C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple Q's for the HPDE Guys

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 11:18 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,622 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Hey 2019GSTX

I'm in Saginaw and I'll be doing the same event. I have low dust pads as well and will be putting the stock pads back on for the event. I think they will be fine for one session. The car in stock form should be just fine for a novice. I've done a few events in my other Corvettes but I'm looking forward to driving my GS at COTA. It's a great track.

I have a full face helmet, so I'll be using that.
The following users liked this post:
2019GSTX (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:49 PM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 568 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
Hey 2019GSTX

I'm in Saginaw and I'll be doing the same event. I have low dust pads as well and will be putting the stock pads back on for the event. I think they will be fine for one session. The car in stock form should be just fine for a novice. I've done a few events in my other Corvettes but I'm looking forward to driving my GS at COTA. It's a great track.

I have a full face helmet, so I'll be using that.
Thanks my man!
‘Cool u’ll be there, i’m Looking fwd to it. I’ll look u up.
Yeah gonna flush the fluid and put the stock pads back on.
‘Will be helmet shopping this week
Old 06-23-2019, 10:00 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 896 Likes on 539 Posts

You need an alignment if you haven’t done so. Rear caster as delivered is usually way off, should be about +.7. You’ll need a dealer that knows what he’s doing, maybe someone can suggest one in your area. Track alignment should also had negative camber, more so to the front wheels. Without negative camber up front you will severely wear the outside edges of your tires.
Have fun! I was in your situation about a year ago, went to COS. I’ve done about 20 track days since. It’s very addicting, and expensive. Great time though

Last edited by fatsport; 06-23-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:25 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by fatsport
You need an alignment if you haven’t done so. Rear caster as delivered is usually way off, should be about -.7. You’ll need a dealer that knows what he’s doing, maybe someone can suggest one in your area. Track alignment should also had negative camber, more so to the front wheels. Without negative camber up front you will severely wear the outside edges of your tires.
Have fun! I was in your situation about a year ago, went to COS. I’ve done about 20 track days since. It’s very addicting, and expensive. Great time though
The recommended target for test caster is positive, not negative. It should be about +0.7 or so, if you're following DSC's advice. If it's the other way around on your car, you might need an alignment : ))

Last edited by X25; 06-23-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:48 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 896 Likes on 539 Posts

Posting while walking the dog, hit the wrong key. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2019, 04:46 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

To compound on what’s been said. Power Stops are a definite no go for track use. Dust free pads means the compounds used can’t handle track heat. Alignment is a great idea. The faster you get the more important it is. Do not run dropped all the way down on the lowering bolts! You are killing your suspension travel and will cause the car to lose traction a lot sooner. The lowering bolts are for corner balancing. SRF is a great brake fluid, what I use, but have a dealer do a flush to clear your antilock system of DOT 3. Most importantly, have fun!!!
Old 06-28-2019, 11:06 AM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '19-'20

Originally Posted by rb185afm
To compound on what’s been said. Power Stops are a definite no go for track use. Dust free pads means the compounds used can’t handle track heat. Alignment is a great idea. The faster you get the more important it is. Do not run dropped all the way down on the lowering bolts! You are killing your suspension travel and will cause the car to lose traction a lot sooner. The lowering bolts are for corner balancing. SRF is a great brake fluid, what I use, but have a dealer do a flush to clear your antilock system of DOT 3. Most importantly, have fun!!!
Thanks!
Switching back to stock pads for this 1 event. Will raise car back up for sure.
No DOT 3 in this car
WILL HAVE FUN!!!!
Old 06-28-2019, 01:30 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 137 Posts
Default DOT 4 is standard on 2019s

DOT 4 is now standard brake fluid fill on 2019s. I would think that it would be backwards compatible.

Originally Posted by 2019GSTX
First off, welcome, to another Texan!
With regards to the brake fluid flush, I think it goes back to the owners manual and the statement that they want you switch back after high performance driving. For me its more of warranty thing really. I'm not saying that I'll be swapping it out right when I get back but I will do it at some point when I get home. As for future tracking events, I probably wont be doing anything for awhile. I'm just getting going with all this track stuff and its gonna be awhile before I can jump into it head first, too many other projects going on.
For the oil question, I'll rig up something with my Mity Vac kit to pull the oil back out of the oil tank. again, just following the book for warranties sake.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:32 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Powerstop has Track Day Pads

Powerstop has a track day pad. I've used it but have recently changed to Raybestos ST-43 pads for the track.

