C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:30 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Differential

Don’t know if or when I might change the oil in the differential but I had my first opportunity to get under the car today.

The oil drain plug is readily visible. With the mufflers positioned very close to the diff, I didn’t see the fill plug. Pretty cramped. Does changing the oil require any disassembly?

If I remember correctly, looking at the very useful posts of Theta’s on maintenance, the fill plug wasn’t ID’d and it didn’t show the mufflers.

Any comments? Thanks, Don
Old 07-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Don’t know if or when I might change the oil in the differential but I had my first opportunity to get under the car today.

The oil drain plug is readily visible. With the mufflers positioned very close to the diff, I didn’t see the fill plug. Pretty cramped. Does changing the oil require any disassembly?

If I remember correctly, looking at the very useful posts of Theta’s on maintenance, the fill plug wasn’t ID’d and it didn’t show the mufflers.

Any comments? Thanks, Don
fill plug is accessible without doing anything
Old 07-18-2014, 09:17 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
fill plug is accessible without doing anything
The differential's fill plug is at the back of the differential just between it and the rear sway bar. It is not easily accessible as the space between the sway bar and the differential is very tight, and you must get the right tool to fit there such that when you screw out the plug the tool is not jammed against the sway bar. This is on my Z51.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

interesting, I didn't have any issues replacing my diff and trans fluids.

Get notified of new replies

To Differential

Quick Reply: Differential