C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap 1LT Navigation Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 02:07 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Cheap 1LT Navigation Install

Just using my TomTom and dash mount from my CR-V plugged into the USB port. Not reception problems.
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2014, 02:11 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

What about the radio?
Old 07-27-2014, 02:27 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Originally Posted by RussM05
What about the radio?

It will still play with screen down and I can control with the steering wheel controls.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:31 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

buckeye,

I noticed when I mounted my Garmin GPS in the same spot (3LT), the screen wanted to go up or down in certain situations. Mine fits completely inside the cubby.

I'm wondering if you have had the screen try to go up and pinch the GPS. Mine went up if I shifted into reverse so it could display the backup camera.

Ed
Old 07-27-2014, 03:46 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Originally Posted by c5eddiem
buckeye,

I noticed when I mounted my Garmin GPS in the same spot (3LT), the screen wanted to go up or down in certain situations. Mine fits completely inside the cubby.

I'm wondering if you have had the screen try to go up and pinch the GPS. Mine went up if I shifted into reverse so it could display the backup camera.

Ed
Same here, you do not want to go into reverse with it in the cubby. My TomTom is a 5" display model.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

We have discussed this in (General Discussion).......but you probably missed it. Anyway, here is what the members are talking about. And they are right, when you place your car in reverse the screen automatically goes up.....you could damage your screen due to this. It appears that you have a 6" GPS, which wont' fit in the cubby compartment. I have the Magellan Smart GPS 6" frame with 5" screen.....fits perfect in the cubby.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Fore58; 07-27-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:54 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Originally Posted by Fore58
We have discussed this in (General Discussion).......but you probably missed it. Anyone, here it what the members are talking about. And they are right, when you place your car in reverse the screen automatically goes up.....you could damage your screen due to this. It appears that you have a 6" GPS, which wont' fit in the cubby compartment. I have the Magellan Smart GPS 6" frame with 5" screen.....fits perfect in the cubby.
Nice 58! You are correct, I have a 6" unit. Rare occasion when bigger is not better. Got it as Xmas gift and knew it was a bigger screen than my old one.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 PM
5150 BRD
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I did not want the factory Nav. and so I used this idea. I purchase a Garmin today. It fits perfectly in the cubby. It came with a window mount that I use as a kickstand. Works great. Cost was under $200.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:52 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate to be negative, but this looks really really really stupid. Please don't put it there, thank. Once you hit reverse it goes up automatically and could potentially cause a big issue. I think you can use Onstar for turn by turn navigation, but you just don't get the pretty high deff screen. Or you could just use your cell phones navigation and let it talk to you through Bluetooth.

You're welcome
Old 07-31-2014, 05:28 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
I hate to be negative, but this looks really really really stupid. Please don't put it there, thank. Once you hit reverse it goes up automatically and could potentially cause a big issue. I think you can use Onstar for turn by turn navigation, but you just don't get the pretty high deff screen. Or you could just use your cell phones navigation and let it talk to you through Bluetooth.

You're welcome
Fore58 has an installation that fits better, and is completely inside the cubby. My installation of a Garmin also fits inside, disappears when the screen goes up, looks great! (and is more user friendly, and works better than the factory nav in my 3LT)

You're welcome too!

Enjoy your Vette,
Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap 1LT Navigation Install

Quick Reply: Cheap 1LT Navigation Install