C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off she goes to Vengeance....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Good question! I will check in tomorrow with Kevin and see where we're at. The crank should be there this week (might already be there), pistons are there, various parts are there or coming, and the machine shop is working on the block. We're close to building it back up as far as I know.

I will post tomorrow and let you guys know. I've been gone for several days now, so I'm a little out of it.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Thanks for the update I am getting excited and it is not even my build..lol.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I'm pretty excited, as well (of course)!

Last few weeks have sucked with car luck, though - both my wife and I were hit at RED stop lights (different cars on different days) by the people behind us... drunk driver behind me did quite a bit of damage to my one-off AutoX MINI (claiming he never saw me, hit me at 35mph while I was parked), so that's kind of had me in a funk.

So here's hoping that doesn't extend to the C7 when it comes back!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:30 PM
RpeterK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sean I hope your both ok. That is some bad luck for sure.

Originally Posted by Theta
I'm pretty excited, as well (of course)!

Last few weeks have sucked with car luck, though - both my wife and I were hit at RED stop lights (different cars on different days) by the people behind us... drunk driver behind me did quite a bit of damage to my one-off AutoX MINI (claiming he never saw me, hit me at 35mph while I was parked), so that's kind of had me in a funk.

So here's hoping that doesn't extend to the C7 when it comes back!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Wow, Sean! This build sounds incredible-I can't wait to see it. When is it due back?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I think we're just a few more weeks out if we're still on track - need to talk to Kevin to see if we're still good for 2-3 more weeks.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:51 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you are ok. Can't wait to see the results of your build.

My new wheels should be here next week.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:52 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Nice! Can't wait to see them!
Old 07-23-2014, 12:57 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice! Can't wait to see them!
Me too! Lol
Old 07-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Late Model Racecraft
Supporting Vendor

Received 629 Likes on 327 Posts

Theta, hope all is well and sorry if I missed something. I thought you were sending the car to Vengence for a cam install? Did that happen and if so how much power was gained? If not, what made you chose to pull the engine out? Sorry if I am sounding nosy, just curious what changed your mind?

We had a customer order a LMR750 package from us, and once he visited the shop and saw all the other C7s getting packages he had to have something different so we ended up pulling the engine on his as well to upgrad to a 416ci for extra insurance. Just curious if the same thing happened to you. Modding car is worse than drugs, you can never have enough! =)
Current C7 World Record Holder 7.55 @ 184 MPH

Quickest and Fastest GEN5 LT Powered Vehicle
LMR1200HP Supercharged C7 8.84 @ 160
LMR1200HP Twin Turbo C7 9.35@155mph-2014
2 TIME OUTLAW DRAG RADIAL LSX CHAMPION 2008/2010
9.47 ZR1 Corvette-2009
LATE MODEL RACECRAFT
713-466-9900
LateModelRacecraft.com

Too many PMs, please call or email instead, thanks!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

That's exactly what happened here, too, Reid.

Had the blower and those goodies, then sent the meth kit down to get installed along with a cam. Wanted to do forged internals for safety, then realized that we'd be doing/buying the same amount of work and parts (minus a new crank), so the 416 made more sense.

It wasn't cheap to buy the 'forged insurance' as I like to call it, so this ended up being a little (okay, a lot) cooler and easier to swallow. Should be a torque monster! We were going to go the route of stock cubes with a bigger blower, but the 1500 + a 416 will give that nasty low torque that I was needing.

Heard from Ron today - we're just waiting on the crank to finish production and then it's off to the magic shop for the rest of the build-up.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Late Model Racecraft
Modding car is worse than drugs, you can never have enough! =)
Way more expensive (unless you have a nasty addicition), but a lot more to show for it with cars after you blow through the money.

And here I swore I was only going to put an intake on the C7....
Old 07-24-2014, 10:05 AM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the blower and those goodies, then sent the meth kit down to get installed along with a cam. Wanted to do forged internals for safety, then realized that we'd be doing/buying the same amount of work and parts (minus a new crank), so the 416 made more sense.

It wasn't cheap to buy the 'forged insurance' as I like to call it, so this ended up being a little (okay, a lot) cooler and easier to swallow. Should be a torque monster! We were going to go the route of stock cubes with a bigger blower, but the 1500 + a 416 will give that nasty low torque that I was needing.

