C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowing oil after Supercharger install.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Vette960
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

The reservoir also vents via the OEM tubing to the passenger side valve cover. I'm
assuming one vent is sufficient; seems to be working.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:35 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

@Doug i would love to see the pm on this subject please and thanks.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:16 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Just go to our web site and look at our latest install instructions, many people have altered other kits to mimic our routing to correct the problem.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,765 Likes on 2,945 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Just go to our web site and look at our latest install instructions, many people have altered other kits to mimic our routing to correct the problem.
Good read, thank you for making that available on your site.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:14 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Good read, thank you for making that available on your site.
Glad we could help.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:16 AM
jacsa22
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Late Model Racecraft
This is why you need LMR Breather!

Could you send me the cost and how to order this breather> I added a catch can and still no help. I would be interested in purchasing this breather. 2014 Vette, Z51 with Pro charger. my zip s 08062 if needed
Thanks,
Jim
Old 12-08-2015, 04:09 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

If you want to do it properly you retain proper crankcase evacuation and add a secondary evacuation source and always keep the clean and dirty sides separate to retain the "flushing" process the PCV system does. Also, if you just allow pressure to first build and then seek relief, you are not maintaining proper piston ring stability.

A proper system like the ColoradoSpeed or Elite Engineering E2-X system will retain emissions compliance, maintain proper MAF metered air in, and provide proper evacuation pulling suction on the crankcase at all times removing the damaging combustion by-products that enter as blow-by and normally are evacuated and flushed from the crankcase before they get a chance to settle and mix with the engine oil accumulating in the crankcase.

Anyone that wants factual accurate info can PM me or go to my threads on "Proper crankcase evacuation for FI applications"
Old 12-08-2015, 11:02 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 425 Likes on 322 Posts

I had this same issue on my 6.1L Kenne Bell SRT8 and it made me dispise the car. I even had the crank case catch can. It would fill in a few hundred miles then oil would push out of a tube that went from the neck where you filled oil to the side of the 8" intake tube, down the pipe, to the filter, on the ground. Sounds exactly like our LT1 issues. I have a 2015 Z51 on the way to Ca now with a A&A kit sitting in the garage. I have no desire of installing if my car is going to leak oil and/or smell. This is such a ****** read but very informative. I hate to think we now need a $300+ catch can.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:40 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by teddyca
I had this same issue on my 6.1L Kenne Bell SRT8 and it made me dispise the car. I even had the crank case catch can. It would fill in a few hundred miles then oil would push out of a tube that went from the neck where you filled oil to the side of the 8" intake tube, down the pipe, to the filter, on the ground. Sounds exactly like our LT1 issues. I have a 2015 Z51 on the way to Ca now with a A&A kit sitting in the garage. I have no desire of installing if my car is going to leak oil and/or smell. This is such a ****** read but very informative. I hate to think we now need a $300+ catch can.

Just putting a catchcan on is rarely the answer as most only trap a small percentage of what you need, and rarely are they designed and installed/routed properly either.

Doing it correctly will make the owning experience so much more enjoyable.

Do it right once, and it is a small price to pay as the forums are so full of misunderstanding all of this it becomes very confusing.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ri-builds.html
Old 12-09-2015, 06:01 PM
fact5racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM me price on one in black too.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:28 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Since this is not a vendor thread, I wanted to note there is an alternative option to the LMR. The FSP is a high quality piece at 1/2 the price of the LMR. Nothing wrong with the LMR. It is a nice setup but I just could not justify the cost.

Here is my FSP installed.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:34 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

^^^^^
Old 12-10-2015, 12:01 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Since this is not a vendor thread, I wanted to note there is an alternative option to the LMR. The FSP is a high quality piece at 1/2 the price of the LMR. Nothing wrong with the LMR. It is a nice setup but I just could not justify the cost.

Here is my FSP installed.

Can you go over each connection and how it is evacuating? Thanks!
Old 12-10-2015, 03:45 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
They have a website if you are not familiar with how it works.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:52 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Easy enough...

There are 4 fittings that are part of the breather portion of FSP.

There are 2 fitting on the front side they connect to each valve cover.

Then there are 2 fittings in the front of the FSP. These go down under the bumper and have 2 air filters attached. This allows fumes to vent to the outsider.

