C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop in pistons and rods

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 08:59 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Default Drop in pistons and rods

Into an LT1 - 5k miles on it. Looking to bulletproof for additional boost.

Would those more knowledgeable than me explain the installation process if I prefer the motor not be removed? Also, presume that this would be the time to add a cam, better rockers, delete AFM, ...

What would the labor be and what else should be considered. Thanks all and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-26-2019, 10:45 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I did all of this with rods & pistons & cam and DOD do yourself something to help you on all of this pull the motor you will be better off. Robert
Old 12-26-2019, 10:49 AM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

I agree with pulling the engine out. We do heads and cam in car but as soon as we are swapping pistons the engine goes on a stand.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:04 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Originally Posted by HorsePowerAddicts
I agree with pulling the engine out. We do heads and cam in car but as soon as we are swapping pistons the engine goes on a stand.
I agree OP don't want to tell you this but this is why for me. When I did the pistons & rods got all my stuff from a vendor in here don't want to say which one BUT they sent me WRONG crank bearings and ALSO wrong rod bearings also for only 4 of the rods the 4 rod bearing was over 1/4 inch wider & every one of the crank bearing was wrong..Robert
Old 12-26-2019, 11:08 PM
Obe1 GS
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 128 Posts

It's my understanding that unless the new pistons/rods weigh very close to what you're removing, you need to get the rotating assembly re-balanced. This would require pulling the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Drop in pistons and rods

Quick Reply: Drop in pistons and rods