C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2014 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 01:46 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My 2014 will not start

I went on vacation and forgot to put the battery maintainer that came with the car as an option.

I pushed the start button and it turned over slowly.

Then I hooked up a regular charger and it took the charge but when I pushed the button it would not even crank. I noticed a message that said something like theft deterrent system needs service.

Is the some way of reseting the system to get it to turn over again.

I forgot to mention that I stuck the key into the hole in the steering column but it did not help. Any help would be appreciated, I really do not want to pay to have a mechanic drive to my house and I do not want to tow it.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:51 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

When a battery goes below a critical voltage level (like what happened during your cranking attempt) it will often create operational "glitches" with some of the modules. I would disconnect your battery and connect the charger and let it have time to fully charge. While the battery is disconnected it is likely the impacted module will reset itself and the problem will disappear.

If you are in a hurry just disconnect the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes but then ensure that the charger/booster is well connected to your battery for the next start attempt to make sure that system voltage doesn't drop too low during cranking. If your battery charger doesn't have significant current capacity to assist during the start I wouldn't try this because the voltage will simply drop too low again. The direct injected engine requires a few revolutions to build up sufficient fuel pressure so it will crank longer for a start and this will be a greater drain/strain on your battery/charger combination.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:06 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by NSC5
When a battery goes below a critical voltage level (like what happened during your cranking attempt) it will often create operational "glitches" with some of the modules. I would disconnect your battery and connect the charger and let it have time to fully charge. While the battery is disconnected it is likely the impacted module will reset itself and the problem will disappear.

If you are in a hurry just disconnect the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes but then ensure that the charger/booster is well connected to your battery for the next start attempt to make sure that system voltage doesn't drop too low during cranking. If your battery charger doesn't have significant current capacity to assist during the start I wouldn't try this because the voltage will simply drop too low again. The direct injected engine requires a few revolutions to build up sufficient fuel pressure so it will crank longer for a start and this will be a greater drain/strain on your battery/charger combination.
Thanks, I have another vehicle to drive so I'll just unhook it any wait overnight.

My charger is the type you see in service stations. It is similar to this one but mine is over 30 years old

Last edited by 2 Ag R8Cs; 07-01-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:22 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Your starter should have enough capability to start your C7 after a brief refresh via charging but it would still be safer to fully charge it overnight and maybe still leave it connected in the boost position for the initial start.

Hopefully the disconnect/reconnect and charge will solve the problem. good luck!

Rodger
Old 06-30-2017, 06:20 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Your starter should have enough capability to start your C7 after a brief refresh via charging but it would still be safer to fully charge it overnight and maybe still leave it connected in the boost position for the initial start.

Hopefully the disconnect/reconnect and charge will solve the problem. good luck!

Rodger
I am just guessing on this but I thing that the theft deterrent system has disabled the starter. I don't have much experience with a push button starter but usually if I set the charger to 200 amp if it does not crank at least I can hear the solenoid clicking. I have been away all day visiting a friend. I will disconnect the battery when I get home. Also the charger has a built in battery charge indicator and it checks out OK. I also checked out the volt gauge on the dashboard and it reads a bit over 12 volts
Old 06-30-2017, 07:10 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The theft deterrent system will disable the starter but hopefully the disconnect/reconnect will allow it to reset.

You might also try your other RKE remote and perhaps place it into the steering column pocket in case your RKE battery is going out. But I expect the issue occurred because of a voltage drop while trying to start the car with a nearly discharged battery.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:53 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

The theft deterrent system will disable the starter but hopefully the disconnect/reconnect will allow it to reset.

You might also try your other RKE remote and perhaps place it into the steering column pocket in case your RKE battery is going out. But I expect the issue occurred because of a voltage drop while trying to start the car with a nearly discharged battery.
Yep I did try the other key and I did stick it in the steering column but no luck
Old 06-30-2017, 11:09 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
Yep I did try the other key and I did stick it in the steering column but no luck
My 2014 had a similar problem and my battery was not run down. Mine started after about hour. Brought it to a dealer that has a very well known Corvette Tech on staff. He did a complete diagnostic and everything turned out OK. He thinks it went to Diagnostic Mode. He told me if it happens again (which it has not) get out of the car and close the door then reenter. With foot on the brake, press the starter button. It should start up. Have not had a chance to check out his remedy.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:32 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Starter is possibly shot..
Old 07-01-2017, 03:46 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by ETHYL
My 2014 had a similar problem and my battery was not run down. Mine started after about hour. Brought it to a dealer that has a very well known Corvette Tech on staff. He did a complete diagnostic and everything turned out OK. He thinks it went to Diagnostic Mode. He told me if it happens again (which it has not) get out of the car and close the door then reenter. With foot on the brake, press the starter button. It should start up. Have not had a chance to check out his remedy.
Thanks for the suggestion I'll try it today when I get up.

By the way I forgot to mention that I have the 7 speed manual so I will have to push on he clutch and brake

Last edited by 2 Ag R8Cs; 07-01-2017 at 03:50 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:26 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
Thanks for the suggestion I'll try it today when I get up.

By the way I forgot to mention that I have the 7 speed manual so I will have to push on he clutch and brake
You just have to push the clutch in if equipped with a manual transmission.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:59 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If you have let the battery go completely dead, I would just replace the battery and go from there. Once completely dead they are never the same. Have you even checked the voltage across the terminals to make sure you don't have a dead cell?
Old 02-28-2021, 05:25 PM
joraeperkins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

similar issues for us. Our 2014 has 71k miles. the battery is fully charged. if I push the start button, click and nothing.
put the RKE fob in the steering column, side note, only 1 remote will reset. Unfortunately, I had the non-RKE fob with me while out of town.
Took 2 hours for the tow truck to get to me... ugh. But I digress. This morning, we disconnected the battery. Reconnected it after a hour or so. I pushed the start button, click....
put the RKE fob in column, did the reset as directed, pushed start and varoooom!!!
I am thinking the starter is failing. We know it is not the fob batteries as we replaced them yesterday.
Question for the C7 experts, in your opinion, do you think the starter is beginning to fail?
Old 02-28-2021, 05:35 PM
douniasg
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Mine failed at 20k miles. I was shocked it failed so soon. I was getting ready to tow it to the shop. Decided to get under the car and the starter smelled burnt. It was pretty easy to change even with my 2" headers.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:44 PM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by joraeperkins
I pushed the start button, click....
If you actually heard an audible click from the passenger side of the engine, then, yes, a new starter is in your future.

Last edited by laserdude2215; 02-28-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:01 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

3 year old thread? Please start a new thread for your issue and thanks!

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To My 2014 will not start

Quick Reply: My 2014 will not start