There are 2 fittings on the side near the back of the FSP. The top line has a check valve and connects to the intake, right behind the throttle. The other fitting connects to the intake manifold near the front of the engine.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:58 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey Mike are you in a M7 or auto?
Old 12-10-2015, 05:53 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CDH76
Hey Mike are you in a M7 or auto?
I have an M7

Get notified of new replies

To Blowing oil after Supercharger install.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:13 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Easy enough...

There are 4 fittings that are part of the breather portion of FSP.

There are 2 fitting on the front side they connect to each valve cover.

Then there are 2 fittings in the front of the FSP. These go down under the bumper and have 2 air filters attached. This allows fumes to vent to the outsider.

There are 2 fittings on the side near the back of the FSP. The top line has a check valve and connects to the intake, right behind the throttle. The other fitting connects to the intake manifold near the front of the engine.

Thanks!!

So no evacuation, just allowing pressure to vent after it builds and seeks relief. Far better to actually pull suction on the crankcase at all times. I do like they put filters on VS the ones I have seen with open hoses that can bring dirt and debris back into the system.

It is never advantageous to allow pressure int he cranks, even small amounts as this would do. Pulling suction at all times helps maintain piston ring stability as well as aid rind seal for less blow-by and more power.

Also appears the evacuation portion is also defeated leaving the damaging compounds to accumulate in the crankcase and oil? Or is the crankcase side (dirty/foul) still using the intake manifold to evacuate when in non boost and a checkvalve to prevent boost backing into the Crankcase? And how is it providing evacuation when in boost? I like this better than the other tanks I have seen, but unless you are evacuating and flushing the damaging compounds from the crankcase at all times, you will need to change oil every few times you run to avoid excessive wear to all internal parts from these compounds.

Thanks for taking the time...just those few more questions and I can understand more as the others I have seen all defeat the critical processes that keep the engine alive, and that is not good.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:56 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Thanks!!

So no evacuation, just allowing pressure to vent after it builds and seeks relief. Far better to actually pull suction on the crankcase at all times. I do like they put filters on VS the ones I have seen with open hoses that can bring dirt and debris back into the system.

It is never advantageous to allow pressure int he cranks, even small amounts as this would do. Pulling suction at all times helps maintain piston ring stability as well as aid rind seal for less blow-by and more power.

Also appears the evacuation portion is also defeated leaving the damaging compounds to accumulate in the crankcase and oil? Or is the crankcase side (dirty/foul) still using the intake manifold to evacuate when in non boost and a checkvalve to prevent boost backing into the Crankcase? And how is it providing evacuation when in boost? I like this better than the other tanks I have seen, but unless you are evacuating and flushing the damaging compounds from the crankcase at all times, you will need to change oil every few times you run to avoid excessive wear to all internal parts from these compounds.

Thanks for taking the time...just those few more questions and I can understand more as the others I have seen all defeat the critical processes that keep the engine alive, and that is not good.
Afraid you will need Matt at FSP to explain further. What I have been told if the FSP does the same thing as the LMC. The LMC models shown above has the breathers still in the engine bay. One reason I installed this was to get the oil smell out of my engine bay/cabin so having these under the hood would bother me.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:16 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

The LMC does not evacuate at all or flush any of the damaging combustion by-products from the crankcase allowing them to accumulate and continuously build in the engine oil and on the internal parts. That is where so few understand all the functions of proper crankcase evacuation. Most only think the obvious, and that is pressure, which will always be present in any system not pulling vacuum to evacuate. Understand, crankcase pressure is always bad, and if you ar just venting, then you are always allowing a certain amount to build and be present. That is the short term negative as I laid out, but long term, 30-40-50k miles down the road when all the bearings, journals, etc. have worn beyond spec tolerances as well burning oil and excessive blow-by is present it is too late and the damage is done.

The damaging compounds are always entering the crankcase as blow-by, all engines have this, and the added cylinder pressures of FI compound this. So to just vent, it takes us back to the pre-1960's when road draft tubes were used and the only improvement you describe is the filters on the end of the vent tubes (good improvement over the others that have open hoses as the Venturi effect at speed will turn one into a vacuum sucking up dirt/dust/water/etc. from the road as the actual strength of suction is never equal, so one hose will over power the other), but to understand what the PCV system's other functions are one must first look back at the engines of pre early 1960's before the PCV system was implemented. At that time even using the best oils then (we have far superior now) and changing every 1500 miles change interval, the same engines that before only lasted 40-50k miles max before needing a total rebuild due to the wear, in the years following the mandate of all to run PCV systems now in the years following were going 100-150k miles without needing rebuilds, and it took a few years of study and research before it was determined the reason for this (same engines, same oils at the time, same 1500 mile change intervals...only difference was the PCV system) was actually evacuating and flushing these damaging combustion by-products from the crankcase before they could settle and mix with the oil contaminating it. These contaminants are the long term issue, and the only way around it as far as engine wear is to change oil every few hundred miles.

