C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring rate data for the C7...??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Default Spring rate data for the C7...??????

Anyone know if this info is out there?

C5/C6 data available but haven't seen anything on the C7 yet..

C5/C6:

Ooops...sorry! I see a similar post a few threads down. Tried to delete this....No love.

Last edited by Modshack; 06-16-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
Anyone know if this info is out there?

C5/C6 data available but haven't seen anything on the C7 yet..

C5/C6:

Ooops...sorry! I see a similar post a few threads down. Tried to delete this....No love.
if they run 1 spring and all you do is change shocks and sways and you have a z51 thats great news. I would prefer the non Z51 gears.
But I'll live with the z51 gears!
Old 07-20-2014, 12:42 AM
C7Kevin
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
if they run 1 spring and all you do is change shocks and sways and you have a z51 thats great news. I would prefer the non Z51 gears.
But I'll live with the z51 gears!
Several major problems with the "homemade" Z51 that you propose. Such a car will never be able to run the MSRC system that is an option only available for Z51s.

Also, you would not have the e-LSD feature that aids handling as much as traction.

Also, a non-z51 will miss out on the larger wheels, tires and larger/better brake rotors. Even if one could afford the fortune it would cost to buy the bigger wheels, tires and rotors over the parts counter, one would still end up with confused computers.

Just don't forget about the computer changes which all come along, under the radar, with the Z51 suspension changes. I suspect that by changing the springs/shocks alone, you could confuse the computer(s) that monitors the suspension and allows Stabilitrak to function.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but facts is facts.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C7Kevin
Just don't forget about the computer changes which all come along, under the radar, with the Z51 suspension changes. I suspect that by changing the springs/shocks alone, you could confuse the computer(s) that monitors the suspension and allows Stabilitrak to function.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but facts is facts.
First, I don't think anyone is trying to "Duplicate" a Z51....Just adding the few bits to a base car to make it better. Having done Z51 sways and shocks I can confirm the improvements (for a fraction of the cost). Also there is no Monitoring of the suspension without MRC. Stabilitrack monitors Longitudinal and lateral motion (G) sensors as well as the ABS sensors. A well balanced car driven smoothly will rarely, if ever, find Stabilitrack imposing..
Old 07-20-2014, 11:43 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

First, I don't think anyone is trying to "Duplicate" a Z51....Just adding the few bits to a base car to make it better. Having done Z51 sways and shocks I can confirm the improvements (for a fraction of the cost). Also there is no Monitoring of the suspension without MRC. Stabilitrack monitors Longitudinal and lateral motion (G) sensors as well as the ABS sensors. A well balanced car driven smoothly will rarely, if ever, find Stabilitrack imposing..
Well, I guess you learned a much different dialect of English than I did.
When somebody says "all you do is change shocks and sways and you have a z51 thats great news", it sure says to me "just change the sways and shocks ALONE and you have a Z51". No, you f-ing don't have a Z51 for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

I may be incorrect, but I also believe that the "suspension computer" needs wheel travel data to determine what it needs to do its work IN SOME CASES. So, the "suspension computer" does not need MSRC to function. I don't know all of the C7 details at this low a level. Almost nobody else on this forum does either.

I don't doubt that you have seen significant handling improvements at a lower price with only installing shocks and bars on a base car rather than buying a Z51. So what? Don't let ANYONE try to tell you that you have built a Z51 in so doing. You're not even close. You'd still be missing larger tires+brakes, better rotors, e-LSD, drysump, PDR, MSRC, differential and transmission cooling and, of MOST importance, superior Michelin tires that all come with, or are available on, a Z51. Perhaps low price is your only priority. Then good for you as it GREATLY simplifies your task of achieving what, to you at least, is an objective.

I merely laugh at the thought processes that cause ANYONE to claim to have built a Z51 equivalent C7 when they left out most of the important pieces that come with a Z51. Absurd nonsense!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:54 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

c7kevin you are incorrect (borderline retarded) about everything except the elsd. thats the only thing you cant retrofit. there are no suspension computers unless you go mag ride.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:21 AM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I would put the Z51 springs, swaybars, and shocks on the base car.

