C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged stock cube shortblock??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 06:17 PM
kiley2418
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Forged stock cube shortblock??

Plan is to go with a 2200r sc in the future want to go ahead and forge the bottom end. Just wanting to see what everyone is doing spec and price wise on these? I'm looking to get some nice forged Pistons (leaning towards wiseco) and some Callie's billet rods. Should I go "h" or "I" beams?
Been told stock crank is good? May push the car to 900-1000rwhp
Any advise/opinions are welcome thanks!!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:59 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Originally Posted by kiley2418
Plan is to go with a 2200r sc in the future want to go ahead and forge the bottom end. Just wanting to see what everyone is doing spec and price wise on these? I'm looking to get some nice forged Pistons (leaning towards wiseco) and some Callie's billet rods. Should I go "h" or "I" beams?
Been told stock crank is good? May push the car to 900-1000rwhp
Any advise/opinions are welcome thanks!!
Go with the Wiseco has a new piston out big wrist pins great for a F/I set up plus always go with the I beam rods are the better stronger rod. Your stock crank will work good.

Give wiseco a call ask them about the new piston set they have for these c7 ls1. I was talking with them in sept at BG KY at the holley LS fest..

Last edited by robert miller; 10-29-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:04 PM
jdarc1
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I could be wrong but I was told that the rods were also forged and just the pistons/rings are a little weak.

Last edited by jdarc1; 10-30-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:17 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Stock cubic inch is your best bet. Ive built and owned plenty of "strokers" but the stock CI engines always last longer. Less stroke, better rod/piston geometry, beefier pistons.

The Gen V block has the same issue as the LS block does when it comes to stroker cranks. At the bottom of the stroke the piston skirt actually comes out of the bore and it allows the piston to rock. This causes premature bearing, piston, and cylinder wall wear.

At the end of the day a stock ci vs a stroker will normally make the same peak power. The difference is that the stroker will make substantially more torque. This is a good or a bad thing, when it comes to getting traction on the street without a real tire, its a bad thing. No matter what you do, you will want to look into stepping down to a 18" rear wheel with a nice drag radial with some sidewall. 18 will clear the factory brakes and it will allow you a decent tire selection. I get a good chuckle when I see these guys trying to get traction on a 19/20" wheel, its a waste of money.

Last edited by SquatchMachining; 10-30-2015 at 12:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
marcouvo (11-01-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 02:38 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining
Stock cubic inch is your best bet. Ive built and owned plenty of "strokers" but the stock CI engines always last longer. Less stroke, better rod/piston geometry, beefier pistons.

The Gen V block has the same issue as the LS block does when it comes to stroker cranks. At the bottom of the stroke the piston skirt actually comes out of the bore and it allows the piston to rock. This causes premature bearing, piston, and cylinder wall wear.

At the end of the day a stock ci vs a stroker will normally make the same peak power. The difference is that the stroker will make substantially more torque. This is a good or a bad thing, when it comes to getting traction on the street without a real tire, its a bad thing. No matter what you do, you will want to look into stepping down to a 18" rear wheel with a nice drag radial with some sidewall. 18 will clear the factory brakes and it will allow you a decent tire selection. I get a good chuckle when I see these guys trying to get traction on a 19/20" wheel, its a waste of money.
I had 15,s on the c5 & still would not hook good without paddling the crap out of it off the line. Only able to pull off the line at around 2300 then go into it from that.

Last edited by robert miller; 10-31-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:14 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Didn't realize that happened, but makes sense. Makes me feel a little better about not going to a stroker when I had everything apart.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:56 AM
SilversledC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
Didn't realize that happened, but makes sense. Makes me feel a little better about not going to a stroker when I had everything apart.
This is a good video from boutique builder Tom Nelson from Nelson Racing. At 8:40 minutes, he describes mistakes with stroking a stock block in detail. He does not mention LT1 platform and he is talking specifically the LS.

The following 3 users liked this post by SilversledC7:
Bucknut2006 (11-01-2015), Elite275 (05-09-2017), marcouvo (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 04:59 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SilversledC7
This is a good video from boutique builder Tom Nelson from Nelson Racing. At 8:40 minutes, he describes mistakes with stroking a stock block in detail. He does not mention LT1 platform and he is talking specifically the LS.

Man knows what he is talking about for sure. I would love to have a single turbo set up done by him with a small cam in it.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:10 PM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

At the end of the day a stock ci vs a stroker will normally make the same peak power. The difference is that the stroker will make substantially more torque.
Squatch, are you referring to street or track cars regarding the premature wear? Or both?
Old 11-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

The Wiseco big pin pistons are for stock rods. For some stupid reason the pins are always tight and the rods need honing.
Their pins are .945 and the rod is .944, if I remember correctly.
I sent them a stock rod a few months ago show them. Hopefully they have it straight.
I usually use Wiseco pistons with a set of Molnar Technologies rods. Tom Molnar really knows his stuff.
I keep those pistons on the shelf in case I'm in a hurry.

A&A CORVETTE
477 LAMBERT ST
OXNARD CA 93036
WWW.AACorvette.com

A&A CORVETTE SUPERCHARGER SYSTEMS
HOME OF THE WORLDS FIRST
CENTRIFUGALLY SUPERCHARGED C7

SUPERIOR ENGINEERING- SUPERIOR POWER
SUPERIOR PRICING- SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT

Andy@AACorvette.com 805- 278 4107
Old 11-01-2015, 11:14 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Andy@AandASuperchargers
The Wiseco big pin pistons are for stock rods. For some stupid reason the pins are always tight and the rods need honing.
Their pins are .945 and the rod is .944, if I remember correctly.
I sent them a stock rod a few months ago show them. Hopefully they have it straight.
I usually use Wiseco pistons with a set of Molnar Technologies rods. Tom Molnar really knows his stuff.
I keep those pistons on the shelf in case I'm in a hurry.
Andy message me a price on the pstons with +5 thou over & a set of the I beam rods. Plus a black blower set up for the car that will put me around 650 rwhp. I dont want to go crazy are go any deeper with a fuel system r nothing more.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:35 AM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by marcouvo
Squatch, are you referring to street or track cars regarding the premature wear? Or both?
Both.

Get notified of new replies

To Forged stock cube shortblock??

Quick Reply: Forged stock cube shortblock??