C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My sweetheart is back from major surgery - A8 repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:01 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by jrizzuto
I am a little surprised that you are having these issues on a 2016...I thought 2016s were doing better? OK so much for having my transmission fully replaced with a newer model. I guess GM still has no clue how to resolve this.
I think they just improved their "messaging" on the subject. Talking points for the dealers.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:23 PM
PegasusCapital
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

As we all know, GM monitors this and other similar forums - - and they selectively respond. So we'll see if they are "listening" and feel the urge to react to what's going on with this post and many others like it.

The time has come for GM to step-up and acknowledge the significant and widespread problems that C7 owners (and others) are experiencing with the A8s and do a full-blown recall to repair or replace these things. At the very minimum, they need to provide detailed written information to owners (a TSB or whatever) so they know what to do when problems develop and what the alternatives are for dealing with the issues. They also need to provide all A8 owners with an unlimited repair warranty on these transmissions, regardless of time in service or mileage. Otherwise, every A8 owner has lost significant market value when they go to sell or trade their vehicle.

If it weren't for forums like this one, most A8 owners would be in the dark as to what the heck is going on.

Come on GM, are you waiting for someone to get killed or seriously injured by these faulty transmissions before you "own up"? Do you want A8 owners to file a class action law suit, or start writing our congressman and senators, the National Transportation Safety Board, Federal Trade Commission and other governmental watchdogs so they can get on your case (again)? It's time to do something about this!
The following users liked this post:
jrizzuto (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 09:37 PM
jrizzuto
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsapper
I don't have Z51 but otherwise same as you. I have the same symptoms. I've had it in twice and the response has been its normal operation. They even said they tested a couple on the lot and they behaved the same way. Note, they didn't say they couldn't replicate the issue, but the behaviour is normal.

I've been tweaking, tuning and hotrodding cars since the '70s (well actually mostly in the 70s & 80s). The behaviour feels *exactly* like a transmission with burnt clutches before it finally ***** the bed. It slips gears when cold then get's better. I can attest I know that experience quite well with C4, C6, Turbo350 & Turbo400 trannys.

I get that with TM, trannys "feel" different today, but this doesn't feel normal.
Exactly, perfect description.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:39 PM
hondaamer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Wow Jim....tough looking at some of those pictures. But I'm glad everything worked out.
I have to have mine done next week. Those pics are VERY disturbing
Old 05-18-2022, 06:29 PM
Bdean141
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This thread has made me very sad

Just started having the same issue with my C7. When I first turn it on in the morning and put it in drive, it sits for a second and then jerks violently forward before returning to normal. There is also an occasional shudder around 1600 RPMs while cruising. Came to the forums to see if anyone was having similar issues, and it looks like its going to be expensive and no one has a concrete solution. Sad day!
Old 05-20-2022, 05:04 AM
jimtreber
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HANNY
Of course the stator is in the torque convertor and a vital part for fluid coupling. In the old days you couldn't just swap out the stator you had to swap out the entire convertor.
An interesting thing that most people don't know about is there is nothing mechanical connecting the engine to the transmission, its actually fluid coupling which is kinda hard to grasp, the stator/turbine get spun up by the fins and the fluid spins them causing the car to move. Most kinda think there is something mechanical between the engine and transmission, but there isn't. Its fluid coupling. In school it took me a day to wrap my head around this idea, simple but hard to picture it in your mind.
I'm assuming the c7 convertor can be taken apart and the stator swapped out. looking at your pictures it looks like they took the trans pan off and possibly had the valve body apart to? not sure why they would do that unless the new stator requires some valve body parts to compensate for it as well.
Glad it worked and it may look scary but not to worry, its not as surgical as you would think. Now if they had the entire valve body, pump, clutches, solenoids etc apart I would be a little worried, but even then a good tech with a little training can handle it no problem. But I doubt they did unless the tech was just bored, LOL. hanny
So you are saying the A8 doesn't have a lock up converter?

Old 05-24-2022, 01:10 PM
RocksZC7
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdean141
Just started having the same issue with my C7. When I first turn it on in the morning and put it in drive, it sits for a second and then jerks violently forward before returning to normal. There is also an occasional shudder around 1600 RPMs while cruising. Came to the forums to see if anyone was having similar issues, and it looks like its going to be expensive and no one has a concrete solution. Sad day!
Have you tried starting the engine and letting the ‘cold start’ cycle complete (the RPMs return to 650)? Next, with your foot on the brake, shift the trans into drive, wait for the trans to shift, shift to neutral, followed by reverse. After you feel the trans engage in reverse, shift back to the gear of your choice.
The next time you feel the shudder at 1600 rpm, place the gearshift into manual mode. If the shudder disappears, it most likely is from the fuel management system deactivating cylinders, which it does not do in the manual mode. There are numerous articles on ‘Shudder’ and the GM trans flush on this forum. Personally, I always drive in manual mode … no shudder and better for the engine and accessories.

Quick Reply: My sweetheart is back from major surgery - A8 repair