C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a 160 'stat available?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:32 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Is a 160 'stat available?

These cars seem to run on the hot. Are 160 degree t-stats available for
these cars yet?
Old 06-23-2014, 12:08 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

not yet. Ben at weapon x is working on one.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:29 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

They do run pretty hot, I was surprised to see the normal operating temperature around 220.

This is my first vette, so I don't have previous knowledge of how the LS engines ran.

My stang was like 190 degrees.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:45 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The thermostat doesn't do anything but set the floor on how low the temp will go. Cooling capacity is what limits how hot the coolant will get. Once you are into the throttle and running wide open for 10 or 15 minutes the temp will easily go past whatever the stock thermostat floor and probably ride about 20 to 25 degrees hotter. If your engine is running over 200 degrees the stock thermostat is wide open so having a thermostat that opens 35 degrees sooner really provides no benefit.

Not sure why people keep putting in these low temp thermostats when they don't do anything except maybe add a couple of HP on the dyno. On the street in a real world environment you won't ever see that advantage.

Bill
Old 06-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

bill I used to think that exact same thing....until I actually installed a low temp stat....guess what, it consistently ran 20 degrees cooler with a stock radiator and water pump. this was in a 2012 SS camaro. I also used one in my C5Z 408 motor and it cruised at 180.

yes, if you are road racing and pushing the temp limits then they may still rise, but one really should have at least a radiator to do it right anyways.

either way, theory states, and I agree with you, that a thermostat won't help.
practice says they work well.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:26 AM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
bill I used to think that exact same thing....until I actually installed a low temp stat....guess what, it consistently ran 20 degrees cooler with a stock radiator and water pump. this was in a 2012 SS camaro. I also used one in my C5Z 408 motor and it cruised at 180.

yes, if you are road racing and pushing the temp limits then they may still rise, but one really should have at least a radiator to do it right anyways.

either way, theory states, and I agree with you, that a thermostat won't help.
practice says they work well.
Same experience in my 1994 LT1 Firebird. I bought one from Jegs for this engine but haven't installed it yet as my motor is at Texas Speed getting stroked etc. Lingenfelter is using a 160 degree thermostat on their C7 packages.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:14 AM
ShaneFap
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

It will help period.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:04 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Whether it will help or not I don’t know and am not being critical of those who like the low temp thermostats but it will likely result in more emissions during the warm up period.

If a 160 thermostat was of an overall benefit, the factory would have installed them. Don
Old 06-23-2014, 11:55 AM
ShaneFap
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Whether it will help or not I don’t know and am not being critical of those who like the low temp thermostats but it will likely result in more emissions during the warm up period.

If a 160 thermostat was of an overall benefit, the factory would have installed them. Don
Old 06-23-2014, 01:46 PM
clwood
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If GM thought " was of an overall benefit, the factory would have installed them" doesnt apply to anything emission related. They have standards they must reach and a hotter engine helps them achieve it better. And it will keep the engine cooler until you reach its maximum cooling capacity, which by the way takes longer to reach in a racing environment with the lower t-stat.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:19 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The thermostat doesn't do anything but set the floor on how low the temp will go. Cooling capacity is what limits how hot the coolant will get. Once you are into the throttle and running wide open for 10 or 15 minutes the temp will easily go past whatever the stock thermostat floor and probably ride about 20 to 25 degrees hotter. If your engine is running over 200 degrees the stock thermostat is wide open so having a thermostat that opens 35 degrees sooner really provides no benefit.

Not sure why people keep putting in these low temp thermostats when they don't do anything except maybe add a couple of HP on the dyno. On the street in a real world environment you won't ever see that advantage.

Bill
Agree 100%. I had one in my 2005 and took it out. Large swings in temp.

No point. The 160 'stats made sense when coolant went through the intake manifold.

These cars are designed to run between 208-220 which is fine. Look other places to increase performance.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:45 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by RussM05
Agree 100%. I had one in my 2005 and took it out. Large swings in temp.

No point. The 160 'stats made sense when coolant went through the intake manifold.

These cars are designed to run between 208-220 which is fine. Look other places to increase performance.
if you had large swings in temps, you had a questionable tune.

no offense but the proof is in the pudding. gm wouldn't add timing at 176 degrees and below and remove timing above 194 if lower coolant temps didnt mean better resistance to detonation....last I checked coolant moves past the cylinders. who cares about the intake manifold? they have been coolant free since 1997.

these cars are designed to meet EPA requirements. operating temps, catalytic converters, vvt programmed for maximum egr (cam timing retard) at cruise, several fuel cutoff strategies during decel or clutch in, etc. some of those things you can keep without affecting performance and some are directly contradictory.

what one chooses to alter in pursuit of power is their choice. cooler operating temps do help with power production. maybe it isn't your first choice, I don't think anyone does it as a first mod......but then plenty of people go heads and cam, plenty go supercharger.....some do brakes and suspension. it is all up to your hearts desire. let's keep America free, ok?
Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh God not again
Old 06-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimman
Oh God not again
pretty much every topic has been discussed and debated before on this website.....maybe we should shut it down and turn it into a library?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
if you had large swings in temps, you had a questionable tune.

no offense but the proof is in the pudding. gm wouldn't add timing at 176 degrees and below and remove timing above 194 if lower coolant temps didnt mean better resistance to detonation....last I checked coolant moves past the cylinders. who cares about the intake manifold? they have been coolant free since 1997.

these cars are designed to meet EPA requirements. operating temps, catalytic converters, vvt programmed for maximum egr (cam timing retard) at cruise, several fuel cutoff strategies during decel or clutch in, etc. some of those things you can keep without affecting performance and some are directly contradictory.

what one chooses to alter in pursuit of power is their choice. cooler operating temps do help with power production. maybe it isn't your first choice, I don't think anyone does it as a first mod......but then plenty of people go heads and cam, plenty go supercharger.....some do brakes and suspension. it is all up to your hearts desire. let's keep America free, ok?
While I am new to the C7, I used 160 deg stats in both of my C6's (one of which was a Callaway). The installation of these stats brought consistently lower coolant temps with a noticeable increase in performance. Admittedly, these were used in conjunction w/ other mods (and tuning). Hard to believe the same would not hold true w/ the C7...
Old 06-24-2014, 04:57 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

In my C6Z, the temps were consistant between 176-182 regardless of outside temps with a 160 stat. The correct fan settings and tune play a big part.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:45 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

Why will it make power at 180 degrees than 210? Last time I checked, it takes more air and fuel. So how does 30 lower coolant figures into that?

Get notified of new replies

To Is a 160 'stat available?

Old 06-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Why will it make power at 180 degrees than 210? Last time I checked, it takes more air and fuel. So how does 30 lower coolant figures into that?
say what?
Old 06-24-2014, 10:07 PM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lower temps a} help prevent detonation/allow more tming/reduce knock retard and b) allow a denser air charge.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:22 PM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Lower thermostat helps. car sits right at the thermostat temp . If the had lower thermostat it might still drive only a little cooler but thermostat would be wide up sooner slowing the car from cooling. I see 220 degrees fast (guessing that is point thermostat is wide open) then slowly climbs from there..
in the beginning on the track I think off throttle it would help it cool faster for at least a lap or two till when it is over 220 anyway..
I regularly see 240 or over on the track.
Thermostat is just one step. Radiator is also needed. Radiator on this car is not good enough. Hence why they redesigned the whole cooling on the Z06. Bigger radiator and bigger hood vent

Quick Reply: Is a 160 'stat available?