C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I do not trust my dealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 04:24 PM
Collina
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I do not trust my dealership

I have a 2016 zo6 with 42240 miles. I never put off servicing the car right away. I am a girl and I do admit there is times that I drive close to 90mph but not very often. My normal speed is 80 to 85.
I noticed a few days back that when I gave it gas when the light turned green the car would not go. It felt as if it was not getting any power. finally after a couple of seconds It took off very fast. A few days later I was driving in town and as I started to slow down as I approached a stop sign the car sounded as if it was running out of fuel. I had to keep my foot on the gas and brake at the stop sign thinking it was going to die. I drove a few 100 feet more and it continued to make a missing sound as if it was not getting enough fuel or it was missing. I pulled over and turned it off. the car never got hot or the the oil pressure never went down low although it was blowing white smoke from the tail pipes. My son came to where I was and checked the oil. The change oil message had came on while driving just 30 minutes before. My son said it was low but not so low that could have caused the any thing to go wrong. He added 1 qt and let it set for a few min before starting it. I started the car and it sounded ok. I continued to drive the rest of the way home while he followed me. i drove another 5 miles at 70 mph before it began doing the exact same thing again. I immediately stoped and we had it towed to the dealership. The dealership said I had 4 blown injectors plus when the injectors blew it also ruined my fuel pump. They want 6000 dollars to fix it. I may be a girl that knows nothing about car engines but how was I able to drive my car onto the trailer that towed it with out a working fuel pump. my car was still drivable somewhat. How did I ruin 4 cylinders when I do everything that they ask of me for my car to prevent something so costly to my ennginne?
Old 10-17-2019, 04:47 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issues. Your 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty is expired, which is a tragedy in itself in this case.
Starting in 2016, powertrain warranty will be 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. That means the buyer of a 2015 Corvette Stingray or Z06 will have 40,000 more miles of warranty coverage over future models. dated Mar 26, 2015
Unfortunately, the fine print for the powertrain warranty does not include the fuel pressuzided system, which is what your dealership is saying is the cause of your malfunctions.

What’s Not Covered by a Powertrain Warranty

https://www.carchex.com/content/what...warranty-cover

All you can do is open a case with GM regional, and they may be able to do something for you.

You posted this in the C6 forum, and I for one am not informed on the C7, so it may be best to post your thread in the C7 section, if you have not done so already

Good luck

Old 10-17-2019, 05:10 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,315 Likes on 887 Posts

You shouldn't trust them ever.

You should ask them exactly what tests they conducted to determine their conclusion. Did they flow test the injectors? How was the fuel pump tested? etc.

The other option is to try to find a mechanic or shop that has experience and knowledge diagnosing and repairing C7 Corvettes.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:20 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Collina
My son said it was low but not so low that could have caused the any thing to go wrong. He added 1 qt and let it set for a few min before starting it.
Likely not related but the Z06 has the dry sump oil system which requires a 5 to 10 minute wait time before checking the oil level. So if your son checked it immediately his adding oil might have overfilled it.

All I know is white smoke isn't good and has nothing to do with your fuel system, that is normally a head gasket / coolant leak which is really bad news (sorry). Hopefully someone with more info will chime in.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:43 PM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree with JMII...... white smoke is usually a blown head gasket. Check your oil and coolant to see if it's creamy (milky)...., which is what happens when oil and anti-freeze mix. Did your car get really hot recently which may have caused a head to warp ?? Good Luck with everything...... and I know some girls who have forgotten more about auto mechanics than most guys know so don't sell yourself short...
Old 10-17-2019, 05:49 PM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

And you're right not to trust the dealer. Get a second and third opinion. Ask around and find yourself a good local mechanic,
Old 10-17-2019, 05:55 PM
Collina
Heel & Toe