Originally Posted by rb185afm
Old 06-28-2019, 09:23 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,404 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by dfettero
DOT 4 is now standard brake fluid fill on 2019s. I would think that it would be backwards compatible.
Well if that's true it's still garbage. I took my 2019 ZR1 to the track just to bed the brakes. I left pit out and accelerated, then when I went to brake for turn 1 the pedal went almost to the floor. I limped around the rest of the lap with very soft brakes and then took the car home to put Castrol SRF in it - no problems after that.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:53 PM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '19-'20

OK so it appears I have the required deflectors installed on the front control arms and knuckles. Now I just need to get a set of ducts to stick in there.
Cultrag is running a 4th sale this weekend so I guess i’ll order those.
You guys have a safe and happy 4th of July!

Old 07-05-2019, 06:36 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Not much to add, solid responses so far - but a thought as I’m still super new to HPDE...

You will absolutely be fine with the stock pads for an event at the novice level... COS is great but I came to the conclusion it’s like knowing you can get to the moon... whereas HPDE events are about building the parts in the rocket... meaning - There is so much to learn you can’t imagine how much.

So - stock pads were fine for me for several days of HPDE... then I started to have to manage brakes because I’d get some fade on a high speed brake event or I’d have different levels of grip based on prior turns and usage... when I switched to true track pads the notion of threshold braking became a real thing at high speeds and it was the same “effort” in every single turn.

Said differently - track pads make a huge difference in braking when compared to stock. They are spot on consistent turn to turn fast or slow. When people say the brake is the fast pedal... my lap times at The Glenn dropped by 15 seconds - because of the confidence in the brakes.

So - all that said as a new guy and respecting its like $500-ish for track pads all the way around and that this is your first event... 100% run the stock pads. See if you like it. If you do and you are gonna get serious - then 100% get some track pads and be blown away...

(Also a friendly PSA) someone above said track pads are loud off the track... they ain’t just loud... they squeak and squeal like a 6 ton garbage truck... came home from last event, didn’t swap them out yet, ran to the store for the wife and as I’m pulling in these 2 guys with their families are pointing at the car smiling... I touched the brake and the sounds were so horrific the guys looked like I ran over one of their kids and their wives both were shaking their heads no... so do yourself a favor and swap them race pads out after the track... I killed those 2 dudes hopes of ever owning a Corvette!!!
2019GSTX (07-05-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 11:10 PM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '19-'20

Just wanted to thank you guys again. The car performed flawlessly today at the Circuit of the America’s.
Brakes were good with no fade, tires grippy, it was an awesome day!
parade laps with the guys were a little frisky and then the hot laps later with an instructor were even better.
‘The track was an absolute sight to behold and now being able to say I drove it is awesome.
Met Marcho Polo and his friend Brian
Was a hot day, hit 100, was a nice drive home to Dallas, in the air conditioning!
think I have an addiction now
Old 07-22-2019, 09:19 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

think I have an addiction now
Sorry to hear you had such a great time... I have about $1800 in harnesses, bars, belts, HANS, etc arriving this week... never mind I need to register for the enxt event, pay track insurance, food lodging, and more brake pads...

Welcome to the only thing I know of that sucks money out of your wallet faster than owning a boat!
2019GSTX (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 09:49 AM
ANGST_VA
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks my man!
‘Cool u’ll be there, i’m Looking fwd to it. I’ll look u up.
Yeah gonna flush the fluid and put the stock pads back on.
‘Will be helmet shopping this week
I have a full face helmet and was running with the visor up , I got pegged in the cheek with something on the track at around 80MPH , I run visor down now . Full face helmets are definitely a good idea.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:28 AM
S/C 5.0
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Austin. How do I Get on the track at COTA. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:26 AM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '19-'20

Originally Posted by S/C 5.0
I live in Austin. How do I Get on the track at COTA. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Go to
www.edgeaddicts.com
They have an event schedule with some more events coming up this year at COTA.

Yesterday was absolutely awesome out there. Everything was running from Fiat 500's to Mini Coopers, Miata's, Porsche, Challengers, Mustangs, Ferrari's, McLaren, BMW's, Corvettes and even a couple open wheel cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Couple Q's for the HPDE Guys

Old 07-22-2019, 11:28 AM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '19-'20

rbeasley1 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:34 AM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '19-'20

Originally Posted by fishpick
Sorry to hear you had such a great time... I have about $1800 in harnesses, bars, belts, HANS, etc arriving this week... never mind I need to register for the enxt event, pay track insurance, food lodging, and more brake pads...

Welcome to the only thing I know of that sucks money out of your wallet faster than owning a boat!
I hear ya, and that's what I'm afraid of....
Nothing like smoking a couple Miata's and a Lancer down the front stretch up to the top of the hill!.....now wheres that damn Mustang!
Old 07-22-2019, 01:37 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by fishpick
As a boat owner (granted only a 16 footer) this statement 100% accurate.

Quick Reply: Couple Q's for the HPDE Guys