C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Perfpormance Exhaust Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 04:43 PM
nccardfan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Perfpormance Exhaust Issue

I have 2014 Stingray that is equipped with the Z51 package. It has the driver controllable performance exhaust system. I did not like the default setting on the exhaust as the baffles in the exhaust open and close seemingly at will. Thus, I went to the "settings" and turned off the system, which should leave the exhaust in the "open" mode all of the time, in other words, the mode where it should be open and louder all of the time. There is no information about this in the owner's manual, and the dealer tells me that everything "checks our alright". Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what did you have to do about it. I had a similar problem in my C6 and it was a solenoid that controls the opening and closing of the baffles. I understand that the new system is electronic and does not work on vacuum so I don't know if it could be the same type of problem. Any experience like this and if you did, what did you have to do about it?

Thank you, Nccardfan
Old 06-29-2014, 10:30 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nccardfan
I have 2014 Stingray that is equipped with the Z51 package. It has the driver controllable performance exhaust system. I did not like the default setting on the exhaust as the baffles in the exhaust open and close seemingly at will. Thus, I went to the "settings" and turned off the system, which should leave the exhaust in the "open" mode all of the time, in other words, the mode where it should be open and louder all of the time. There is no information about this in the owner's manual, and the dealer tells me that everything "checks our alright". Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what did you have to do about it. I had a similar problem in my C6 and it was a solenoid that controls the opening and closing of the baffles. I understand that the new system is electronic and does not work on vacuum so I don't know if it could be the same type of problem. Any experience like this and if you did, what did you have to do about it?

Thank you, Nccardfan
I'm guessing what you're getting at is that the exhaust sounds like the valves in the mufflers are shut.

I had an issue where one of the muffler's valves had come unplugged. But I think the issue you're having is that the car's just quiet. Is your car an automatic? If so, try keeping the car in paddle shift mode and see if it stops going quiet. My guess is that your AFM is kicking on and your valves will automatically shut at that point.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

It could be your AFM (4/8 Cylinder activation) valves closing. Are you an automatic? These will activate in any mode. To keep it in V8, slip your shifter into Maunal.
The valves are just ahead of the mufflers and attenuate the flow by about 80% so the car doesn't sound like a fart can eqiipped Honda when activated.

Pic by Theta:

Old 06-30-2014, 05:21 PM
nccardfan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Question

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I'm guessing what you're getting at is that the exhaust sounds like the valves in the mufflers are shut.

I had an issue where one of the muffler's valves had come unplugged. But I think the issue you're having is that the car's just quiet. Is your car an automatic? If so, try keeping the car in paddle shift mode and see if it stops going quiet. My guess is that your AFM is kicking on and your valves will automatically shut at that point.
Tahnk you for your response. You may be right, the car may be "just quiet" which is too bad, in my opintion, but you response helps. When you refer to the "AFM", what are you referring to? And yes, my car is an automatic. Thanks!

Last edited by nccardfan; 06-30-2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Left out an important point.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by nccardfan
Tahnk you for your response. You may be right, the car may be "just quiet" which is too bad, in my opintion, but you response helps. When you refer to the "AFM", what are you referring to? And yes, my car is an automatic. Thanks!
Since your car is an auto, it's going into V4 mode more often than you think.

When that occurs, the AFM valves (by the way, AFM stands for Active Fuel Management) engage, limiting the exhaust flow to change the note to a more pleasant tone.

To get around this, you will want to be using the M paddle option in Sport or Track modes to limit the V4 engagement. You'll also want to open up the exhaust by disabling the Engine Sound Management by setting it to OFF. This will allow the car to be at the loudest volume when not in V4 mode.

If you would like to further increase the volume, search here for our thread on removing Fuse 41 from the front fusebox. This will eliminate the tip-in delay on the exhaust from off-idle and in sport mode, as it will leave the valves open at all times. This sounds like what you'd like to be hearing.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Perfpormance Exhaust Issue

Quick Reply: C7 Perfpormance Exhaust Issue