I appreciate the warranty info. Tell me if I am totally wrong with were I am going with this. I have close to 43000 miles. I do not see that the dealership has ever changed my fuel filter because if they had they should have listed it on their paperwork I receive back explaining the work they performed as part of the servicing. Could it possibly be the fuel filter causing the car to idle so rough. Does a fuel pump slowly go out? I have had my fuel pump in my husband work truck go out and it was not a slow process it just quite. I asked the dealership if they changed the oil and fuel filter prior running the diagnostic and they told me no. Am I wrong to think that something as simple as a fuel filter could cause the 4 of the 8 injectors to stop running. if the fuel pump went out why does the car still run?
Old 10-17-2019, 06:07 PM
Collina
Heel & Toe

My son knows about the dry sump. it had been at least 30 minutes before he checked it.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:10 PM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

I have no idea what "blown injectors" might be, but I'm pretty sure that nothing about the injectors would cause the fuel pump to fail. Find the very best shop and ask for a diagnosis. It will cost you ~$100, but then you will have a better idea of the problem and any associated warranty coverage.

And, 30 minutes is way too long. Don't let him mess with your car any more!

Last edited by laserdude2215; 10-17-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:17 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

$6K seems really steep for 4 injectors and a pump. I suggest you call Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista and talk to Rich. Although they may be a little too far for you to take it to, Rich will give you invaluable info on what could be wrong and what you should expect to pay. FYI - Abel has a stellar reputation with Corvette service, likely the best in the country.
The following users liked this post:
psthin (10-27-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 07:06 PM
DTOM
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 407 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I'd suggest contacting a local speed shop that specializes in our cars.

Don't trust that dealership. Likely don't even have any Corvette techs.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:39 PM
Collina
Heel & Toe

I left a message on Rich voicemail. Thank u
Old 10-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Collina
Heel & Toe

My car did not over heat recently. It did not get overheated on the day this happen either.The oil pressure was normal and so was the engine temp. there was no fumes or smoke coming from the engine area. There was no smell either. The service tech informed me that in order to change the fuel filter it would take 17 hrs to change since the fuel filter is located in the engine. I assume that we never need to change our filters in a corvet. I had to change my GMC Sierra 2500 every oil change
Old 10-17-2019, 07:53 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

https://americanheritageperformance.com/
Old 10-17-2019, 08:25 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,300 Likes on 861 Posts

The fuel filter is located in the left side gas tank along with the low pressure fuel pump. The high pressure fuel pump is camshaft driven and is on top of the engine near the fire wall. I don't see how oil being a bit high or low would cause your problem

GL

Ron
Old 10-17-2019, 09:53 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

FWIW, instructions on replacement of the fuel filter:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...-filter-368703

The above state the fuel filter is part of the pump and is located in the tank. 100,000 miles before replacement.

Last edited by DWillys; 10-17-2019 at 09:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JMII (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 12:52 AM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

Before worrying about servicing the fuel filter, fuel injectors, fuel pump or any other such nonsense, I would work on getting the oil level back to an acceptable level.

@Collina you and your service tech have some serious communication issues. It might be a good idea to have him write it down.

Get notified of new replies

To I do not trust my dealership

Old 10-18-2019, 08:29 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Collina
My car did not over heat recently. It did not get overheated on the day this happen either.The oil pressure was normal and so was the engine temp. there was no fumes or smoke coming from the engine area. There was no smell either. The service tech informed me that in order to change the fuel filter it would take 17 hrs to change since the fuel filter is located in the engine. I assume that we never need to change our filters in a corvet. I had to change my GMC Sierra 2500 every oil change
17 hours for a fuel filter?
Thats just ignorant. A half decent tech could have the whole car apart in 17 hours.
IMO you should find a better dealership to work with.
One that knows where the fuel filter is, etc. Simple things...
Ask other local Vette owners where they take their cars, you'll find a good answer.

Also, as others have stated, injectors failing should not cause a pump to fail, then there's the whole "how/why did 4 injectors fail on a 3 year old car" question...
Old 10-18-2019, 09:46 AM
mityaz
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm just gonna say this (and I hope I am wrong), but this thread sounds like this collina person is trolling.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

If it’s not running right and you have a warranty.

1. Tow to dealer using GM roadside service
2. “my ***** broke”
3. return for repaired car

its not hard

Quick Reply: I do not trust my dealership