C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW shifter installed. Questions, knob sits high..

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 07:55 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Default MGW shifter installed. Questions, **** sits high..

Wife got me MGW shifter for xmas so I installed it today. Pretty straight forward install. I have a few questions though.

I like the stock shift **** so kept that and when I put it back on the MGW shifter I noticed two things. It sits higher now. Maybe the straight up and down is why it's higher? Just seems off to me. Did anyone else notice this? Is there a way to get it to sit lower? Why isn't this shifter angled like the stock? The stock shifter has a sight bend to it which feels more natural in my hand.

Next I noticed in some DIY pictures that the MGW shifter seems to sit at a angle in some pictures. Mine does not. It is perfectly straight. Why do I see some sitting at a angle? For instance if you scroll about half way through this post you will see theta's pictures and his sits side ways.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1586582711
Old 12-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Muuhaha
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Which version of the mgw did you get? The older style one or the one with the exposed stick?

Basic question, are you sure you installed it correctly?

I'm also assuming the picture where it's not straight is when the car is in 2nd or 4th gear

Last edited by Muuhaha; 12-25-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I think what happened was MGW changed the way the shifter is aligned. Originally you could get it with the alignment at 12 like what you have now, or offset at 7 like what you see in Thetas pictures. The reasoning was to avoid the hand grip. At some point they realized that the offset wasn't needed so they did away with that option and now the **** sits straight up and down. At least I'm pretty sure that's what I read, I could have the story wrong somewhere along the way, but I do know they only supply it the way you have it.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:51 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Thanks guys. To answer some questions from Muuhaha, yes I installed it correctly. It's pretty straight forward and I followed the directions on MGW site and from Theta's post for good measures.

I do not believe there is different models for the C7. When you go to MGW's site you select the shifter and in the drop down you select your model corvette. That is all there is to it.

Here is a a few pictures for reference. I know the **** pictures don't help much but I'll post them. I really wish this shifter was angled like OEM. It's my only complaint at this point.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:54 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

I should also add that I did not get the lubrication they showed in the videos and DIY post. The piece you lubricate already had a good amount of grease on it from factory so I moved forward with installing. Not sure why I didn't get the lubrication.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:03 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Looks right to me.. Here's my setup..

Running the slab-side stick now..

Last edited by John Micheal Henry; 12-25-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:09 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

John,

Did you notice it sat straight up and down too after your install? How is that other stick compared to the one you had before? Looks like it has a angle to it which I would prefer. Also looks like it sits lower. Does it from the stock ****?
Old 12-26-2015, 08:56 AM
stephen1254
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CDH76
Wife got me MGW shifter for xmas so I installed it today. Pretty straight forward install. I have a few questions though.

I like the stock shift **** so kept that and when I put it back on the MGW shifter I noticed two things. It sits higher now. Maybe the straight up and down is why it's higher? Just seems off to me. Did anyone else notice this? Is there a way to get it to sit lower? Why isn't this shifter angled like the stock? The stock shifter has a sight bend to it which feels more natural in my hand.

Next I noticed in some DIY pictures that the MGW shifter seems to sit at a angle in some pictures. Mine does not. It is perfectly straight. Why do I see some sitting at a angle? For instance if you scroll about half way through this post you will see theta's pictures and his sits side ways.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1586582711
The way it was explained to me was that the original MGW C7 shifter was designed so the lever could be placed in either the 7:00 or the 1:00 position. The vast majority of customers wanted the lever closer to them - the 7:00 position, but a few wanted the lever further away. Unfortunately, the 1:00 position didn't work - there was interference, probably going into 7th gear.

The shifter was then redesigned, with the lever placed in either the 6:00 or 12:00 position. That accommodated the few customers - myself included - who wanted to be able to position the lever further away from the body. That's why you see the differences in some of the early installation photos versus the later installation photos.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:25 AM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

Buy a spare shift rod from MGW, heat it and bend it to the angle you want. Should not be a problem. I bought a spare and had it re threaded to fit a **** I have owned for years.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:10 AM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

John,

Did you notice it sat straight up and down too after your install? How is that other stick compared to the one you had before? Looks like it has a angle to it which I would prefer. Also looks like it sits lower. Does it from the stock ****?
CDH76, The slab-side does sit lower and is angled back a little from the stock stick. Really like the slab-side MGW shifter hope this helps..
Old 12-27-2015, 12:11 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

OP, your **** does appear to be sitting higher than those in pics posted here and higher than mine, which I recently installed. A couple of reasons your **** could be higher: 1) You didn't thread the upper shaft all the way into the gold-anodized receiver block before tightening the lock nut. 2) You may not have pushed the **** all the way down on the shaft. I had to use considerable force to get the **** to seat all the way down on the shaft before installing the lock screw. I could see how it would be possible to do this since the **** is so tight on the shaft that you may not need to tighten the lock screw and still have the **** secure enough to shift with it.

