C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW-TO: Install LG Z06 Cooling kit (My take)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 08:46 AM
Prop Job
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 180 Posts

Check your lower outermost -AN fittings. Mine were rubbing on the wheel well vent mesh and eventually rubbed through. I made a lower "brace" to move the bottom of the heat exchanger forward a 1/4" to stop the contact.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:29 AM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Prop Job
Check your lower outermost -AN fittings. Mine were rubbing on the wheel well vent mesh and eventually rubbed through. I made a lower "brace" to move the bottom of the heat exchanger forward a 1/4" to stop the contact.

This can be solved by the direction the fittings are actually facing, you cannot move the rad more forward in the car, due to the bumper contacting it. These fittings are a "PAIN" to work with, there are specific directions they must face to avoid this.

I note this, and a bit more in my thread I linked to before.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:16 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Originally Posted by Nuclearranger
This can be solved by the direction the fittings are actually facing, you cannot move the rad more forward in the car, due to the bumper contacting it. These fittings are a "PAIN" to work with, there are specific directions they must face to avoid this.

I note this, and a bit more in my thread I linked to before.

I actually just had this happen, even though mine don't appear to be rubbing, they must have flexed around while driving and made contact enough. So despite my "positioning" this is something to watch for. You can kind of tell if this is possible by wiggling the heat exchangers. If they have enough play, they will kinda bounce around a bit.

I bought this, I think this is the fitting used....

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Nuclearranger; 10-10-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:11 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,397 Likes on 1,000 Posts

I actually just had this happen, even though mine don't appear to be rubbing, they must have flexed around while driving and made contact enough. So despite my "positioning" this is something to watch for. You can kind of tell if this is possible by wiggling the heat exchangers. If they have enough play, they will kinda bounce around a bit.

I bought this, I think this is the fitting used....

https://www.amazon.com/EVIL-ENERGY-D...NrPXRydWU&th=1
guys… you need to either add low profile 90s or replace the existing hose ends with low profile ends. I didn’t want to make new hose so I just added a low profile 90 to each existing outer fitting.

also use aluminum mesh not steel. That way the mesh doesn’t cut through the fitting but kind of wears down also…

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 10-17-2022 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:58 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

@BrunoTheMellow funny you should mention this, I just purchased
Amazon Amazon
earlier today.

This looks to be much lower profile. I only had an issue with the one side... so ill just do one fitting for now.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:42 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

@BrunoTheMellow funny you should mention this, I just purchased https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 earlier today.

This looks to be much lower profile. I only had an issue with the one side... so ill just do one fitting for now.
I had issue on 1 side more than the other but since I was pulling the bump, I decided to do all 4 fittings.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:27 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
I had issue on 1 side more than the other but since I was pulling the bump, I decided to do all 4 fittings.
btw after first track day. Not a drop out of any of the connections
Old 04-06-2024, 10:09 PM
Alex 2861
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the dimensions of these coolers and if there is clearance for them to be bigger?

Thank you
Old 04-06-2024, 10:44 PM
Hershey71
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex 2861
Does anyone know the dimensions of these coolers and if there is clearance for them to be bigger?

Thank you

I installed DeWitts race radiator and Inercooler along with a 185⁰ stat and haven't had the Z06 go into limp mode since . Before it would go into limp mode after the long straights , my best time was 2:32 at Road America ,so I do run it pretty hard , I wasn't big on cutting up the bumper. So I thought I'd try this first 🤔
Old 04-06-2024, 10:46 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,473 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex 2861

Thank you
I think you could fit something 10mm+ deeper with more compact connectors, and it could probably be another 20-30mm wider, but you'd have to tinker with mounts to center it perfectly. To be honest, I don't think there's enough space to make enough of a difference. It seems to work pretty good anyway?
Old 04-06-2024, 10:51 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hershey71

I installed DeWitts race radiator and Inercooler along with a 185⁰ stat and haven't had the Z06 go into limp mode since . Before it would go into limp mode after the long straights , my best time was 2:32 at Road America ,so I do run it pretty hard , I wasn't big on cutting up the bumper. So I thought I'd try this first 🤔
Bigger radiator did not work well for me. Also, if anything, bigger intercooler cuts even more airflow to radiator, making it harder for it to do its job, with less and possibly hotter air flow.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:39 PM
Hershey71
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you had the GM upgraded radiator put in on the TSB. I wouldn't expect that to have changed much in the overheating. That radiator wasn't nearly as large as the DeWitts race radiator. My overheating problem was probably exacerbated by the GM tech that replaced the water pump and didn't verify how strong the coolant was. He didn't get all the air out of the system and that caused msfires on cylinder #7 & 8. When I drained everything I checked it with my refractometer and it pegged it I deluted it 50% and it still measured @ 43% what a moron. The air conditioning condenser will restrict the air more than the larger intercooler and radiator will. My Temps run considerably lower than they did before the upgrade. GM wouldn't reimburse me because a GM tech didn't do the work.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:43 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Happy to hear that it all worked out well in your case. In my case, I used both Dewitt's Race radiator as well as OEM upgrade, and the results were similar: it was not overheating, but it was running very very hot, pegging 250 degrees F coolant, at which point I could not go any faster than a Grand Sport anyway : )

Keep in mind, the track configuration, driving conditions, etc. also has a significant impact, so YMMV.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: Install LG Z06 Cooling kit (My take)