C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-05-2015, 07:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension How-Tos
Print Wikipost

How-To: Remove/Replace Rear Shock Absorbers (without FE2,FE4)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:33 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default How-To: Remove/Replace Rear Shock Absorbers (without FE2,FE4)

The following How-To covers the explanation of how to Remove/Replace the Rear Shock Absorbers without the FE2,FE4 Options and includes specifications, schematics, etc.

These How-To guides are neither endorsed by or property of Corvette Forum or myself in any way/shape/form. All liability stemming from any actions taken in relation to these guides is solely placed upon the user.

We hope you will find these guides useful.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Name:  oDtbVLL.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  452.6 KB
Old 06-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Name:  uzxO5dZ.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  392.9 KB
The following users liked this post:
Pineapple (07-21-2018)
Old 10-28-2019, 12:36 AM
mmilkov
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some improvisation regarding the note "Do not tighten the lower shock bolt until the vehicle is sitting on a flat service." With the car on the ground, I measured the compression of the old shock absorber by drawing a line on the shock body at the level reached by the shock's black collar. I replicated the the same line on the new shock, which in my case is the Z51 shock so it is the same length as the base suspension shock. I then installed the new shock. With the car still jacked up, I pushed up the lower control arm using another jack until the shock got compressed to the line I drew. My hope is that this compressed the suspension to the same level as when the car was sitting level on the ground. I now tightened the lower shock bolt to the required torque spec. By doing this, I avoided having to torque the lower shock bolt with the wheel installed, which is more difficult even if you have the car on ramps. Any comments whether this approach is allowable?
Old 10-28-2019, 11:08 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Should work fine. Do this all the time when installing suspension on cars that are on a lift.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:43 PM
Red86Cfour
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

If there is more pressure in the new shock, the ride height may be slightly higher and so you would need a different reference mark. But I doubt there is much difference (unless the old shock was completely wasted and had zero nose pressure) so I'd say you were fine.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:14 AM
olblue75
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Springs support the weight of the car, shocks absorb spring oscillation. So even if the shock were worn out it wouldn’t matter since they don’t support the weight of the car.
If you jack the car at the control arm till the suspension stops moving and your raising the whole car that’s a good time to tumor time your bushings.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:54 AM
Red86Cfour
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by olblue75
Springs support the weight of the car, shocks absorb spring oscillation. So even if the shock were worn out it wouldn’t matter since they don’t support the weight of the car.
If you jack the car at the control arm till the suspension stops moving and your raising the whole car that’s a good time to tumor time your bushings.
True but shocks still have some pressure in them, and so they do contribute somewhat to the ride height because of that pressure. Is it significant in this situation? Like I said, probably not much.

If you jack up the car under an A-arm, that corner will be bearing more of the weight than the other three corners, so its not a good time to tighten your bushings. Not seeing your logic on this one.

Get notified of new replies

To How-To: Remove/Replace Rear Shock Absorbers (without FE2,FE4)

Quick Reply: How-To: Remove/Replace Rear Shock Absorbers (without FE2,FE4)