C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparison of MGW and Hurst shifters

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 08:39 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Comparison of MGW and Hurst shifters

Anybody have info comparing the two? All the threads I've seen are about MGW which surprises me since Hurst is, well, Hurst.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:04 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

MGW is the best shifter I have ever used, or seen.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:19 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

It is the best I have used too, not to mention it dropped my coolant temp 5 degree's.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:22 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by NoOne
It is the best I have used too, not to mention it dropped my coolant temp 5 degree's.

Hurst is a name that's been around a long time, but the MGW I had was amazing.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:23 AM
2014C7
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Does the MGW have a firm click to the feel, meaning are the gates positive feeling?
Old 08-11-2015, 06:51 AM
kiley2418
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mm_
MGW is the best shifter I have ever used, or seen.
now I haven't tried the hurst in a c7 but over the years I've had or tried in c5's, c6, Cobras etc. the Mgw was my favorite by a longshot
Old 08-12-2015, 11:47 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I had the Hurst billet shifter in my C5Z06 and throws were shorter but even without springs the effort for 6th and reverse was a little too high.

Core shifters has a shifter that uses Hurst billet plus 2 internals with old style Hurst chrome stick (the stick is changeable) and ****, and a modified base to fit the Corvette.
I bought one for my Z06 and transferred it to the C7... It has the perfect combination of short throw without excessive effort for higher gears. It does have a positive "click" when it goes into gear, so no doubt it is there.

From manufacturer:
"This Core Shifter has many superior features integrated into a unique, exclusive base assembly:

CNC-machined billet steel gear selector w/ forged upper section and black e-coat finish
Spherical pivot mechanism with a centralized spring-loaded, self-lubricating low friction polymer interface
Lack of bias springs minimizes effort to enter reverse and 5-6 gate
Reduced leverage enhances OE detent force for improved 2-3 shift
CNC-machined 6061-T6 aluminum housing sized for a tight fit around factory closeout boot
Zinc-plated laser-cut steel base-plate
Vibration-resistant serrated flange head steel retaining bolts
Simple, effective, and durable
High quality and outstanding value! "

As you said, Hurst has been the standard for shifters for almost 60 years.

Internals are from Hurst billet plus 2 shown below, with a custom base...

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 08-12-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:54 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0

From manufacturer:
"This Core Shifter has many superior features integrated into a unique, exclusive base assembly:

CNC-machined billet steel gear selector w/ forged upper section and black e-coat finish
Spherical pivot mechanism with a centralized spring-loaded, self-lubricating low friction polymer interface
Lack of bias springs minimizes effort to enter reverse and 5-6 gate
Reduced leverage enhances OE detent force for improved 2-3 shift
CNC-machined 6061-T6 aluminum housing sized for a tight fit around factory closeout boot
Zinc-plated laser-cut steel base-plate
Vibration-resistant serrated flange head steel retaining bolts
Simple, effective, and durable
High quality and outstanding value! "

As you said, Hurst has been the standard for shifters for almost 60 years.

Internals are from Hurst billet plus 2 shown below, with a custom base...

Looks like all this is, design of a shaft with a ball in a socket of low friction materials. I don't see how this could provide better shift gate definition....can some one help me on this?

I get it might be a shorter throw based on lengths, but shift feel is all about the gates and loads......I like the look of the Hurst, but, looks isn't everything....help me understand!
Old 08-12-2015, 08:47 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by firstgear
Looks like all this is, design of a shaft with a ball in a socket of low friction materials. I don't see how this could provide better shift gate definition....can some one help me on this?

I get it might be a shorter throw based on lengths, but shift feel is all about the gates and loads......I like the look of the Hurst, but, looks isn't everything....help me understand!
You are right that almost all of the way the shifter feels is controlled inside the transmission...
The geometry of the shifter can be used to shorten the throw, and help minimize the increase in shift effort created by the shorter throw...
The trick is finding a compromise of length of throw and shifting effort. Basically, all you are doing is changing the pivot point of the shifter stick.

