C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud clicking noise while turning slow

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:18 AM
johnbeeman1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clicking/Popping/Snaping Sound

Originally Posted by mm2
I purchased my car brand new 8 months ago. This will be the second time this issue has to be fixed from the dealer.

Loud external clicking noise while turning left or right coming from the front. It's quite embarrassing pulling up to valet or parking garage, etc.

Such a beautiful ride with a loud clicking noise.

Anyone else have the same issue? I know it can get fixed, but is there a solution so that the noise doesn't come back.
My 2014 has a very sharp clicking/popping or snapping sound. It started when I turned left or right into a drive or a slight change in elevation. Dealer replaced the sway bars and linkage. Problem is now worse, not better. Sound is definitely from the rear half of the vehicle. From conversations, I get the impression this is a known defect. Maybe broken welds? I'm very unhappy with how this is going. It is embarrassing for sure. What the heck is going on here?
Old 10-25-2016, 10:29 AM
mm2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnbeeman1
My 2014 has a very sharp clicking/popping or snapping sound. It started when I turned left or right into a drive or a slight change in elevation. Dealer replaced the sway bars and linkage. Problem is now worse, not better. Sound is definitely from the rear half of the vehicle. From conversations, I get the impression this is a known defect. Maybe broken welds? I'm very unhappy with how this is going. It is embarrassing for sure. What the heck is going on here?
100% agree with you! What the heck is going on!
Old 10-27-2016, 08:21 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by mm2
This shouldn't be common. Below is a link to the reference video on my Dropbox. Annoying noise while turning!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkytss4vyk...%20PM.mov?dl=0
no clicking in there
Old 10-27-2016, 08:24 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mm2
100% agree with you! What the heck is going on!
call the gm hot line customer service / complaints line.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:55 AM
mm2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by walleyejack
no clicking in there
You have to download the video and listen to it. Dropbox preview compresses the hell out of it for preview purpose.

I have a bunch of clicking noise vids. I can upload via wetransfer if needed.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:53 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mm2
You have to download the video and listen to it. Dropbox preview compresses the hell out of it for preview purpose.

no, is all good, take your word for it.

i had clicking 2 weeks ago on my 16, went home, retorqued the wheels, and dumb butt at Stealership, had all the nuts torqued, except the locking nuts, so don t know if that was it or not, haven t heard it since. i would not think that 1 lose nut, would make it like, maybe was lose nut behind the wheel in this case.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:47 AM
mm2
Intermediate

no, is all good, take your word for it.

i had clicking 2 weeks ago on my 16, went home, retorqued the wheels, and dumb butt at Stealership, had all the nuts torqued, except the locking nuts, so don t know if that was it or not, haven t heard it since. i would not think that 1 lose nut, would make it like, maybe was lose nut behind the wheel in this case.
For over a year, I've had this fixed over 6 times, noise comes back after repair in 2-3 weeks. According to GM, they state it may be caused by interaction between the wheel mounting face and the wheel mounting surface on the brake rotor. They say to use a clean cloth dampened with approved brake cleaner, wipe the mounting surface of the wheels, removing any residual grey or black material that has accumulated on the wheel mounting surface.

This is nuts!!! I've driven a lot vehicles in my lifetime and never have I experience this. Such a beautiful ride with a clicking noise while turning! It's at the shop now so hoping it can get resolved. If not I'm getting into a 2017 Grand Sport, maybe I'll have better luck. This in only 1 out of 9 issues I'm having currently.

Anyways thanks for the response. At least your is fixed for now.
The following users liked this post:
walleyejack (10-28-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 03:23 PM
mm2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mm2

Lemon Law was denied since the filed Engineer could not duplicate customers concern. Bullshit! I took these videos right after I picked up my car. It's been over a year battle with GM!

Last edited by mm2; 11-01-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:13 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mm2
Lemon Law was denied since the filed Engineer could not duplicate customers concern. Bullshit! I took these videos right after I picked up my car. It's been over a year battle with GM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJQyN8c0vxc
WOW. that is just nasty, i would be trying another dealer, the seat would kill me, i would be insane with that. i would be calling the GM hot line i think if the dealer wouldn t help out.
had issues with a pick up truck back in the day, constant pulling to the right, took it back about 4 times, finally called gm hotline, amazing, dealer called me a cpl hours later and asked when i wanted to schedule it in. boom and fixed, was a well know problem with gm at that time for the year and truck.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:21 PM
mm2
Intermediate

WOW. that is just nasty, i would be trying another dealer, the seat would kill me, i would be insane with that. i would be calling the GM hot line i think if the dealer wouldn t help out.
had issues with a pick up truck back in the day, constant pulling to the right, took it back about 4 times, finally called gm hotline, amazing, dealer called me a cpl hours later and asked when i wanted to schedule it in. boom and fixed, was a well know problem with gm at that time for the year and truck.
Yah man I've been driving like this for over a year now. My experience with GM thus far has been another nightmare. They have closed 4 cases. All cases are the same. Same issues! The three in the video. I just did the final repair attempt, GM denied and closed the case since the field engineer couldn't duplicate my concerns. I took these videos yesterday after I picked it up from service. Clearly the issues are there! So now I have a lawyer involved along with the BBB.

