C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side mirror loose from base

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 11:46 AM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Default Side mirror loose from base

Someone nailed my right side mirror in a parking lot and it is now loose from it's base, The mirror motor still works and is still adjustable.

It looks like the mirror housing is held to the base by tabs on the mirror base. Does anyone know exactly how this works. I tried reinserting the base into the housing and twisting but it does not really lock into place and is kind of loose. Currently, as a temporary measure, it is held in place with duct tape.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Had that happen on one of the mirrors on my C5. The mirror housing is held to the base by sort of a stud type of fitting that has a spring like cam attached to the stud from inside the base. When the spring pops off the stud the mirror housing will fall off the base. One way to fix it is to remove the base and drill a hole for a screw that can hold the two parts together but that also keeps the mirror from pivoting. You might figure out a way to get the spring attached to the stud again but that is usually difficult since the edges that hold it in place on the stud are worn off when the spring breaks loose.

You can also purchase a new mirror assembly but it will more than likely need to be painted and the painter will have to realize the mirror will need to be pivoted so paint will cover the top of the base so it matches the car's paint when the mirror is turned on the base. It looks a little awkward if mirror housing is turned and the top of the base is light gray primer colored while you have a red or other color car.

The spring could have broken off without anybody hitting the mirror. They are under a lot of pressure so the mirror doesn't turn easily and the act of turning the mirror can cause them to pop off or sometimes they just pop off. I was drying my C5 and turned the mirror to get the water out so it wouldn't run down the side of the car later on and while I was drying the water off the door I heard a loud pop and the mirror fell onto my hand.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-30-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:14 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
Someone nailed my right side mirror in a parking lot and it is now loose from it's base, The mirror motor still works and is still adjustable.

It looks like the mirror housing is held to the base by tabs on the mirror base. Does anyone know exactly how this works. I tried reinserting the base into the housing and twisting but it does not really lock into place and is kind of loose. Currently, as a temporary measure, it is held in place with duct tape.
Thanks for the info. Upon examining the mirror housing I can't find anywhere the paint is either chipped or scratched. Maybe the thing just fell off. It was hanging on the base standoff and attached by the wiring cable.

Since the car is still on the 36 month warranty I think I'll take it to the dealer and see if they will fix it.

If not I may try to attach the housing to the base with some high strength silicone adhesive I have available. That would keep the housing from turning but but still allow it to come loose if it did sustain real hit without trying to pull the base loose from the door skin.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:11 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Update:

Chevy agreed to warranty the mirror housing since upon close inspection there wasn't even a scratch on the housing from the assumed contact with something. Apparently it just came loose by itself from a failure of the base to housing connection.

I took the car to Criswell in Gathersburg, where I purchased it, and they contacted Chevy warranty and sent some requested pictures. This was last Friday and this morning I was informed the warranty work was approved.

I'm amazed at the excellent customer service Criswell provided for this problem. There are some excellent Chevy/Corvette dealers.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:55 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Had that happen on one of the mirrors on my C5. The mirror housing is held to the base by sort of a stud type of fitting that has a spring like cam attached to the stud from inside the base. When the spring pops off the stud the mirror housing will fall off the base. One way to fix it is to remove the base and drill a hole for a screw that can hold the two parts together but that also keeps the mirror from pivoting. You might figure out a way to get the spring attached to the stud again but that is usually difficult since the edges that hold it in place on the stud are worn off when the spring breaks loose.

You can also purchase a new mirror assembly but it will more than likely need to be painted and the painter will have to realize the mirror will need to be pivoted so paint will cover the top of the base so it matches the car's paint when the mirror is turned on the base. It looks a little awkward if mirror housing is turned and the top of the base is light gray primer colored while you have a red or other color car.

The spring could have broken off without anybody hitting the mirror. They are under a lot of pressure so the mirror doesn't turn easily and the act of turning the mirror can cause them to pop off or sometimes they just pop off. I was drying my C5 and turned the mirror to get the water out so it wouldn't run down the side of the car later on and while I was drying the water off the door I heard a loud pop and the mirror fell onto my hand.

Bill
Old thread, sorry.
Bill, is it possible to compress that spring again to get the mirror housing back onto it or do I need an entire unit I started a thread where my mirror got knocked off.

Thanks!
Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Side mirror loose from base

Quick Reply: Side mirror loose from base