I mainly changed to the Hurst shifter because I like the retro look, but honestly, the throw is about the same as the stock shifter..However, the Hurst shifter does have a more positive feel that the gear is fully engaged with a noticeable click.

The stock shifter below does have more vibration dampening...
I think the aftermarket shifters were a big improvement over the stock shifter in my C5 Z06, but not so much better than the stock C7 shifter.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 08-12-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:01 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014C7
Does the MGW have a firm click to the feel, meaning are the gates positive feeling?
Yes. think of it as a bolt action rifle. Why you hit the gates it is solid.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:18 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

The MGW is miles ahead of the others in quality and construction.
Aircraft craft quality stainless. Complete different design.

Don't be fooled by the others. Even the Hurst billet is just a shifter the MGW is a whole program with a superior shifter.
The stock shifter box is removed. You insulate the pocket the MGW shifter box goes you end up with a cooler quieter console.
The stock is stamped steel and pot metal.

If you could look at the under side of the MGW you can see the robustness and how it is not a ball on a stick like the stock piece and Hurst and the rest are very ho hum compared.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

You are right that almost all of the way the shifter feels is controlled inside the transmission...
The geometry of the shifter can be used to shorten the throw, and help minimize the increase in shift effort created by the shorter throw...
The trick is finding a compromise of length of throw and shifting effort. Basically, all you are doing is changing the pivot point of the shifter stick.

I mainly changed to the Hurst shifter because I like the retro look, but honestly, the throw is about the same as the stock shifter..However, the Hurst shifter does have a more positive feel that the gear is fully engaged with a noticeable click.

The stock shifter below does have more vibration dampening...
I think the aftermarket shifters were a big improvement over the stock shifter in my C5 Z06, but not so much better than the stock C7 shifter.

You couldn't be more all wet than the last statement!

Originally Posted by firstgear

Lot of difference even more when in your hand!
Attached Images  

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 08-13-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:22 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Yup that's how the MGW that I had was, replaced the entire shifter box thing and the mount.

Night and day.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:00 PM
2014C7
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Well seems like the MGW is the way.

3Zo6zr1: When you insulate the console what is that method? My storage does heat up.

thanks all I love this forum.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:54 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Out of curiosity, how does the effort required to shift gears compare between the stock and MGW? All else being equal, a shorter throw will require higher effort, but obviously everything else isn't equal.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:41 AM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Is there a site that shows all the MGW shifter *****? Looks like you can order a few different ones.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:13 PM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolShoesWalkin
Is there a site that shows all the MGW shifter *****? Looks like you can order a few different ones.
Well I think it all depends on if you go with the stock boot option or if you choose the flat stick option. With the flat stick option you get to choose the color of the stick (red, silver, grey, blue), and then choose either between a white or a black ball ****. If you go with the stock look option you just re-use the stock shift **** (specify c6 or c7), or you can opt for a 9/16-18 threaded shaft and choose between the "race ****" or the "gripper ****"

Get notified of new replies

To Comparison of MGW and Hurst shifters

Old 08-18-2015, 10:36 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CoolShoesWalkin
Just a WILD guess, but check the MGW shifter website.

www.mgwshifters.com
Old 08-20-2015, 10:10 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Just a WILD guess, but check the MGW shifter website.

www.mgwshifters.com
I found out I can use my original oem so that is good! I would prefer doing that. Thanks
Old 08-25-2015, 05:56 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Out of curiosity, how does the effort required to shift gears compare between the stock and MGW? All else being equal, a shorter throw will require higher effort, but obviously everything else isn't equal.
Everyone says the MGW has a shorter throw than the stock shifter, but no one ever posts what the throw is... The stock shifter throw is only about 3 inches from 3rd to 4th, so the MGW cannot be that much less.

My Hurst shifter feels more precise than the stock shifter, but the throw is only about 1/8th inch less.

I did see a Hinson shifter that claims to have a 2 inch throw, but the shift effort increase is significant.

Quick Reply: Comparison of MGW and Hurst shifters