I don't think that the Hyperco C7 leaf springs are out yet. Their street springs would be similar to the Z51 while their track springs would be similar to T1 springs.

And I don't think that the GM T1 kit is out yet for the C7. But those are very high rate.

But wow, the Penske direct fit coilovers are out for the C7:

http://shop.penskeshocks.com/CORVETTE-C7/

They say that the coilover option produces a lowered car. That's different from what they say for the C6.

And strangely enough, the Bilstein racing coilovers say that they are direct fit:

http://www.bilsteinus.com/news-event...w-motorsports/

But they suggest that the shock valving range is limited to race springs

Last edited by B Stead; 07-21-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by B Stead
I would put the Z51 springs, swaybars, and shocks on the base car.

I don't think that the Hyperco C7 leaf springs are out yet. Their street springs would be similar to the Z51 while their track springs would be similar to T1 springs.

And I don't think that the GM T1 kit is out yet for the C7. But those are very high rate.

But wow, the Penske direct fit coilovers are out for the C7:

http://shop.penskeshocks.com/CORVETTE-C7/

They say that the coilover option produces a lowered car. That's different from what they say for the C6.

And strangely enough, the Bilstein racing coilovers say that they are direct fit:

http://www.bilsteinus.com/news-event...w-motorsports/

But they suggest that the shock valving range is limited to race springs
coilovers are adjustable height and many times damping. every coilover kit for any car I've ever installed has been.

I would not say the Bilstein or Penskes are "out" even though they are advertised as such. I had some on order for over a month before I canceled. "Oh yeah, we are still getting all the parts together for the kit." wtf, thanks for billing and charging me like they are in stock.

so i put on some Z51 shocks. screw it.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Well, I guess you learned a much different dialect of English than I did.

I may be incorrect, but I also believe that the "suspension computer" needs wheel travel data to determine what it needs to do its work IN SOME CASES. So, the "suspension computer" does not need MSRC to function. I don't know all of the C7 details at this low a level. Almost nobody else on this forum does either.
You appear to be responding to someone other than me. I didn't say those things nor imply them. Get over yourself (and your Z51)

I'd also get a little more familiar with your car before making misleading statements as well. There is no "Suspension" computer you speak of. All suspension components (non MRSC) are purely mechanical.

Last edited by Modshack; 07-21-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:50 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
coilovers are adjustable height and many times damping. every coilover kit for any car I've ever installed has been.
Most coilovers have a shorter shock body length than OEM or Replacement and therefor most coilovers produce some amount vehicle lowering even at their highest setting. (The shorter shock body length instead of a shorter spring tends to maintain bump suspension travel on a lowered car.) Of course most Corvette lowering is only 3/4" to 1". The Penske C7 coilovers say that they are 1.5" shorter than OEM. Spring length is also a factor but the coilover says that it requires some amount of car lowering for rebound shock stroke. Then they also offer a non-coilover shock that is OEM length. Well, just read the link.

I don't see any of the coilovers that I linked as not having adjustable dampening

Last edited by B Stead; 07-21-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

I would not say the Bilstein or Penskes are "out" even though they are advertised as such. I had some on order for over a month before I canceled. "Oh yeah, we are still getting all the parts together for the kit." wtf, thanks for billing and charging me like they are in stock.

so i put on some Z51 shocks. screw it.
$2500 (Penske's) Vs $300 (OEM Bilsteins)....Wow. I'm fine with the Z51 set-up and suspect you will be too
Old 07-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

$2500 (Penske's) Vs $300 (OEM Bilsteins)....Wow. I'm fine with the Z51 set-up and suspect you will be too
bilstein makes coilovers for the car too and honestly, if they had been ready when i ordered them, i would have them instead of the Z51 shocks but instead they helped me redirect 2700 dollars to some other waste of money bs.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Most coilovers have a shorter shock body length than OEM or Replacement and therefor most coilovers produce some amount vehicle lowering even at their highest setting. (The shorter shock body length instead of a shorter spring tends to maintain bump suspension travel on a lowered car.) Of course most Corvette lowering is only 3/4" to 1". The Penske C7 coilovers say that they are 1.5" shorter than OEM. Spring length is also a factor but the coilover says that it requires some amount of car lowering for rebound shock stroke. Then they also offer a non-coilover shock that is OEM length. Well, just read the link.

