gap. There have been some that open up the ring gap and stay with the stock pistons, which "helps" them survive longer. But why would you do that with all the effort it took to tear the engine down, why wouldn't you put in a drop in forged piston set.

I'd pull the boost down to under 10psi. Just my thoughts

That's kind of my feeling here also. I honestly thought I would land around 630ish, but now creeping up on the magic 700 has me a little nervous to really romp on it
Old 04-19-2020, 10:56 AM
jplake
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Drive it and enjoy it as is. Save money for a short block just incase, but you may never need it.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:49 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 849 Posts

Cleetus has 800 RWHP on his Z51 for 20K+ miles but then it finally popped. You're on borrowed time so just don't be upset if it gives up on you. But enjoy it.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:38 PM
zcyr10
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
Cleetus has 800 RWHP on his Z51 for 20K+ miles but then it finally popped. You're on borrowed time so just don't be upset if it gives up on you. But enjoy it.
that's some serious power on stock pistons, I believe he was running meth as well which I'm sure helped the longevity and I'm hoping the same in my situation.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:25 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zcyr10
that's some serious power on stock pistons, I believe he was running meth as well which I'm sure helped the longevity and I'm hoping the same in my situation.
The meth is only going to help the pistons. 800 rwhp on a stock LT1 will eventually eat up the thrust bearings. 14.6psi on a Stock LT1 is also iffy when it comes to longevity. I'm only saying be thankful if it stays together for a long time but don't be upset if it pops early.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:14 PM
99vetteran
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 308 Posts

I ran into issues once I reached 16 to 17 psi on the stock Lt1 pistons and eventually broke number 1 and 8 ring land. I should have stopped at about 13-14 lbs. First indication that something was going on when it pushed the front crank seal out at a race in St Louis. Replaced that flimsy *** Lt1 seal with an Ls3 seal. Ls Fest it started leaking from the rear seal but I had one more race planned at St Louis again and did a job on it there. Dumped a lot of oil out in my belly pan diaper and still put some oil on the track. So I'd recommend not exceeding 13 psi or so on the stock pistons. Another thing is crank case ventilation, that's one of the most important things in my opinion and I didn't do my job on that end as I should have. Too much crankcase pressure and your gonna screw some stuff up along with to much PSI in the cylinders.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:18 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Texas Speed just showed a tear down of Cleetus's engine. He spun a main and a rod bearing and had multiple broken pistons. You're on borrowed time on any stock piston LT1 with high boost or big power.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:47 PM
99vetteran
Melting Slicks

Yup, its gonna happen at some point.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:31 AM
zcyr10
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
Texas Speed just showed a tear down of Cleetus's engine. He spun a main and a rod bearing and had multiple broken pistons. You're on borrowed time on any stock piston LT1 with high boost or big power.
Originally Posted by 99vetteran
Yup, its gonna happen at some point.
Originally Posted by 99vetteran
I ran into issues once I reached 16 to 17 psi on the stock Lt1 pistons and eventually broke number 1 and 8 ring land. I should have stopped at about 13-14 lbs. First indication that something was going on when it pushed the front crank seal out at a race in St Louis. Replaced that flimsy *** Lt1 seal with an Ls3 seal. Ls Fest it started leaking from the rear seal but I had one more race planned at St Louis again and did a job on it there. Dumped a lot of oil out in my belly pan diaper and still put some oil on the track. So I'd recommend not exceeding 13 psi or so on the stock pistons. Another thing is crank case ventilation, that's one of the most important things in my opinion and I didn't do my job on that end as I should have. Too much crankcase pressure and your gonna screw some stuff up along with to much PSI in the cylinders.

Thanks guys looks like I have some more work to do, until then I'll just be easy on it
Old 04-23-2020, 10:34 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

1 bar is a lot of boost.
Wouldn't hurt the longevity by reducing to 11psi. Probably cost you 40hp. But that's better than a whole new driveline...
Old 04-23-2020, 10:46 AM
zcyr10
Intermediate

Here's the graph is anyone is curious, meant to put this in the original post

Old 04-23-2020, 12:13 PM
99vetteran
Melting Slicks

Looks good.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:09 AM
Dave02C5
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm at 648 rwhp at 11 psi. I thought I was at the edge. Lol

Get notified of new replies

To Is a piston upgrade necessary?

Quick Reply: Is a piston upgrade necessary?