C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coated Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:01 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

Default Ceramic Coated Headers

When I got my ARH headers, I had them ceramic coated at a local shop. Here in central Texas, anything you can do to cut under hood temperatures helps.

They seem to reduce the amount of under-hood radiated heat by a bunch. When the car is fully warmed up, you can reach down and get close to the header and it feels no hotter than the engine coolant temp.

There are a post out there showing ceramic coated headers really bring the temps down.

Anyone else experience the same or am I just imagining it?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:59 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

Not only have ceramic coatings been consistently touted as temp reducing, because they are also coated on the inside they are supposed to "scavenge" exhaust better than uncoated. IMO they look better too.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

well that's why they have the coating service. it's been done for many many many years. of course it works! I always cost my headers and my exhausts.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:01 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Just a note: coatings do what they are advertised to do, sometimes more than you bargain for.

If you are using mild steel tubing, then have the headers coated on both the inside and on the outside. If the headers are coated on the outside only, then the steel gets as hot (hotter actually by a significant amount) as uncoated steel. The engine compartment stays relatively cool, but the steel takes a beating.

If you are using a 304, I, personally, would still coat the headers on the inside. 304 transmit a lot less heat than mild steel, but is not as tolerant as the higher heat tolerant steels.

If your headers are using 321, 347 steel, the coating on the inside is not needed. If I remember correctly, these headers (uncoated) only transmit 1/3rd the energy as mild steel.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,708 Likes on 2,917 Posts

I've used ceramic coatings in a few different turbo applications and have always had great experiences with it. When/if I do headers on the Vette it won't even be a question for me. I always do internal & external when possible, and generally a double external coating on turbine housings.

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic Coated Headers

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coated Headers