C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 Front Brake Rotor Cooling Rings

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:36 PM
ceblack03
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z51 Front Brake Rotor Cooling Rings

Looking for help. I took delivery last Friday and today I was in the trunk and found a small compartment on the left side. Opening it a found a zip lock bag with two rings, wire and an instruction sheet for Z51 Front Brake Rotor Cooling Rings. See pictures. I sent a picture to my dealer but they have not gotten back with me yet. Does any one know what these are and from the picture have they been installed or is this the cooling rings?
Thanks for the help.
Attached Images   
Old 07-29-2014, 07:06 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

They are what they say, brake cooling rings. They are intended for owner installation when ,or if, you decide to track (race) your Corvette. They aid in cooling the brakes during severe use. Search this forum and you will find multiple threads regarding their use, but I believe the "how to" is in your owners manual. Most say the pleasure is not worth the pain.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 PM
ceblack03
Intermediate

Originally Posted by foreverfuelie
They are what they say, brake cooling rings. They are intended for owner installation when ,or if, you decide to track (race) your Corvette. They aid in cooling the brakes during severe use. Search this forum and you will find multiple threads regarding their use, but I believe the "how to" is in your owners manual. Most say the pleasure is not worth the pain.
Thank you!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:04 PM
TAK2TRK
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Some words of advice on installing the rings:

1) You can install them without removing the rotors.

2) While some people indicate that you can tie them off on the outside (and loop them on the inside) it is clear that this is incorrect because there is a higher potential for damage to the brake pads when installed this way. Especially at high speeds. [I installed them both ways just to check, and I would strongly advise keeping the twisted ends inside the rotor.]

3) Use a 6-8 inch piece or wire. Once tied off, you can look over the rotor, and clip the ends.

4) The access point is around 10 O'Clock while facing the drivers side wheel, and 2 O'Clock facing the passenger side wheel.

4) The easiest way for most people is to feed the two ends of the wire in, clamp them with a very small locking pliers (4/5 inch) and then twist them until the wires have a tight braid throughout. (pulling towards in inside of the car while you are twisting to ensure a good braid.)

5) Then, look over the rotor. Using wire cutters, angle the cutters slightly inside the rotor and make the cut so that the ends are just inside the rotor.

6) Twist the rotor by hand to line up the next section and repeat.

Also, I would highly recommend swapping pads for the track as the stock pads (Z51) are not up to the job if you are faster than average.

Attached Images       

Last edited by TAK2TRK; 07-29-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:02 AM
Down8
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the pictures.

-bZj
Old 07-30-2014, 10:45 AM
ceblack03
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TAK2TRK
Some words of advice on installing the rings:

1) You can install them without removing the rotors.

2) While some people indicate that you can tie them off on the outside (and loop them on the inside) it is clear that this is incorrect because there is a higher potential for damage to the brake pads when installed this way. Especially at high speeds. [I installed them both ways just to check, and I would strongly advise keeping the twisted ends inside the rotor.]

3) Use a 6-8 inch piece or wire. Once tied off, you can look over the rotor, and clip the ends.

4) The access point is around 10 O'Clock while facing the drivers side wheel, and 2 O'Clock facing the passenger side wheel.

4) The easiest way for most people is to feed the two ends of the wire in, clamp them with a very small locking pliers (4/5 inch) and then twist them until the wires have a tight braid throughout. (pulling towards in inside of the car while you are twisting to ensure a good braid.)

5) Then, look over the rotor. Using wire cutters, angle the cutters slightly inside the rotor and make the cut so that the ends are just inside the rotor.

6) Twist the rotor by hand to line up the next section and repeat.

Also, I would highly recommend swapping pads for the track as the stock pads (Z51) are not up to the job if you are faster than average.

Thank you!

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 Front Brake Rotor Cooling Rings

Quick Reply: Z51 Front Brake Rotor Cooling Rings