Heard from Ron today - we're just waiting on the crank to finish production and then it's off to the magic shop for the rest of the build-up.
Awesome you are getting the stroker too Sean! I'm still waiting for TSP to do that work on my motor been 7 weeks now. BTW, I am copying your Wide Band/Boost gauge setup so thanks for posting that.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:44 PM
tkbigsky
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sean, don't know how you have the patience to hold out this long, your a better man than me. Very interested in seeing the numbers. Did you change blowers? I'm still vacillating between which blower to go with in combination with headers, cam and probably alky as that seems to buy some insurance along with a solid tune. I just can't justify sending it out until closer to fall as you only have so many great driving days here in Montana and these cars need to be driven.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by robertf97
Awesome you are getting the stroker too Sean! I'm still waiting for TSP to do that work on my motor been 7 weeks now. BTW, I am copying your Wide Band/Boost gauge setup so thanks for posting that.
Should be a lot of fun for both of us! I'll send you a few other pics to show you where I drilled along with the bit if you'd like.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by tkbigsky
Sean, don't know how you have the patience to hold out this long, your a better man than me. Very interested in seeing the numbers. Did you change blowers? I'm still vacillating between which blower to go with in combination with headers, cam and probably alky as that seems to buy some insurance along with a solid tune. I just can't justify sending it out until closer to fall as you only have so many great driving days here in Montana and these cars need to be driven.
Ehh... I would love to have it back now, and it's taken a lot longer than we expected, but the delay is with the crankshafts. They're doing their best to get them, though - trust me.

VR has been great to work with, and we've done everything custom along the way. Ron has kept me in the loop constantly, and Kevin is doing a great job organizing the build.

We're staying with the Novi 1500 - moving up was just going to cost too much to be honest. No reason to lose so much money on a blower with ~500 miles on it, especially since we'll have no problem hitting our power goal with the stroker.

I would highly recommend you do the meth - it's excellent insurance, and gives a good power boost via cranking up the timing.

I'd love to have your weather right now! What's making this wait bearable are the high temps that I probably wouldn't be driving in anyway. My damned back still hurts, so spending time in a car's seat at the moment still isn't entirely enjoyable.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:44 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

WOW! It has just took off! The 416 WILL give the TQ you want! My 1500 on a 427 was great! But your another level or two past that!
Hope everything goes well ! It can be a slippery slope to get where you want!

Glad everyone ok from the hit from the rear! I would make them pay for insuring poor driver's! ESp drunk ones!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 07-24-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Off she goes to Vengeance....

Old 07-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
WOW! It has just took off! The 416 WILL give the TQ you want! My 1500 on a 427 was great! But your another level or two past that!
Hope everything goes well ! It can be a slippery slope to get where you want!
It's been an expensive slope, but VR's worked with me every step of the way with this phase of building, pricing, etc.

Important disclaimer: Never make a spreadsheet on mods!

Waiting's never fun, but it could be a whole lot worse - constant communication goes a long way. I'm just excited to get something back that's built to last, and rock-solid.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:44 PM
tkbigsky
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ehh... I would love to have it back now, and it's taken a lot longer than we expected, but the delay is with the crankshafts. They're doing their best to get them, though - trust me.

VR has been great to work with, and we've done everything custom along the way. Ron has kept me in the loop constantly, and Kevin is doing a great job organizing the build.

We're staying with the Novi 1500 - moving up was just going to cost too much to be honest. No reason to lose so much money on a blower with ~500 miles on it, especially since we'll have no problem hitting our power goal with the stroker.

I would highly recommend you do the meth - it's excellent insurance, and gives a good power boost via cranking up the timing.

I'd love to have your weather right now! What's making this wait bearable are the high temps that I probably wouldn't be driving in anyway. My damned back still hurts, so spending time in a car's seat at the moment still isn't entirely enjoyable.
Hope the back heals quick. I had my knee replaced 4 days after my car arrived and still feeling the pain. It's amazing what you can force your body to do when you have one of these sitting in the garage. Actually the car feels good on the knee as my leg is pretty much fully horizontal and the shifts help stretch it out. Get well!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:02 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by tkbigsky
Hope the back heals quick. I had my knee replaced 4 days after my car arrived and still feeling the pain. It's amazing what you can force your body to do when you have one of these sitting in the garage. Actually the car feels good on the knee as my leg is pretty much fully horizontal and the shifts help stretch it out. Get well!
So... what you're saying is that the C7 is actually physical therapy? Awesome! Sign me up!

Quick Reply: Off she goes to Vengeance....