This video is one of the only training videos out there, as this is no longer taught in any tech schools, etc. very few understand anything but not wanting the oil present, and pressure. But venting is never used in any professional racing due to the damage done to the engine internal components over time and for power, the examples of pulling suction adding power is known everywhere in the professional race world, here is a video to follow on this, and although a belt driven vacuum pump is the best solution, no belt driven pumps will last long on the street:

So I really think those making these vented cans (and they are always illegal for street use in every State, but that is not my call to make) are not educated on just all that occurs in the crankcase from the combustion process it'self and all the other functions the PCV system provides that are critical to long life and little wear. They are as most, only thinking pressure and oil ingestion, and venting has never been n effective way to deal with crankcase pressure, only pulling suction on the crankcase can accomplish this as venting will always result in some pressure at all times when running.

Just look at any professional racing from drag racing to IRL and Nascar. ALL run true crankcase evacuation and they understand how critical these functions are.

You cannot use a header evac valve system with any exhaust as the back pressure will blow the diagrams. Only with open headers. They are the most inexpensive to use, an electric vacuum pump will rarely last long with the mix of compounds that are evacuated (far more than oil is evacuated), and belt driven pumps (the best solution) also need to rebuilt frequently when trying to run on the street. So the systems like Elite's latest and Colorado Speeds are the next best thing. They stop the oil, they pull suction on the crankcase at all times, boost or not, and maintain emissions compliance as well as do not void warranty like any vented or PCV defeating system does. As well as they can retain MAF metered air in many cases. What I do like about the FSP system your showing is the clean and dirty sides are kept separate instead of like the others that mix both together, but as there is no evacuation taking place, those functions of the PCV system are lost.

Thanks again for your input, and ask any technical questions on this so it is fully understood, and I welcome any of these shops to come in and go over how this is not damaging defeating these critical functions the PCV system performs (none have been willing to to date and don't want to fight with anyone, that accomplishes nothing, or get ego's involved, this is a serious issue and intelligent discussion is the only way to wade through so many "opinion" based assumptions all over the forums. So many of these same guy's are excellent mechanics, tuners, etc. but as there has been no training included for a few decades on PCV systems and proper crankcase evacuation, this is usually just left to trusting what a shop or tuner claims with no science or engineering to back it up, and at the cost of these engines, this is to important of a subject to just blindly trust in someones assumptions.

Another source outside of these forums is to simply call one of the respected professional race engine builders (not the LS street engines, but true professional call racing) like Scott Shaffirof or Reher Morrison and ask how an engine benefits from pulling suction evacuation VS just breathers venting, and get some true un-affiliated expert facts as the forum debates rarely go far w/out rudeness and name calling, and that helps none of us.

Here are some more videos dealing with vacuum pumps including dry sump multistage oil and vacuum pumps as one unit: (this first one is by far the ultimate for LS/LT based engines as well as all performance applications IMHO)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Eb4H49KQutTNRQ

There are hundreds of factual technical articles to follow and understand this so I won't fill this up with redundant links, but bottom line is there is no reason to run a system that does not evacuate and allows some crankcase pressure to be present at all times. And over time finding broken to ring lands from severe ring flutter when no detonation was present.

"Many engine builders monitor crankcase vacuum throughout the engine’s power range. From a simple vacuum gauge to a dedicated channel on a data logger, crankcase vacuum pressure is often monitored and plotted along with all the other relevant engine data to provide a more detailed picture of how crankcase pressure affects performance. If an engine loses power at a certain point in the rpm range for example, the data logger may show a sudden increase in blow-by pressure, indicating the likelihood of lost ring seal due to high-speed ring flutter or detonation, among other conditions. Whatever the case, it alerts the engine tuner who can then take steps to rectify it. "

So, the many functions of the PCV system are all critical, and only one deals with emissions.

Thanks again for helping!

Quick Reply: Blowing oil after Supercharger install.