Fun stuff

Last edited by mm2; 11-01-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:15 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mm2
Yah man I've been driving like this for over a year now. My experience with GM thus far has been another nightmare. They have closed 4 cases. All cases are the same. Same issues! The three in the video. I just did the final repair attempt, GM denied and closed the case since the field engineer couldn't duplicate my concerns. I took these videos yesterday after I picked it up from service. Clearly the issues are there! So now I have a lawyer involved along with the BBB.

Fun stuff
good luck...
Old 11-02-2016, 10:42 AM
johnbeeman1
Advanced

Default Frame and Body

Originally Posted by mm2
I purchased my car last year July 15, 2015. Since then, I've been to the dealer over 20 times for multiple issues. This is only one! The dealership tried fixing the clicking noise issue over 6 times. Depending how much you drive, the noise comes back after 3 weeks - 4 weeks. Apparently it's only 2014 -2015 Vettes with this issue!

Clicking Noise PDF Document attached from GM.
Took my 2014 back in on Monday. This time it is with the body shop. I'm told they have opened an Engineering file with HQ. They are pretty vague on the exact cause or the planned repair, but say the snapping sound is left rear. Maybe a broken weld? This is my 3rd attempt. Stand by for more info later.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 508 Posts

Took my 2014 back in on Monday. This time it is with the body shop. I'm told they have opened an Engineering file with HQ. They are pretty vague on the exact cause or the planned repair, but say the snapping sound is left rear. Maybe a broken weld? This is my 3rd attempt. Stand by for more info later.
Hi John,

I’ve taken time to review this thread and am sorry to hear your ‘Vette is at the dealership for a noise concern while turning. We’d be happy to provide another layer of assistance with the dealership and internal teams while your car is being worked on.

If interested, send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, full contact information, and involved dealership name.

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-02-2016, 03:49 PM
johnbeeman1
Advanced

Default Status

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi John,

I’ve taken time to review this thread and am sorry to hear your ‘Vette is at the dealership for a noise concern while turning. We’d be happy to provide another layer of assistance with the dealership and internal teams while your car is being worked on.

If interested, send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, full contact information, and involved dealership name.

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care
Most recent call from Sunset says they've called the Engineer twice and no response. Not impressed. John
Old 11-02-2016, 03:54 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi John,

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care
Haven't seen you guys in awhile. Good to have you back active on the forum again.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:47 PM
johnbeeman1
Advanced

My 2014 Vette has now been in the shop some two weeks (not consecutive). Dealership is providing a Cruze. If I wanted to drive around in a Cruze - I'd have bought a Camry. It's an "okay" vehicle, but my sense is the Dealership has trouble connecting with the Engineering dept - and that department is suppose to provide the trouble shooting guides. As of now, they've ordered a new rear shock and bracket. This revelation happened on late Friday afternoon (took the vehicle in on Tuesday) so another weekend in the shop. I just get this feeling that there is not sense of urgency on their end. John
Old 11-07-2016, 09:45 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

FWIW my '16 started doing it after around 4000 miles just like my old '14 did, bad enough where I could hear it with the windows up pulling in my garage.

I pulled the wheels and cleaned the rotors/wheels like I did the last time and retorqued them and its been good for about a month now.

But my car also started doing the driver seatback creak/squeak like in the video in post #28 and thats annoying the crap out of me now

Last edited by kp; 11-07-2016 at 09:46 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Loud clicking noise while turning slow

Old 11-07-2016, 09:48 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

My 2014 Vette has now been in the shop some two weeks (not consecutive). Dealership is providing a Cruze. If I wanted to drive around in a Cruze - I'd have bought a Camry. It's an "okay" vehicle, but my sense is the Dealership has trouble connecting with the Engineering dept - and that department is suppose to provide the trouble shooting guides. As of now, they've ordered a new rear shock and bracket. This revelation happened on late Friday afternoon (took the vehicle in on Tuesday) so another weekend in the shop. I just get this feeling that there is not sense of urgency on their end. John
am not trying to pee on your parade, but i would never take my car in on a friday, i would be come a drunk by the end of the weekend. gl with the fix.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:52 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kp
FWIW my '16 started doing it after around 4000 miles just like my old '14 did, bad enough where I could hear it with the windows up pulling in my garage.

I pulled the wheels and cleaned the rotors/wheels like I did the last time and retorqued them and its been good for about a month now.

But my car also started doing the driver seatback creak/squeak like in the video in post #28 and thats annoying the crap out of me now
i must be lucky, i have no issues, yet with the seat creaking, i did have clicking, i checked the torque on the wheels, and the wheel locks, the dealer installed where lose by 1/4 to 1/2 turn, i m sure that wouldn t create the click, but it doesn t do it anymore. 2016 / 3700 miles.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:24 PM
johnbeeman1
Advanced

am not trying to pee on your parade, but i would never take my car in on a friday, i would be come a drunk by the end of the weekend. gl with the fix.
I feel the pain. Driving me nuts. They've had the vehicle in their shop for 2 weeks now. Feed back is horrible. I wait.

Quick Reply: Loud clicking noise while turning slow