C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delrin vs Spherical Bearing Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 02:34 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Delrin vs Spherical Bearing Suspension

Hi Gang,

Here are my thoughts on Delrin vs Spherical bearings. The Three levels of bushing upgrades starting with Stock are ---Urethane - Delrin - Spherical.

There is no question in the racing world that Spherical bearing is the only way to go. Urethane is a good Street upgrade because done properly it will not be noisy. Better than stock but only one step above.

Delrin is what we used when the rules banned Spherical bearings but given the choice, we always went spherical.

Keep in mind that delrin bushings in the suspension only allow motion in a single axis where spherical bearings do allow some anti dive as well.

Plus Delrin has to rely on the contact between the bushing/sleeve where the bolt goes through. The friction area is very large and that friction is increased exponentially as they are asked to do more work. (Braking and acceleration )

Delrin is 100 times better than the stock sloppy rubber but to be precise with your suspension and its function, sperical bearings are the way to go.

To show how bad the Rubber is, we did a video on the dyno that shows the wheel and the A arm bushing movement under acceleration forces.

The same happens to the front A arms when braking. imagine the tire grip that pulls the lower A arm and tire toward the back of the car (holding the car back while braking)

Delrin will tend to bind on its bushings under both Braking and Acceleration. This binding does not show up on the bench.

This in known as "Hysteresis Loss" or just plain binding that the car's suspension has to overcome before it can do its job. The same forces -fore-aft come into play all the time.

Delrin has huge Dynamic Friction induced under both Braking, and acceleration.

Like I said, in the past, we only used Delrin when the rules specifically banned "Spherical Bearings" .

Also, I see some people posting alignment numbers showing "Toe In" at both ends of the car. We NEVER run toe in at the front. NEVER.
The car will not turn easily with toe in. Toe out lets the inside wheel seek a tighter radius quicker and you will see and feel "quicker" steering. PLUS toe out gives the driver more confidence by eliminating any twitchy feel on turn in.

I will be glad to answer any questions here or you can contact me directly at LG Motorsports for technical advice that we learned through the years of racing and winning.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti
LG Motorsports

AND for those who are new to the Corvette Community: Qualifying from Petit Le Mans 2009 LG Vs Factory Corvettes GT2 class>>

Old 12-26-2018, 07:27 PM
Bandit60
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lou,

Can you comment on the reviews and feedback you have received from corvette owners who have installed your monoballs on street/HPDE cars. I have a weekend canyon carver and occasional (couple times a year) HPDE car. Running coilovers, built motor with LG headers, and full interior. I can deal with some added NVH but don't want to be in need of a dental exam after a day of southern california canyon carving. Would love to hear your thoughts.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:35 PM
Bandit60
Advanced

Anyone who runs spherical on a street/track car have any comments?
Old 01-04-2019, 12:10 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit60
Anyone who runs spherical on a street/track car have any comments?
I've driven a couple of the shop cars with spherical bushings on normal roads and the only thing I noticed was a little better steering feel (in normal street driving). The shocks on the car will still do their job whether the car has rubber/poly/delrin/spherical. and you'll love them when the car is at limit.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:50 PM
Bandit60
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
I've driven a couple of the shop cars with spherical bushings on normal roads and the only thing I noticed was a little better steering feel (in normal street driving). The shocks on the car will still do their job whether the car has rubber/poly/delrin/spherical. and you'll love them when the car is at limit.
Good to know. thanks.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:32 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Where can I purchase the spherical bushings?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:37 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
Where can I purchase the spherical bushings?
give us a call tomorrow 10am-3pm. 972-429-1963
Old 01-05-2019, 12:01 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports

give us a call tomorrow 10am-3pm. 972-429-1963
Dana good talking to you again buddy cant wait to get the parts in on the car.. Please send me a message on info on paypal again will send it to you on Monday..I will send my old rears back in to you.. Robert
Old 01-05-2019, 04:15 PM
LG Motorsports

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by robert miller
Dana good talking to you again buddy cant wait to get the parts in on the car.. Please send me a message on info on paypal again will send it to you on Monday..I will send my old rears back in to you.. Robert
Robert thank you very much you won’t be disappointed all my daily drivers that I use on track as well have these parts on the car to me there is absolutely no downside
have fun when you get them!!

thanks

Lou G
Old 01-05-2019, 08:31 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports

Robert thank you very much you won’t be disappointed all my daily drivers that I use on track as well have these parts on the car to me there is absolutely no downside
have fun when you get them!!

thanks

Lou G
For sure will call you on Monday & paypal the $$Again as always great dealing with you guys and love the C.F. hood on the car.. Robert

Get notified of new replies

To Delrin vs Spherical Bearing Suspension

Quick Reply: Delrin vs Spherical Bearing Suspension