I don't see any of the coilovers that I linked as not having adjustable dampening
"most coilovers"
"let's say"
"read the link"

sounds like more babble without experience.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:27 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

sounds like more babble without experience.
Well, you've counterpointed a post that says that the suspension should not be changed and you've counterpointed a post that says that it is okay to change the suspension.

I think you would do better to just post your own recommendation for suspension upgrade.

The very first sentence of my first post in the subject gave my recommendation for suspension upgrade for those not building a race car or all-out track car
Old 07-21-2014, 03:34 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Well, you've counterpointed a post that says that the suspension should not be changed and you've counterpointed a post that says that it is okay to change the suspension.

I think you would do better to just post your own recommendation for suspension upgrade.

The very first sentence of my first post in the subject gave my recommendation for suspension upgrade for those not building a race car or all-out track car
why do you even post here? do you have a vette? do you have a car? are you a vendor? what are you trying to accomplish?

it's like if I read a book about oceanography and then went to the fishermen's forum and told them my recommendations for catching perch.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:49 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

c7kevin you are incorrect (borderline retarded) about everything except the elsd. thats the only thing you cant retrofit. there are no suspension computers unless you go mag ride.
I'd rather be "borderline retarded" than fully retarded like you.
You're the only one on this thread who is retarded. Why don't you go climb back under a large rock.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

I'd rather be "borderline retarded" than fully retarded like you.
You're the only one on this thread who is retarded. Why don't you go climb back under a large rock.

Get notified of new replies

To Spring rate data for the C7...??????

Old 07-21-2014, 03:55 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

You appear to be responding to someone other than me. I didn't say those things nor imply them. Get over yourself (and your Z51)

I'd also get a little more familiar with your car before making misleading statements as well. There is no "Suspension" computer you speak of. All suspension components (non MRSC) are purely mechanical.
Why don't you try reading more carefully or at least more intelligently.
My original reply was OBVIOUSLY to the person who said "shocks and bars = Z51"
That should have been perfectly clear to you.

Get over yourself while you're at it.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:02 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

100% wrong, as usual.
please tell me just how you are able to retrofit MSRC and Traction Control. Traction control is only available with e-lsd.

I NEVER said anything previous to this post about ANYTHING being not able to be retrofitted. I never even attempted to discuss retrofitting
of ANYTHING !!!

Can't your read? Why don't you aim before you fire.
I'm so tired of dealing with the retarded(on this forum only).
When you come up with some correct information, have another go, but from here on out I have nothing to say to you.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:08 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

100% wrong, as usual.
please tell me just how you are able to retrofit MSRC and Traction Control. Traction control is only available with e-lsd.

I NEVER said anything previous to this post about ANYTHING being not able to be retrofitted. I never even attempted to discuss retrofitting
of ANYTHING !!!

Can't your read? Why don't you aim before you fire.
I'm so tired of dealing with the retarded(on this forum only).
When you come up with some correct information, have another go, but from here on out I have nothing to say to you.
Traction control is only available with ELSD? Wrong. You MUST be a troll. That's the most retardedest thing I ever did heer. And, I am wrong "as usual?" Please quote any post of mine in any thread where I was wrong.

This is absolutely hilarious! You are going to struggle in this lifetime, my friend. I feel sorry for you.

And I am aiming very carefully now. You are the one who decided to wear the red shirt.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 07-21-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Spring rate data for the C7...??????