If all this is done correctly on yours then you may need to either modify the MGW by shortening the upper shaft to lower the stock ****, get a shorter **** or go with the flat stick MGW since that version seems to be lower. I have a flat stick version also that will be going in my C5 project car soon so I look forward to seeing how that compares to the round shaft version in my C7.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:19 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
OP, your **** does appear to be sitting higher than those in pics posted here and higher than mine, which I recently installed. A couple of reasons your **** could be higher: 1) You didn't thread the upper shaft all the way into the gold-anodized receiver block before tightening the lock nut. 2) You may not have pushed the **** all the way down on the shaft. I had to use considerable force to get the **** to seat all the way down on the shaft before installing the lock screw. I could see how it would be possible to do this since the **** is so tight on the shaft that you may not need to tighten the lock screw and still have the **** secure enough to shift with it.

If all this is done correctly on yours then you may need to either modify the MGW by shortening the upper shaft to lower the stock ****, get a shorter **** or go with the flat stick MGW since that version seems to be lower. I have a flat stick version also that will be going in my C5 project car soon so I look forward to seeing how that compares to the round shaft version in my C7.
You have to push down pretty hard on it to get it to set all the way down.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:28 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Patches, the **** is seated all the way down as I have the screw in there. However I could check the upper MGW piece to see if I can get it down more.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:12 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Just installed mine.
Same issues to the T as the OP. Sits straight up and down and a touch high imo
Old 12-29-2015, 11:50 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chets ls3
Just installed mine.
Same issues to the T as the OP. Sits straight up and down and a touch high imo
What I did, and it's not much, I removed the metal washer at the bottom on the piece you screw in. Helps a little. I'm getting use to it as well.

That metal washer on the bottom is just to protect that gold plating.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:48 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picture of the MGW shifter installed on my 2013 427 (LS7).
It is a Great rock solid unit. I'm not sure they offered the flat stick back when I installed mine (which was shortly after I purchased the car new in late 2013). I also installed the round "gripper" shifter ball.
Notice the comparason of the stock unit in the second pic. No comparison. The stock piece is rather flimsy.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:44 AM
vette_fly
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed the MGW on my Z06 and I agree that it does sit higher. I measured the stock height at various points of the disassembly and the MGW sits about 1/2 inch taller with the handle screwed down to the lowest setting (with both washers removed). I actually ordered an extra C7 and C6 handle. The C6 handle has two holes and the bottom one is a bit lower, but you have to drill out the plastic notch in the C7 shift **** for it to slide down farther. I think MGW use to ship the C6 handles with the C7 kit until they made the C7 handle with one hole. Will report back after I get the handle and try it.

I'm going to see if I can angle the extra C7 handle I'm getting.

What I did, and it's not much, I removed the metal washer at the bottom on the piece you screw in. Helps a little. I'm getting use to it as well.

That metal washer on the bottom is just to protect that gold plating.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:08 AM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

I should also add that I did not get the lubrication they showed in the videos and DIY post. The piece you lubricate already had a good amount of grease on it from factory so I moved forward with installing. Not sure why I didn't get the lubrication.
They quit including a tube of lubrication ....
They put the lube on prior to shipping so you don't have to do it.
My came that way about a year ago.

I went with the MGW standard short throw shifter, with 9/16-18 threads and a Hurst T-handle.

Last edited by agapsdiver; 03-11-2016 at 05:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CDH76 (02-04-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 04:17 PM
vette_fly
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I finally got around to modifying the handle so it sat a little lower and was angled

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-for-mgw.html

Last edited by vette_fly; 03-11-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To MGW shifter installed. Questions, knob sits high..

Quick Reply: MGW shifter installed. Questions, knob sits high..